Sign in with
Your question

Swapping Hard Drives

Last response: in Windows Vista
January 5, 2013 11:56:46 AM

Okay, so the background is that I have a Sony Vaio LV150J all-in-one desktop that I've had for several years. I am not having issues with the computer--I've only recently decided to upgrade my HDD to a larger drive because I'm starting to run out of room on my 500gb. I'm wanting to eventually use my new 2TB Seagate drive as my primary HDD and relocate my old 500gb OEM Seagate as a secondary drive.

That being said, I'm quite fed up with Seagate's DiscWizard utility. I've tried to clone my old drive to the new and it keeps getting screwed up. I keep getting an error saying that there is a Bitmap Error--something is corrupted. I've gone through tech support with Seagate and they're not very helpful. I've read that there are a lot of problems with Seagate's clone utility and that it'll screw stuff up. I've already run multiple diagnostic tests from chkdsk to Seatools to dos-based diagnostic and not finding anything wrong with either drive.

So I'm to the point where I'm just wanting to take my old 500gb HDD out and do a straight swap with my 2TB drive and use my Vaio recovery disks to install a fresh copy of Vista. I know that this in the long term will work out better to have a fresh copy of windows installed.

That being said, I am wondering if after I swap HDDs and after I reload Vista on the new drive if I can then plug in the old HDD as my secondary drive and transfer files off of it onto the new HDD? I'm curious to see if the windows boot partition on the old HDD will cause issues if I plug it in while running Vista off of the new HDD?

I use Carbonite as my web-based back-up for my files as my fail-safe. But it would be much easier if I can reload windows on the new HDD and then copy files from the old HDD once the new is up and running. Once done transferring, I'd then like to wipe the old HDD and use as a secondary. Any issues going this route?

More about : swapping hard drives

January 6, 2013 7:04:55 AM

" I am wondering if after I swap HDDs and after I reload Vista on the new drive if I can then plug in the old HDD as my secondary drive and transfer files off of it onto the new HDD? I'm curious to see if the windows boot partition on the old HDD will cause issues"

You can attach/install your old drive no problem. Although it contains an active partition it's on a separate hard drive so it doesn't matter. It's only when there's more than one active partition on the same physical hard drive that you need to make one inactive.

However, there is one problem you'll encounter. When you try to access your user folders on your old drive you will get "Access Denied" error since you are now using a different user account. Fix that by "taking ownership" of those folders:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-take-ownership-and...
m
l
January 7, 2013 2:25:46 AM

Thanks for the tip!

However, I'm currently having issues with not being able to use my Vaio Recovery discs to re-install Vista on my new HDD. It keeps hanging and giving me error messages.
m
l
!