Hukapu

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I recently built a new computer with a Q9450 and im seeing some really strange temperatures from speedfan.

Core0 - 51c
Core1 - 60c
Core2 - 65c
Core3 - 65c
These temps are at idle.

I've tried the CPU in 2 different motherboards, and its showing the same temperatures in both.

Is this just a bad CPU?

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Real temp is the only program proven to work with the Q9 series. It should report about 8-10c less than Speedfan.

So, going with the new temps, still a bit high, but within reason.

More worrisome is the difference between cores, 14c is a bit much. If I recall correctly, the Intel spec is for less than 10.

Some early chips had stuck sensors, needed RMA'ing. I had to send my first chip back for that reason.

Are you using the stock heat sink? And if so, is it properly seated with thermal grease?

Hukapu

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for the response guys.

I just tried out realtemp and heres what its showing at idle/load
Core0 39c/48c
Core1 51c/51c
Core2 53c/59c
Core3 53c/59c

Test sensors is showing
Core0 - 5
Core1 - 0
Core2 - 2
Core3 - 2

So it looks like one of the core1 is stuck, do the sensor results explain why core2/core3 seem so high compared?

I'm using a coolermaster hyperTX2, first thing i thought when i saw the temperatures was that i had done something wrong, so i put the stock heatsink on just to make sure i hadn't applied the thermal paste wrong, and the idle temps were reporting at close to 70 on core2/core3.

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Well I know a brand new Q9450 will have temps ranging from 28-35c. If the CPU has been overclocked radically it can brick itself into a tempreature zone. Most quad have thermal sensors that are stuck and there are ways of "unsticking them". The only core you have that's sounds even remotely reasonable is core 0 which is at least 4c over temp.

DID YOU BUY THIS CPU USED?

Hukapu

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
No it was brand new and i haven't been using anything other than the default BIOS settings.

I ended up taking it back, heres the numbers off the new one at idle

Using Real Temp 2.60

Core0 32c
Core1 39c
Core2 34c
Core3 42c

Sensor Movement
11, 6, 8, 6

From everything i've read this is still a little bit strange, but at least none of them are stuck this time around. I'm tired of taking this cpu back, this is good enough ... LOL.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Just wanted to point something out.

There are basically NO programs that were designed for getting core temps.

Why?

Because Intel does not publish the Tjmax temps. And the Tjmax temps are what gives these programs (Speedfan, CoreTemp, RealTemp) the readings you see on them.

All those program assume what the Tjmax is, which is different, one program will think it's 100C or 105C while the other thinks it 95C. That is why you have different readings.

I think the best thing to go by, is the Tcase temp. That is the temp you will see displayed in the bios, and single CPU reading on Speed Fan (not the cores) or the MB utility app that came on a CD for the MB, which reads the Tcase sensor, like the bios. Also, Intel does publish the Thermal Spec, which would be the max temp that you'd see on the bios/Tcase temp reading, which it should not exceed.

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Your cooler is good enough, are you in a warm part of the world and also which case do you have? Plus 35c at idle isn't great really. Air flow around the case can give you about 2-3c.