With the power of a broadband Internet connection you can use your computer as a free phone service, enabling you to make long-distance and other potentially expensive calls from the comfort of your PC. You can accomplish this by using an online phone service program such as Skype, VOIP Buster, or PhoneGnome. All that is required is that you have a microphone on hand to allow your voice to be heard.
1. Navigate to the web page of a phone service client and download the required software.
2. Save the downloaded file to your desktop for safekeeping.
3. Double-click on the downloaded file and select the option to "Install."
4. Restart your computer.
5. Open the "Start" menu, click on "All Programs," and open the phone client program.
6. Input the number to be called and press "Call" to complete the call.
There are many ways to call from your computer. But the usual way is through the internet and using a voip service. Now choosing a VoIP service is tricky. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa. I suggest know your needs and look for a provider that will fill those. Of course, the cheaper the better as long as its giving you good connection.
If you want to try it out, then you can sign up with Onesuite for as little as $10 and you can have your account and call via computer plus you can use the same account as a calling card aka dial around service. It's prepaid so no worries about monthly plans.