Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 - P6N Plat - Broken

Last response: in CPUs
July 18, 2008 11:05:05 AM

To start off, when I first got my system, OC'ing seemed easy till 3ghz range, dual or quad core wise. When I set the FSB to 333 or 1333mhz (for my settings), the system simply would not boot causing me to reset my bios. There were times when I could OC to 3.1ghz and then the bios screen would freeze.

When I first starting thinking about it, I thought I was hitting some FSB walls because of my chipset (NV 650i). Well it turns out I was wrong, but on the right track. It was the chipset, but not like I was thinking till I found out another cause that was keeping my OC's to a min.

So, I was thinking about the amount of heat going on with the MB's HS over the voltage regulators, down to the North and South bridge:

Since I had a IR Thermometer, I decided to really look at the temp readings I got from it. Keep in mind I couldn't get a steady temp, so I ranged it. On idle, for my 2.880 OC, temps were:

1.) Voltage regulator mosfet - 48/50C
2.) NB - 48/50C
3.) SB 41/46C
4.) RAM 41-46C

With it under a load, using prime 15mins +:

1.) Voltage regulator mosfet - 63-71C
2.) NB - 62/63C
3.) SB - 62/63C
4.) RAM 46-49C

That really got me thinking. As you can see on the load temps, the heat was pretty much affecting the SB allot, and I know its not going to get anywhere near the temp, and really doesn't need a HS, imo.

So my plan was to break that chain HS on my MB. I brought some parts:

RAM - even though it wasn't part of the HS on the MB, I thought why not. :lol: 

Thermaltake CL-R0026 Aluminum Heatsink

This product was easy to install, but I had heat spreaders on my ram that had adhesive to keep them on. I spent a good hour cleaning off all the sticky crap, mubbling... why did they do that? :lol:  After I cleaned them up, I was kinda worried if I damaged anything, especially when I ripped off the heat spreaders:

Turns out my RAM was okay on Memtest, which I ran 2 hours, and without the heat spreaders, was doing about the same load temps when Memtest was running.

This is what the MB looks without it's aluminum, copper spray painted HS:

It was kinda tough getting the HS off the South bridge. Turns out MSI used an adhesive on that chip. And yes I was mumbling again.. why.. why... why???

So I bought the COOLER MASTER RR-NCW-L4E1-GP Copper (Skived fin) Fan&Heatsink for the South Bridge, even though I didn't think it really needed it. I had to modify the HS to fit on the MB though, it went as far as breaking a fin off to drilling holes in it to mount it. I also had worries when I had it on, if the video card would go on correctly. To my relief, it did. :D 

Next is the NB. Which I brought the Thermaltake CL-C0034 Copper Fan&Heatsink.

I wanted to get a different one, that had the heat pipe exposed, but had an idea that I'd have problems centering it on the NB chip which is really small, and I use a huge tower HS for the CPU which doesn't make things fit like I want. So this NB cooler works okay with my MB which swivels to fit.

Last but not least, the voltage regulators.

Thermalright HR-09U Mosfet Cooler

I wasn't really sure about getting that, but I did. It basically covers all the voltage regulators, but again I had to modify the mounting since its system didn't fit my setup. I basically used some of the mounting hardware from the cool master NB/SB HS.

So my rig looks like:

After all the work, and money spent into it (90 bucks)... The system never booted again. :heink: 

Okay.. I had to plug the power back in the PSU. :whistle: 

And it basically worked. I was able to push the system to 3.2, but it wasn't stable. I haven't had the time to tweak everything, but I'm still happy with the 2.880 OC atm. The temps are now no longer linked together. On load, with my original OC:

1.) Mosfet - 50-52C
2.) NB - 47-49C
3.) SB - 36C
4.) RAM - 35C

I'm not really sure about the RAM HS I got for the temp reading since they are really big, and its hard to say if its really dissipating the heat, or hiding the heat signature from my IR.

Here is the CPU-Z on the 3.2 OC that wasn't stable:

Q6600

Heh, just in case, I using speed step. My multiplier was resting at x6, on load it would be at x9. On load temps were still tolerable, but my ambient temps were 83/84F which I didn't like for the system to run at.

I did get a BSOD during the short testing. Guess I have some more OC'ing to test out to see if I can get this thing to 3.6ghz. My main conclusion to why some NV 650i chipset may not do so well, is that its basically over heating with their current cooling on the NB chip.

More about : q6600 p6n plat broken

July 18, 2008 11:22:11 AM

You couldve bought a cheap p35 mobo for slightly more than 90 bucks. The nvidia chips arnt good for ocing, especially quads
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 11:56:18 AM

It could just be your chip doesn't OC well...
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 12:40:26 PM

Good job and nice review!
I knew the linked heatpipe systems would share the temps but I never knew by just how much! With everything this cool, you should have no problems dumping enough voltage into your Nb to get it stable.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 12:44:12 PM

@ Blackwidow_rsa

Yes he could have, but it is much more impressive that he did not. Modding an underperforming piece of hardware is much more rewarding than dumping unnecessary cash at it. Besides, some of us enjoy the challenge :D 
a c 127 à CPUs
July 18, 2008 1:10:12 PM

Nvidia chipsets = Fail with OCing.

Good luck though Grimmy. Maybe someday in the future you can grab a cheap P35/P45 to replace it with and get nicer more stable OCs.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 18, 2008 7:25:32 PM

Hmmm.... If its BSoD have you tried upping the memory voltage or even the timings?

When I was OCing my Q6600 to 3GHz, my mobo set my memory voltage to low and I had to set it to spec in order for it to run without a BSoD while Prime95 testing.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 18, 2008 7:40:15 PM

Just checkin. I have yet to try for over 3GHz. Although I know my HSF will be good for 3.2GHz and maybe 3.4GHz (Zalman 9700) but I am too lazy to try and set the voltages and Prime 95 and such especially when its getting to about 110+ during the day and my car gets 125+ if I don't roll the windows down lol.

Although it would be a good compariaon between the P35 and 650i chipsets that people can look at and see if they really want SLI or the ability to PC much easier....... I shall think about it.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 18, 2008 7:55:05 PM

Yea my AC wont cool it with 2 PCs running almost all day in the living room. But it still stays decent. But its monsoon season so 100F+ wirth 50%+ humidity just sucks. Heck even 80F with 50%+ humidity sucks.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 8:52:05 PM

Nice grimmy. 3.6GHz out of chips runnng a 266MHz FSB is just a bit too much for most 'setups'. Few make it to 3.6GHz stable with the Q6600. The chip is not built for that kind of stress, nor is the 650i. That's how I see it anyway. Maybe someone running stable at 3.6GHz with their Q6600 can post their specs or perhaaps a 'link' to such a monstrosity LOL. I use two of these on my systems. Positioned on top of the RAM and blowing directly down on top of the chipset area it does a formidable job cooling down my A8N32-SLI Deluxe 939 16 x 16 , which is the hottest running MB made in recent histiory. Newegg raised the price 5 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This thing can be positioned directly over the RAM, video cards and MB chipsets too. The Zalman 92mm fan is fast and powerful (same fan as on a lot of their CPU coolers). I use this in conjunction with the Corsair RAM fan on the A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

http://shop3.frys.com/product/3480403?site=sr:SEARCH:MA...

Never heard of this seller, but the bracket is worth $8.95.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=fb123
a c 127 à CPUs
July 18, 2008 8:53:50 PM

^You haven't see the 4GHz chips have you? Some people are getting 4GHz on air but its very hot. I know its more possible on water.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 8:57:01 PM

A Link would be helpful.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 9:25:15 PM

You are getting to 3.2GHz at times although not stable yet. That's what you should expect. Unless Rod Serling shows up and that Outer Limits song starts playing 8).
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 9:33:23 PM

badge said:
Nice grimmy. 3.6GHz out of chips runnng a 266MHz FSB is just a bit too much for most 'setups'. Few make it to 3.6GHz stable with the Q6600. The chip is not built for that kind of stress, nor is the 650i. That's how I see it anyway. Maybe someone running stable at 3.6GHz with their Q6600 can post their specs or perhaaps a 'link' to such a monstrosity LOL.

Yeah, after a certain point they require a boat load of voltage to get stable.
My Q6600 goes 1.285V stable at 3.0Ghz => 1.35V stable at 3.2Ghz (still testing for lowest stable) => 1.55V stable at 3.6Ghz.

Don't know why it reads DDR3, though.
Still pumping the DDR2 along...
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 9:43:38 PM

Have you run totally stable on anything other (lesser) than the P45? I didn't consider the newer Intel X38/X48/P45 chipsets. I was thinking of earlier times and chipsets.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 9:49:32 PM

Quote:
Q6600 @ 3.2 (400x8) 1.35v 24x7
@ 3.6 1.55V Gaming

So complete stability is at question at 3.6 GHz.?
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 9:57:05 PM

Yup, 100% stable at 1.55V.
Prime95 tested for over 12 hours is when I will declare my Oc's stable.
Take it even notch lower on the voltage and it looses stability.
Like I said, takes a boat load of voltage to keep it stable after a certain point.

Up until 2 weeks ago it was stable with the same settings on an ASUS P5K-Deluxe WiFi.
Before that, I had a MSI P965 Platinum with a E6600 that would run at 3.6Ghz, 1.45V.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 10:02:18 PM

Surprised at the stable mark on the P965. My B3 won't come close. I didn't push the volatge to the limit though. That's great, pretty impressive really. I see many posts here struggle at 3.6GHz. You are downclocking your RAM's data transfer rate and also reducing your multiplier to get the processor to run at those transfer rates. Ok.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 10:14:07 PM

Well, Grimmy when you wake up, I have this suggestion. :sol: 

Quote:
Cooling:
Total of 11 x 120mm Scythe S-FLEX SSFF21D 8.7dBA fans
Swiftech Apogee GT water-block
Swiftech MCP655 Pump
2 x 120mm Radiator with 4 x 120mm fans
AS5
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 10:15:08 PM

Yeah, that has been my project of late.
I don't see to much of a point running my ram at 1066Mhz when my fsb is running so much slower. I pinned the 4-3-3-3 timings with a 13 hour stint of memtest. The memory settings on the P5Q-E are just amazing! 20 different settings you can tune on it! Seems the only one they left out was the command rate settings. So far, I have the first 11 settings tuned to their limits.

As for the P965 Mb, I think I was really lucky. Most MSI Mb's don't overclock very good in my experience. Too cheap of construction and components. As for the chipset it self, it can still push past 500Mhz if you have a good CPU.

The E6600 was a B2, BTW. Q6600 is a G0. From what I hear, the B3 Q6600's can hardly be pushed past 3.2Ghz in most cases. To darn hot. Still, that is all you really need for now.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 10:20:29 PM

Nice. I think you are ahead of the pack. Your RAM will perform better within your system at the higher transfer rates as it perfroms it's internal functions independently of the the systems's FSB, but minimally in the end. Nice OC's Outlaw669. You are my hereo. 8)
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 10:20:47 PM

badge said:
Well, Grimmy when you wake up, I have this suggestion. :sol: 

Quote:
Cooling:
Total of 11 x 120mm Scythe S-FLEX SSFF21D 8.7dBA fans
Swiftech Apogee GT water-block
Swiftech MCP655 Pump
2 x 120mm Radiator with 4 x 120mm fans
AS5

Lol
It defiantly helps.
Great kit for only $200 on newegg.
Got it at the same time as the Q6600, the E6600 was all done with a Zalmin 9700.

Those S-Flex fans are the best upgrade I could have ever done.
My flat is tiny and this system is so silent now :) 
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 10:24:43 PM

Thanks for the nice words!
Just wish I could get the Gf to see it in such a nice way...
She always gives me such a blank look when I say anything about it ;) 
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 10:27:16 PM

Yeah. My wife is busy being a doctor, she could care less about me and my little computer.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 10:35:02 PM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

You sir are a lucky man!

I guess if I keep mine long enough I could end up in the same situation to. She is studying to be a lawyer and I doubt she will have time to care how much time I waste on my toys.

I must say badge, that is one hell of a case! With that much airflow, I would think you could push your Q9450 pretty far. Kinda makes my full tower feel smaller than it already dose looking at it...
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 10:43:35 PM

LOL. My case has 11 120mm fans installed. I just looked up the Scythe S-FLEX SSFF21D 8.7dBA fans on Newegg. On sale. I may buy some. I have some Antec tr-cool and some generic in my case, tri cool strategically placed. But yeah, this case is the coolest running case I have ever owned. It has 4 seperate chambers and can run two systems simoutaneously. The second would be Mini atx.

I have Q9450, E8400, Q6600 and E6600 all up and running. use them all the time. My son games on the Q6600/P65, the E6600/965G/9600GT is my HDMI on a 40" 1080P Samsung and a month ago, check this, I built my wife the E8400 on a micro 35G with VISTA 64! I swapped all her files over from a Socked 754 machine and she is Vista 64 babay!!!

You know, I'm strange in that I crave total stabily and reliance on my systems, so I don't overclock my computers we use for important things around the offices and such. I have many systems running and ovreclock them more when they get old. I'm just strange like that. I love my Q9450 in My Config. It's stock as rock. Kinda like a an L54 '69 Vet right off the assembly line! LOL.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 10:48:56 PM

My daughter will start graduate school next summer. Possibly pepperdine. With all the money it's going to cost us, she is expected to become the second coming of Sigmund Freud.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 11:10:31 PM

You sir are a funny man!
Good luck with her schooling.
I hear the classes in top universities are a PITA to keep up with.

The S-Flex 21-D's are very quiet. If you put you tri-cool's on low, imagine them with out the annoying buzz and a little quieter. The down side is that they only move a little over 33 CFM.

Nearly used one of the micro P35 Mb's for my girls rig a few weeks ago. Not bad for the price and size. I love how you can build one in a case about the size of a vcr and not have to worry about having somewhere to put it. Ended up getting the P5Q-E and building hers out of all of my old parts.

And here I was thinking my 24" was fun to game on :o  He must have had to mow the lawn for about 5 years to get a 40" for his system! How dose it work for him? I have thought of doing something similar once I am a little more settled in Germany.

Stable is nice. Forcing it to be 100% stable with a 50% overclock is just fun though! It takes about a week to do right after work but it is an enjoyable experience. Just hoping that I can find somewhere to buy some better coolers for my 4850's bye the time my ram is 100%. Either that or I will have to take the Gf's system back and "optimize" it for her ;) 

All right, I need to get some sleep now.
Have to help the Gf film a segment on Frankfurt's Christopher Street Day in a few hours :cry: 
a c 127 à CPUs
July 18, 2008 11:44:31 PM

^remember guys that not all systems are the same. I have my Q6600 @ 3GHz stable but my voltage is at 1.225v unlike your 1.285v. So maybe 3.2GHz will be easier for me than it was for you.

Oh and that was 12.5hours Prime95 tested by me and is running 24x7 @ 3GHz.

To tell the truth I didn't even try for the lowest possible voltage. I figured out what was making it unstable and that was my memory was being set at 1.8v when the spec was 2.1v so it didn't like it much. One good thing out of it though was being able to put the memory timings to 4-4-4-12 stable too.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2008 11:49:46 PM

Watch out for those 'street' people in Frankfurt is my ongoing rule. LOl.

My son uses the Q6600/ASUS P965/8800GTS 640 on a 20" Viewsonic to game with. I built a HTPC (Zalman HD-160 HTPC case) with the E6600/965G/9600GT/dual boot Vista 32, XP and currently have it hooked up with an HDMI cable to the Samsung 40" 1080p in the bedroom.

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=273...

Yeah, my daughter says, "I'll be in school for the rest of my life," when asked about it. I keep reminding my wife how much my daughter is so much like me! LOL. She says, "yeah right". Seven years of graduate school to become a clinical psychologist. She'll have to dump a bf or two to make it.

I am in to cool and quiet and small enclosure machines. I have four micro machines currently. Two at the front desks of our offices. I built the Vista 64 micro machine my wife currently uses with cool, quiet and small in mind. Every fan on this system is adjusted to it's lowest setting except the 8600GT including the Zalman 9500. ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro,

then E8400, 4 gigs G. Skill PC6400 Micron chips., 8600GT, Antec Basic 500w PSU (super quiet), WD SATA 250 w/Vista 64 Ultimate, WD 500 SATA storage, Zalman 9500. I used this case. Cheap but a very effective cooling solution. This system runs cool and on it near lowest cooling capability. You can only hear the video card fan when sitting at the desk. The Antec PSU is exceptionally quiet.

a c 127 à CPUs
July 19, 2008 12:23:10 AM

^Ohhhh.... do you have the LN40a550? I have the one and it is hooked up to my current PC and I stream my Naruto Anime in HD over too it. It looks purdy. That and I watch all my moves through my PC to my TV due to better quality on the PC compared to a DVD player.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2008 12:35:24 AM

We have the 15K contrast ratio with the special anti glare screen. We would have to order a new HD receiver and have some changes made to our satellite, so we have just the basic digital stream right now. It still looks quite good, but a HD input for the digital TV would be nice. I watch movies on it through the 9600GT. I've been exploring the possibility of a Blue Ray DVD ROM, but they are still expensive and only select DVD titles are available, so i haven't bought a BR player yet. besides, that Zalman HTPC case has only one 5.25 slot, so I would need a burner on there too. Yeah, I'm pleased with the Samsung 1080p so far. A friend of my son's father who owns and operates a TV service center recommemded Samsung because the replacement parts are easy to get.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2008 12:38:54 AM

When I first hooked up the HTPC to the Samsung 40" 1080p and connected the internet to it and sat there in the bedroom with my cordless mouse and keyboard 'in bed' and checked my email...my wife said, "you have got to be kidding!"
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2008 3:03:06 PM

I have the earlier stepping. so after I learn all this about 'where' to set the Vcore I doubt I can run cool enough at much over 2.8Ghz or so. Maybe I'll go to 1.55 Vcore like outlaw6669. Wait, I seem to be missing my water cooling unit I never bought. I retract that. I'm happy the way I am. Really, I am 8).
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2008 3:36:47 PM

My Q6600 is running at complete stock on the ASUS 965P, speedstep is also activated. The processor shows great temps with Coretemp (forget specifically the 4 cores, but checked the temps the oother day). But, the rest of the system has come up hot since I installed the 8800GTS 640 a month ago. Strange the 7900GTS 512 ran so cool in the Antec 900 case. Talk about high temps, the A8N32-SLI Deluxe 16 x 16 939 has to be all time champ as far as MBs go. I think in the dead of winter, outside, that thing would defrost the frozen ground in the front yard . Hey planting season 8).
a c 127 à CPUs
July 19, 2008 5:59:53 PM

badge said:
We have the 15K contrast ratio with the special anti glare screen. We would have to order a new HD receiver and have some changes made to our satellite, so we have just the basic digital stream right now. It still looks quite good, but a HD input for the digital TV would be nice. I watch movies on it through the 9600GT. I've been exploring the possibility of a Blue Ray DVD ROM, but they are still expensive and only select DVD titles are available, so i haven't bought a BR player yet. besides, that Zalman HTPC case has only one 5.25 slot, so I would need a burner on there too. Yeah, I'm pleased with the Samsung 1080p so far. A friend of my son's father who owns and operates a TV service center recommemded Samsung because the replacement parts are easy to get.

Hmm... I think that may be the 440 series cuz mine has 30k to 1 contrast ratio.

Grimmy, its coming along nicely but it still seems the chipset is holding you back.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 19, 2008 6:24:36 PM

^oushies. Well as I said if at some point you can get a new mobo grab either a P35 (P5K-E is the best one for that) or a P45 and then you can easily reach the 1600FSB.

This is the unit me and my fiance decided to get:

I started to watch Smallville in HD on that and it was so amazing I almost fainted.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2008 6:36:37 PM

I'm not a fan of Samsung although they are a very competive, very well organized GIANT S. Korean company. It seems like every time I buy something from them it fails. I had a Samsung cell phone that was pretty good for a year. But, our friends own and operate a TV service center (factory warranty authorized) and they suggested Samsung because parts are easy toi get. Funny story...their son corrupted the Boot files on their Gateway PC they use in their business to download programming software for updating units under warranty. I think they even had all their business files on that PC. The mother called me late one night and ask if I could fix it. Haha. I restored the boot sector (much to her relieved delight) and installed another 512 MB RAM and blew the dust out of it (cough). LOL. Her husband wants me to come over and work on customer computers at his shop. I don't think they have a computer repair that I know of! I built his son's gaming PC. His son had a friend of the family build his first gaming machine. The guy took a junk old Gateway system and installed it in a gaming case with a side panel window and blue LED fan and called it a 'gaming' PC. The kid sat in front of it playing WOW one frame at a time! Unbelievable.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 19, 2008 6:40:33 PM

^Yes you would.

Badge I understand how you feel. I myself am not a fan ofSony products as I have had such bad esperiences with them.

I miss good ol American electronics. Glad that PCs are still mostly done by American companies.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2008 6:53:13 PM

Samsung competes with Sony very well. Sony is a company that has the propensity to take a 'standard' specification like say, 24" LCD and make a 24.4" inch and call it like you know...a VIAO enabled state of the art TV mechanism which of course means 'spend your money needlessly for no reason'. LIke .0000002 more cache or something on a DVD player makes them righetous enough to ask like double the price of their competitiors. Of couse the specs Sony is manupilating from standard are not even used by the component anyway, but it looks good and justifies charging double price for 'it'..Vaio again. I will say the Sony 40 incher on display was the only unit that had a noticably sharper, brighter picture than the Samsung 40" unit we bought. I like Sony, but not the price. Samsung offers same specs for much less.

a b à CPUs
July 19, 2008 6:57:59 PM

I have a quick thought for you Grimmy. If you are keep failing at prime95 even after adding more voltage, drop it to a 6x multiplier and retest. If it keeps failing, it probably needs a little more voltage to your north bridge. If it then tests stable, wait for winter and crack a window as it is probably your CPU at that point.

To be honest, you really don't need to much speed out of these to keep your system responsive. A while back I had mine running at 1.2Ghz, 1.1V (the minimum my P5K would go) just to save a few € on my electric bill. Never noticed a difference so I turned the clocks back up. Never felt sluggish or anything with the low clocks.

Anyways, best of luck getting it stable.
I'll check this thread on Monday and see how it worked for you!
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2008 7:02:39 PM

Apparently my Vista 64 Ultimate Processor Power State 'default' is minimum 5%, maximum 100%. That's in a Balanced configuration. So, if you set the maximum at 70% (with the OC to 3.3) the CPU temp goes to 51C, not 61C with default settings in Power management? Sheesh! But with only 70% power to the CPU when stressed, how does it reach 3.3Ghz. stable? I don't know, how do it do it. 8)
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2008 7:52:06 PM

Your are setting the Vcore by increaseing or lowering the processor power state through 'Vista Processor Power Management' and by doing that the processor speed adjusts accordingly with the amount of power Vista is feeding the CPU. What have we here?
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2008 9:37:51 PM

Grimmy, how about posting this in the Vista 64 section and post with the screenshots.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 21, 2008 12:05:40 AM

^oooh a nice feature for Vista. Something good being said about Vista. Now where are the anti-Vista mobs to say how bad it is?

Thats cool. I might see if I have it and mess with it. I myself love Vista so far as it has yet to crash on me. Although I wish ATI had more stable drivers. For some reason they like to crash while I am playing flash videos for long periods of time....

And Grimmy, congrats on a nice stable OC.
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2008 2:45:44 PM

Good OC Grimmy!
To think what a better Nb cooler would do...

Very interesting feature you have found.
I am going to have to play with that later :) 
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2008 4:39:14 PM

Logitech 512 has has Vista drivers? I have two 512's and I have no Vista driver. I looked, but I have none? My 518 has a Vista driver. And my two L5 laser mice have Vista Drivers. My Logitech 500 is running on Vista 32 right now with no Vista drivers. Had to buy a second L5 laser for a second Vista 64 system and retire the 512 from that system, no precision driver.

Ok, so we know a Logitech 512 is incompatibale with nvida 750i chipset and a more than average Q6600 OC. How's your keyboard hangin' with the 750i? :o 

a b à CPUs
July 24, 2008 6:51:48 PM

Quote:
Perhaps things are just getting corrupted.

Nah, that feature comes preinstalled in Nvidia chips. You overclock your BUS, things are running dandy for a day, maybe a week, who know a month maybe. Then, the 'feature' kicks in. :sarcastic:  Your machine crashes to ground, you run out and buy new HD, video card, RAM and mouse trying to solve the issue. Then you find out there was no rational reason for the rash other than it's a built in feature of Nvidia. Been an nvidia standard since 939 you learn. There's nothing wrong with any of your components. Cool huh. :ouch: 
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2008 6:52:12 AM

For a 'higher' overclock, take the PCIE frequency in BIOS from 100 to 110. See if you can get to 3.5 GHz. with that adjustment. If the 110 setting is 'stable' with a higher system BUS, try 115. I'm assumimg you have it locked down a 100. Be careful, your RAM is going to go kaput at 2.4v.
!