Terrified New Overclocker -- Phenom II

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
April 19, 2009 6:14:35 PM

I haven't actually purchased the new parts yet, I'll be running (most likely) an ASUS M4N72-E motherboard with either a Phenom II 920 or 940. I'm still mulling over my finances on that one.

I've never overclocked before, and I'm not looking to get anything more than the stock heatsink/fan that comes with the chip. I'm running a 500W power supply.

I want a system that's stable and won't overheat. I don't need to push any boundaries in terms of speed or the chip's maximum potential. I'm just wondering if there's a safe, easy way to squeeze a little more juice out of the CPU.

How far can I push either chip without getting too complicated? From the little I've understood of what I've read, I'd be willing to tinker with the multiplier, but not much else.

More about : terrified overclocker phenom

April 19, 2009 8:41:23 PM

ubernoob said:
I haven't actually purchased the new parts yet, I'll be running (most likely) an ASUS M4N72-E motherboard with either a Phenom II 920 or 940. I'm still mulling over my finances on that one.

I've never overclocked before, and I'm not looking to get anything more than the stock heatsink/fan that comes with the chip. I'm running a 500W power supply.

I want a system that's stable and won't overheat. I don't need to push any boundaries in terms of speed or the chip's maximum potential. I'm just wondering if there's a safe, easy way to squeeze a little more juice out of the CPU.

How far can I push either chip without getting too complicated? From the little I've understood of what I've read, I'd be willing to tinker with the multiplier, but not much else.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

$169 for the Phenom 2 940.

that's a big price drop for a weekend sale. Sharky just came out with their CPU price guide last week
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/WCPG/article.php/38...

i don't know about OC'ing them (other than they are reported to be OC'ers) but the price is getting right.