PC suddenly very slow overnight

xeract

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Hello,

My PC has been running great recently, but yesterday I had some heavy slow down shile playing TF2. It was late, and I thought it might just need a reboot so I turned it off. This morning when I turned it on it seemed fine, until I played TF2 again. I rebooted once more, and this time it took about 10 mins just booting up. When it did, it was running exremely slow. I tried again in safe mode and the same thing happened.

I disconnected the second monitor as well as disbaing SpeedStep in the bios. It was noticably quicker but still slow. I went to safe mode and restored system to a few days ago, now it gets to the login screen quicker but once I login it's again extremely slow to load up.

I'm at a loss to what this could be. I checked the CPU fan and it seems fine, not dust covered either. I only recently got a replacement GPU (7900GT) so I doubt it could be that. Does it sound like I need a new CPU, or could it be something else?

As it is too slow to load any program up I haven't done a spyware check yet, but there doesn't seem to be any new processes running. Could spyware or a virus have this effect?

Thanks for your help

xeract

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Quick update, just checked the BIOS and CPU is running at 83C (it's an intel core duo 1.8GHz), is that too high?

83c is way too high. Your CPU is throttling to a lower clock speed. Are you using the stock heatsink?

If you are check the heatsink and make sure its on right. Seems like you are more than likely having a bad heatsink seating.

Wow. Double-dang. Check that HSF. Make sure the fan is still running, and that it is properly seated. You may need to remove it, then clean off the old thermal paste and apply a fresh layer before reseating your HSF. Use 91% isopropyll alcohol for the job.

xeract

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for all the responses.

I reseated and its cooled right down to 55C, so that's alright now. It's still very slow on startup though, although I can now start it up so a definite improvement. Do you think it is still throttling? Or is there something else wrong?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
@ 1.8ghz... it shouldn't even be idling at 55C, that is if its at idle.

If it's the stock 4 push pin type... take the time to find a 3rd party HSF, that is non-4 push pin, and has a back plate. Although, you may not like taking your system apart, it is the best bet I think.

xeract

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
What I don't understand is it has run fine with exact same CPU and heatsink for over 2 years. I can understand that before it was reseated it was throttling, but now it is close to 30C lower why is it still? Is there any way the throttling hasn't turned itself off whenit should have? (I know nothing about this sort of thing)

I have no probem taking apart the PC, but I'm more worried that something else is the problem as the temperature has dropped so much.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Atm, I'm on my E4400 rig. It's OC to 2.8ghz (speed step is off), and its stock is 2ghz, only 200mhz faster then your 1.8ghz CPU.

The idle temp right now on my chip, is 30C, which is the Tcase (what the bios temp would read) sensor, and my ambient temp is 28C.

One difference is, I'm using a tuniq HS on it, and it uses a back plate. The 4 push pins are kinda crappy if you ask me, and will break down in time. I still think your idle temp at 55C indicates that 1 of the pins are not secure.

I guess another thing to think about is why after one night, your CPU temp went to 83C in the first place. I can only conclude that the 4 push pin failed to keep the HS in place.

Edit:

After all, the 4 push pins are made out of plastic, which will get brittle in the heat/cold after so long.

Shodar

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Chalk this one up to good old "socket creep". Happens over time in computers when something like a stick of RAM or CPU or Heatsink that shouldnt move, does due to contraction and expansion (heat and cool) and works it's way loose from the motherboard.

But it's always fun to blame it on a Virus... gives ya an excuse to wipe the system and start fresh... which should be done every so often anyways.

--Shodar

xeract

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for the help. I've ordered a new heatsink to be delivered tommorrow so hopefully that will fix the problem, I'll let you know.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Use programs -> accessories -> system tools -> system restore

I will restore back to your previous setting and installed programs. Believe me it helps.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Also, in the interest of safety. Go in your bios and set your shutdown temp @70C. It's good to have something in place should this happen again.
I had a sink come off once while I was at work and when I got home the system was shut down. Checked inside and sure enough, fixed it and never had an issue with cpu or performance.
Hope this helps!

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
Your temps still seem a little high (unless your ambient temps are high), but you don't have to guess at whether or not the CPU is throttling. Download a utility such as the "Intel Thermal Analysis Tool" and you can watch your cpu speed and temperature. You may want to boot up, get that running, and then turn your computer case onto it's side so gravity is firmly pressing the heatsink down onto the core, at least if you notice that temps are still high and throttling is occuring.
After you've eliminated temperatures on your CPU and you are sure that your computer isn't damaging itself, defragment your harddrive. That's just good policy, not a solution for your problem. Next, you need to determine whether or not you have a software problem or a virus problem. Either way, a fresh install, if done properly (remember boot sector viruses), will likely solve your problem.

If you try to address the possibility of a virus, you can always try the many online free scans, or download a free scanner (AVG has one, for instance), but I never trust those to be effective if they are installed after a virus. The best way is the most difficult - use a second HDD with windows or linux installed and scan from there. If you have a USB flash drive and another computer to work from, you can make a bootable usb windows xp hard drive, but it's not straight forward and it takes some time.

xeract

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to try the new heatsink tommorrow, and if that then doesn't make a difference I may have to consider a new CPU. Does anyone have any CPU recommendations for around £120?

One thing I have just noticed is that in the Nvidia monitor tool it says my disk is running at 100% when trying to load things, is this normal?

So it would have the P965 chipset right? Just guessing as I am at work so I can't get to Asus website.

If so and you decided to get a new CPU if the temps don't drop you can get a Pentium DC @ 2.2GHz for around that price.

xeract

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Yeah that's right, it is P965. Had a quick look at that CPU and its only $114 (so around £60) so I could probaby afford a bit more than that.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?model=P5B&SLanguage=en-us

This is your mobos CPU support listing. You can support any of the new 45nm chips that run cooler and faster.

A good one in your price range would be the Core 2 E7200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052

Its a 45nm part, runs at 2.53GHz and is much faster than what you currently have.

Now don't forget to update your BIOS as well to the latest one. For your mobo you should be able to load the newest BIOS on a thumb drive, load up the BIOS and start it from there (refer to manual).