Buying a used CPU... good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubenov

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I got the option of buying a used CPU that has run on its stock voltage its entire time, but has been overclocked a little. I could buy it for about half the price it would cost me to buy it new. Good idea? Thoughts?

Edit: The CPU in question is a qx9650

Well I bought a used Intel Pentium 4 EE on EBay for my old system and I have had it for about 2 years. It only cost me $150 buck compared to the normal $1500.

Most times its ok as long as the seller is rated high and make sure they have a decent return policy.

Check the sellers ratings before you buy. Pay special attention to the negative comments and how they were handled before you purchase. If it really was ran on stock voltages and was kept cool, you will have no problems with it. It is always risky buying off of eBay though...

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
There were some rumors back when they came out that the 45nm processors were dieing under heavy overclocks. I think it'll be fine, but if it were my money I'd buy a new Q9450 and save a few bucks. I would run at 400x8 for 3.2GHz anyway so the unlocked multiplier of the EE processor would make absolutely no difference to me :)

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Agreed on what other said.

Just wanted to tag on, you should mention what your intentions are on that chip. It may be one thing about the price you can get, but if your going to use it as a normal machine, well... people will think your crazy.

That would be a hefty OC'able chip, but also take the price in consideration to buy the proper hardware to get the best OC on it.

Rubenov

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

Well, my intentions are to o/c to either 3.8Ghz (9.5 x 400) or to 4Ghz (10 x 400). I do not want to o/c my memory (DDR2 - 800Mhz), so that is why I am planning to run it on a 1:1 ratio.

I know I could get a q9450 or q9550 for less price, but I would be limited to 3.2Ghz on the 9450 and 3.4 on the 9550.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
To tell you what I really think, though I can't prove it, I think the CPU's that you listed are only limited to what the chipset can handle, since all we are doing is increasing the FSB.

However the QX or extreme CPU, allows you to change the mulitplier, keeping the FSB at a lower level.

Buying the QX series, I'd say you would perhaps end up with an OC that most users would not get to. But if your wanting to get just a reg 3.8ghz to 4ghz OC, then the money spent on the QX chip is a waste, in my opinion.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Absolutely Not!!!!!
That CPU is so overpriced, I would not buy it NEW at 1/2 the Price.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Overclock your memory, it's not a big deal.
Don't assume your Used CPU will OC well.
Nobody is buying an Extreme CPU and not OCing.
I suspect the seller may not be straight with you.

Furthermore, the Q9650 (Non-Extreme) will be released very soon.
You can pick up a new version of that if you want.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Holy ****, 4GHz!? Good luck m8 :D

A regular 3.8 to 4?

That isn't a regular overclock on the standard Q9450 or Q6600. They tend to run at 3.4-3.6 normally.

Rubenov

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

I'm sort of meh on the q6600. 65nm process, more voltage and more heat. Besides, it's clock for clock slower than a similar clocked 45nm quad due to its lower cache.

I'm actually thinking about the non-extreme q9650... the thing is, it would be the same price than the used qx9650 and will be limited to 3.6Ghz following my 1:1 ratio without overcloking the RAM.

I may be making too big of a deal about o/c RAM, the thing is, I just did my first o/c with an E8500 and am pretty new to the whole o/c issue and wanted to avoid complicating things.

Rubenov

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

Hmm... not really. People have qx9650's stable with air cooling at 4.2Ghz all the time. I can definetely reach 3.8 on that proc without even changing the default voltage... in fact I can hit 3.8Ghz while lowering the default voltage. That's what I did with my E8500, and that's what I've seen plenty of people do with qx9650's.

If I go for 4Ghz, then I may have to up the voltage a little, but it's nothing that my Tuniq Tower 120 / PSU / motherboard can't handle.

The main question remains, will a used qx9650 have any less life on my computer since it is used.

halcyon

Splendid
TBH, I would never buy a used CPU, especially a used CPU for $500. However, if you have so much money that $500 to you is like $50 is to me then the risk is reasonable. I think you'd be better with a brand spanking new Q9450/Q9550 clocked up to 3.4-3.6Ghz and use a a really good motherboard. If you have the patience to wait for tomorrow's chip then that might not be a bad option.

I tend to have a prejudice against used things and love the words "Manufacturer Sealed". If it was new for $500 it'd be a no brainer, but used for $500...no thanks.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Your question can only be answered if you buy it, and try it.

The only way to tell before you install it, is to look at the CPU die through a electron microscope to tell if the die had any ill effects from the previous owner, namely electro migration. Which would prolly would not be likely.

But then again, if it was, you have the equal chance of destroying the chip to look at it when you take the IHS off, which is soldered to the die.

So it's pretty hard to determine whether that chip will last through another bunch of OC tests to see if it stable, just by what the seller says.

halcyon

Splendid
^Which is why I wouldn't consider a used CPU, that was admittedly overclocked (at all) unless it was like 1/6 to 1/5 of the original price.

That unlocked multiplier is just not that important unless you're trying to win a monetary award for overclocking.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Not to Mention that using DDR2-1066 or running DDR2-800 at those speeds will improve performance.
While it may not make a world of difference, it will make some.

If the price is right, consider buying it if the seller has a good reputation. Lots of times, the price is too high. Look at all the feedbacks, and what he was selling. When I upgrade, I often sell my old parts, and they are good buys. Look for a return policy, and pay with paypal. A good seller values hi reputation and will make it right if anything goes wrong. You should be able to verify that the processor runs ok within the 7 days that is normally allowed. Do not overclock it until you know that it works properly.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Hmm, I didn't realize the 45nm quads clocked so high so easily. Voltage?

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Nothing is wrong with it. He got arrested by the stupid police and has to sell it to make bail.

Status
Not open for further replies.