Help! Rig turns on for a moment, then turns off...

AVSexton

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Do I have any compatability problems here? My rig turns on for a moment, then turns right back off...

DVD BURN SAMSUNG|SH-S203B
VGA GIGABYTE GV-NX88T512HPV1
PSU|S75CF 750W (PCPC Silencer)
MB GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R 775 P35
CPU COOLER XIGMATEK|HDT-S1283 (I suspect this may be the problem.. biggest pain in the ass to install EVER, and I'm worried I may have harmed the CPU or motherboard in the process)
CPU INTEL|C2D E8400 3G 775 45N
HD 500G|ST 7K 32M SATA2 ST3500320AS
MEM 2Gx2|CORS TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

All in an Antec 900 case.

Please help... this is the first computer I've tried to build, and right now I'm cursing myself for not going with a Dell.

I took the entire thing apart, put it back together, and had the same issues. I don't have extra components laying around:/ I may be able to convince a friend of mine to let me take the RAM and GRaphics card out of one of his computers to test those things, but otherwise...

KekaiGenkai

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
It sounds like your memory may not be seated correctly. I've had a similar problem on a laptop, so you may wanna check that out. Good luck.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
As suggested already, try starting with 1 stick of memory and if you can get it to at least boot to bios, go into the bios and increase the memory voltage to 2.1 to 2.2 v. This board has a stock memory voltage setting of 1.8V, the Corsair memory you have requires 2.1V.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Possible reasons for this problem:

If you are over-clocking, this is the first suspect. Restore to defaults by clearing the BIOS. Otherwise:

1) Memory
- Verify memory voltage is compatible with your motherboard.
- Verify memory is installed properly for your configuration.
- Try booting with each module installed individually. You may find a bad one.
- If you do boot, try running MemTest86+
- Try other RAM if you have it handy.

2) Processor Overheating
- Verify CPU fan is plugged in and operating.
- Reseat heatsink (you did this, try using the stock heatsink).

3) Loose wire
- Verify all power cables are installed snuggly.
- Verify the 4-pin CPU power connector is installed properly.

4) Motherboard installation
- Verify the motherboard is not being shorted somewhere on the case. A common example would be if you failed to install the motherboard stand-offs and screwed the motherboard directly to the case.

5) Faulty PC case power switch
- Disconnect switch from motherboard. Power on PC by briefly shorting the two pins on the motherboard with the tip of a screwdriver.

6) Faulty Powersupply
- Try a different PSU if you have one handy.
- Try your power supply in a different PC
- Use a multimeter or PSU tester to verify it's operating normally

7) Clear the BIOS, you never know.

8) Faulty/damaged CPU or motherboard
- Difficult to verify unless you have alternate parts to try.

9) Last resort
- Rebuild PC outside of the case on a static-free, non-metallic surface.

AVSexton

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Tried booting with each stick of RAM seperatly, didn't work.

Not overclocking yet- haven't even gotten the thing to start up once to get in to the BIOS.

We rebuilt the entire thing, so we did reseat the heatsink. Going to try using the stock heatsink after we get something suitable to clean the old thermal paste off the CPU. This also wipes out the loose wire thing.

What do you mean as far as the motherboard stand-offs?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
You might need an old processor...or maybe the guy at the comp store can do. Just take the bare board in and ask him to try a c2d E6400 in it.
You'll see the bios rev. as soon as it starts.

uguv

Distinguished

Standoffs look like this:
STANDOFFM3.small.jpg

If you connect the motherboard directly to the case you'll cause a short that can often damage the board and will also cause symptoms you may be experiencing. Some cases have standdoff-like posts built in but most do not.

A lot of work, and you may have done most of it:

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Troubleshooting+a+New+Build

Keep in mind that I wrote this before compatibility problems became so (relatively) common.

We rebuilt the entire thing, so we did reseat the heatsink. Going to try using the stock heatsink after we get something suitable to clean the old thermal paste off the CPU. This also wipes out the loose wire thing.

Isopropyl alcohol and a piece of a coffee filter or lint-free rag work nicely for this.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Check the Toms sticky for trouble shooting a system, where they recommend an out of case build.
Then build from there, ensure all connections are made and proper.

ram1009

Distinguished
Depending upon just how long it runs before shutting down your bios may tell you what's wrong using "beep codes". Have you heard any beeping from the PC speaker before it shuts down? I've recently built two 775 boxes and had no trouble with the OEM heatsink/fan installation. If you're having problems there I suspect the processor is overheating and shutting the system down. There are many things that will prevent boot up but few that will cause a shut down.