power consumption proportional to workload?

TorreyToms

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Is power consumed by video cards roughly proportional to workload?

I'm about to build a new PC. I'm not a gamer, but would on rare occasion run Flight Simulator X (FSX) and would want it to run well. I'm considering a GeForce 8600gt or 8800gt. The 8600gt is said to consume 43 watts, whereas the 8800gt is quoted at 138 watts -- a huge difference. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series )

I'd be willing to pay for the 8800gt for a good experience with FSX, but am not willing to pay for, or withstand the heat of, 138 watts if it consumes that even for browsing and office applications. So:

1. Does the power consumed reduce considerably for office-apps type of workload?

2. Would the power of the 8600gt and 8800gt be comparable when used for office apps?

3. If so, are there any figures for the 'baseline' minimum power consumption for both of those types of card?

4. Finally, a somewhat different question: Would the 8600gt provide a sufficient experience with FSX set to high, but perhaps not maximum, settings? (Assume an e8400 CPU.)

Thank you to anyone who can help.

1. Yes, power consumption is proportional to the workload. So if you are not playing a game or using a program that 3D graphics, then the GPU will be in "low power" mode.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

9600gt_power.gif

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gainward-bliss9600gt-512gs_7.html#sect0

4. Not sure, but the 8600GT is considered a weak card by today's standard. For a balance between power consumption (heat as well), and raw power I would choose the 9600GT which I provided a link above.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
yea for real, jaguarskx has got this one covered. TorreyToms, I think you'd rather have the 8800GT rather than the 8600GT. Now, I game alot more than you I'm sure based on your description, but non-the-less, the 4850 is at a really nice price point of $199. It may be worth while to take a look at it in case you come across another flight simulator that you may want to play in the near future. flight simulators tend to work a video card real good. If you're more familiar with Nvidia cards, ATI's HD4850 is on par with or better than the 9800GTX from the reviews I've read so far. It may be worth the look.

TorreyToms

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
JaguarSKX,
Your answer is a GREAT help; MANY thanks. I google'd and google'd and never found anything close to the idle power consumption chart you supplied.
[FYI, I'm cost-sensitive. The 8800gt is now down to about $140. That's still a big gulp over the $60 for an 8600gt, but I'm not sure I can stretch much further, but I'll look at the other possibilities you mention.]