Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
My setup:

Intel Q9550 Quad Core CPU, 2.83Ghz, 12MB cache

XFX Nvidia nForce 780i mobo

EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked 892MB x2 SLI

Zerotherm Advanced CPU cooler

3x2GB PC2 8500 Ram 1066Mh

I'm running my computer to a small monitor (couldn't afford a better one)

I have two 17" monitors at 1280 X 1024
And an HDTV LCD that supports 720p

My question to you guys is, how much should I overclock my cpu in order to avoid the bottleneck of my GPUs? I'm running at a very low resolution on my monitors, so I'm assuming that it is my CPU causing the lower frame rates.

How much could I SAFELY overclock my q9550? I have never overclocked a pc before and I am worried that I might fry it, so I want to stay away from max overclocking and try instead to get a performance upgrade without jeopardizing my computer. My pc case is pretty bad for cooling and that's why I have the zerotherm cpu cooler.

I want to play games like Half-life 2 (L4D,TF2), COD4 and waw, mirror's edge, and Crysis.

Thanks.

In addition to the guide that Shadow linked to:

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

You also need to find a guide for your motherboard, or at least for the chipset.

Use something like Prime95 to test.

I have my Q9550 running at 3.6 GHz (58 - 61 C. under load). But, in terms of cooling, I have a better than average case and a very good HSF. I suspect that your limiting factor will be your case. You really need a case that is good at moving through itself, not just circulating air inside it.

I would estimate that the GPU becomes the limiting factor for gaming performance around 3.2 GHz. And at your relatively low resolution, you may not need to OC.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

DonnieD

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Ok so I haven't overclocked just yet, and I was running the Crysis demo and it keeps crashing after about 10 minutes of play. It doesn't matter what settings I use, but the lower quality seems to last a bit longer before Crytek engine fails. One time it crashed I got a blue screen of death and it told me I had some failure to do with memory.

I have 4 ram sticks in my computer and they are running at 2.1 V (the last stick is running at 2.3) and I'm wondering if I am having errors because there isn't enough voltage going to the sticks?

I'll attach a picture of my computer running hwmonitor and cpuz

Please help me out.

2mfwtms.jpg