Sign in with
Your question

Raid 1 Setup

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 22, 2009 4:00:22 PM

I am familiar with how RAID 1 basically works. I am thinking of setting up 2 1TB HDD in a RAID 1 setup. The HDD's will be used to store files(music,pics etc,). I have read many forums on setting up raid 1 on a HDD with an OS but none with setting it up on a non-OS drive. I will be using the MOBO controllers to set it up, do I need to install drivers to the non-OS drives? Also, if one drive fails is it as easy as installing a new drive in the raid setup? Will I lose any data when I replace a drive?

More about : raid setup

a b G Storage
September 28, 2009 9:30:53 AM

I've never been in a situation where I had to replace a RAID 1 member live, but RAID 1 is designed to allow this.
m
l
September 28, 2009 5:59:40 PM

Drive re-build function depend on the raid controler, if it a disk fails and you replace with a blank one, most controlers will allow you to rebuild the disk stopping any dataloss.

Most mobos function with raid on or off not a combo of the 2 - you will probably end up having a "RAID" of just 1 disk for the OS ( i know it sounds odd) and another RAID for the real RAID disks. This will need to be setup before the OS install (again for most Mobos)
m
l
!