If you want to use XP's backup option, you have to have an external device. Plug your external HDD into a USB port. Then: Start button>Accessories>System Tools> Backup. The wizard should then walk you through setting up what you want to back up, and when you want to do it.

aaronus

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
I'd like to backup my pictures, etc, on my computer. I think I have around 100 gb of pictures and stuff currently, and I'd like to be able to back up ~350. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600).

Here is some info that Belarc Advisor gathered for me:

1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded
Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8V Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0107 03/09/2005

My thoughts:
-Device Manager has a raid controller listed in "other devices," although there is a yellow question mark next to it, and it is not functioning, and doesn't have a driver installed. I don't know whether I actually have a raid controller.
I wouldn't know where to look inside my computer case for a connection for raid, or where on the motherboard...idk what I'm talking about :D

-The computer has a cd burner.

-I've read about external harddrives, and they seem to fail easily regardless of brand. Nevertheless, I do have 2 free usb ports side by side.