Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on which motherboard and RAM to get. (Needs list included)

Last response: in Motherboards
August 10, 2008 4:55:23 AM

Ok so I have already chosen the rest of my computer, I just need the motherboard now. First off let me start by telling you what I need in a computer.

Great graphics for playing games and watching high quality movies.
As much speed as I can get for streaming media, games, internet.
Good multi-tasking abilities as I like to do more than one thing at once, such as surf internet while watching a movie/playing a game/listen to music.
Good audio output as I like music alot.
Good music/movie burning and ripping hardware since I love music and movies.

And here is what I have compiled so far to meet these expectations:

APEVIA X-TELSTAR-BL Blue/ Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

XFX GeForce 9600 GT XXX Video Card - FREE Call of Duty 4 PC Game, Alpha Dog Edition, 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI Support, Dual VGA Support

Hanns·G HX-191DPB 19" LCD Monitor - 5ms, 700:1, SXGA 1280x1024, DVI, Black, Built-In Speakers

LITEON 20X DVD+/-RW LIGHTSCRIBE SATA

500GB IBM SATA II - 7200RPM

And I will be running windows XP Professional.

So with all this in mind, could somebody please refer me to the best motherboard to fit my needs. I would like something under $200. And I heard that WinXP only supports up to 3gb of ram? Is this true? Because I was actually thinking along the lines of 4GB for my system. Anyways, I'm in despret need of help. I know I'll be spending over $1000 and if I'm going to spend this much I want my system to be absolutely perfect. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
August 10, 2008 6:19:54 PM

If you play the latest games maxed out, you might want to consider a better gpu like HD4850 or 9800GTX or +.

32-bit os supports up to 3.5gb. Get 4 gigs since ddr2 is dirt cheap.

Look into P5Q PRO or GA-EP45-DS3R
!