Sign in with
Your question

Windows setup cant find my HD

Last response: in Storage
September 22, 2009 7:27:23 PM

Hey guys,

Yesterday I deleted my ntldr files by accident...
So I tried to boot from my XP home cd-rom to repair windows but the windows setup cant find my HD when I try to either set up or repair.

When booting up it shows my 200gb hd is functional. I have an older A8V Deluxe motherboard.

Does anyone know whats going with it and how to fix it ?

More about : windows setup find

September 22, 2009 7:39:52 PM

Download the IDE/SATA Drivers from asus.com and put on a floppy (3.5") disk. (there are two different driver files on the asus web site. I would get both to be on the safe side. Press F6 when installing windows to add the drivers for your controllers.
September 22, 2009 7:46:10 PM

Thanks for the reply! Is it possible to put this on a cd or usb as I dont have a floppy drive?
Related resources
September 22, 2009 7:57:32 PM

XP requires that these files are on a: drive (Coded into system) if yor board supports USB boot and assigns the a: drive letter to the usb you may be ok. You can only have one of the downloads on the usb at a time. XP looks for the file txsetup on a: for loading the driver.
September 23, 2009 7:34:31 AM

Try this:

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.

3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.

5.Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.
copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.
September 23, 2009 1:32:47 PM

mbscomp said:
Download the IDE/SATA Drivers from asus.com and put on a floppy (3.5") disk. (there are two different driver files on the asus web site. I would get both to be on the safe side. Press F6 when installing windows to add the drivers for your controllers.

I got hold of a floppy drive and downloaded the 'Promise SATA378 Driver V1.00.0.26 for Windows 98SE/NT4.0/ME/2000/XP/2003' for my Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard from the asus website.

Ive gone into setup, pressed f6 and installed from my floppy, its now saying
'Setup will load support for the following mass storage devices:
Winp XP Promise Sata378(tm) controller'

However, when I then press enter to continue with the setup and try to set up or repair windows, it still gives me the message that I have no HD connected.

I have an idea but dont know if its possible/works. Can I put my friends HD into my computer and run windows on his HD and then when in windows copy his ntldr to my drive if my windows can find it? Or would this not work?
!