Sign in with
Your question

Partitioning to get better performance

Last response: in Storage
September 22, 2009 8:14:42 PM

Hi everyone,

Im getting 2 new hard drives tomorrow (WD6401AALS), that I will use in RAID 0, the question is not about RAID though, is about how to use that space, and the space of a 3rd disk I already have (WD6401AAKS), to get the best performance on a fresh windows 7 install Im doing as soon as I get them.

I´ll have a smaller slice where at least I´ll install the 0S, but.. should I also make it big enough to install my programs there ?? or should I make another partition for that ??
On other ocasions I´ve tried to move the default programs file directory path, to the partition I desired, but I gave some problems (I even had to reinstall), what I´ve done in my current install, is choose every time the path to install every app/program, choosing everytime the partition I wished. But this is a bit annoying (having to do it everytime), and windows doesnt seem to interact the same way with apps that are installed in your the sistems program files directory, that the ones that are somewhere else (for example: when you choose "open with", only the apps that are where they are supposed to be - program files - appear). So.. in short, am I doing something wrong ? or its just better to have OS and programs in the same partition, as it is by default ?? -> therefore it doesnt make sense to have a different partition for programs ??

If you are wondering what does all this have to do with performance, I think that if it turned out to be a good idea to make a different partition for programs.. I would be able to make a smaller slice for the OS, having a slighty better performance.

Apart from that I plan to have a partition for games on the bigger part of the RAID 0 array. As well as a place on the 3rd disk (the one out of the array) for the page file. Please correct me it these 2 ideas are not good.

Thank you very much for reading ! any opinions are welcome
a b G Storage
September 23, 2009 4:43:38 AM

While it makes sense to locate data files on another drive/partition, then if a reinstall is needed your data is still there, but in that event all programs would need to be reinstalled anyway, as there are always some files loaded in the Programs directory no matter what partition you install them on.
All registry entries would be lost, so I can't think of one good reason to install programs on a different drive/partition, unless the one you are using is low on disk space and you have no choice.
How big you make it is up to you, however much you think you need, double it.
I would make it about 25% of the drive, or around 160gb on that drive.
It depends what you do, but I often find that my drive has had a sudden weight gain on mine, when I check I find a particular video processing program I use stuffs large video files on the c: drive buried in the documents folder, it has no option to put them somewhere else.
I have a 250 gb drive for my W7 and found I was down to 115 gb, normally it's aoround 160 - 180 free. I record a lot and long movies chew up hdd space.
September 24, 2009 7:34:06 AM

Thats probably because of temporary files... Some people even advice to have those files (all the temporary files), on a different partition, which greatly reduces fragmentation on your OS partition, and simplifies defragmentation.

About what you said about the programs... we discussed a bit about it in this thread:

Thanks for your comment !
Related resources
September 24, 2009 8:49:08 AM

Do what I do, repartition every 2 months, and your disk fragmentation woes are ignorable. =D
September 24, 2009 3:19:34 PM

Partitioning will give you worse performance, not better. If performance is what you seek, putting programs and/or data on a seperate physical drive will give better performance.

Multiple partitions will cause additional head seek as it has to go back and forth between the 2 (or more) sections of the drive (either physical on a regular drive or logical on a RAID drive).

Best performance will always come from the most used partition on the least used drive (partitions are sections of the same drive that other partitions come from).

So on a system that has 2 drives (RAID or not) setup for example as...
Drive 1, partition 1 - C drive
Drive 1, partition 2 - D drive
Drive 2, partition 1 - E drive

The best performance will be on "E", worst on "D" (assuming the OS is on "C")

!