DVI-D Cord

bbgman

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Just got a new graphics card 8800 GTS and am still running the connection between my monitor (22" LCD) and display card with the older vga cable (I think that's what its called - much less pins). And it's running through one of those small adapters to fit into the card.

My question is - should I invest in a DVI-D cable? Will it boost my performance? etc anything else I need to know.

Thanks

G

Absolutely !!

Performance exactly the same, yet. Your display should become MUCH clearer/sharper. Each pixel in video memory is connected to the corresponding (correct) pixel on your screen (if running at the correct resolution). The old analogue system converted these digital signals into analogue waveforms that had to be converted back again (guessing where a particular pixel should be on the LCD !).

Great for general use and digital photography. Games may show sharper 'jaggies' on sloping lines, hence AA (video card anti-aliasing) needed if this isn't to your liking...

Regards

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
your video card should support all forms of dvi cables. check your monitor's input first to see which one you need, which is most likely DVI-D.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

It's fine as long as it's not DVI-A (Analog) DVI-D is digital and DVI-I is analog&digital. I would just buy the DVI-I cable so that I could use it in any DVI setup.