Geil 4GB 1066 blackdragon - EPP support?

9xcalibur9

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I'm about to assemble an SLI system with XFX 780I motherboard.
In XFX website it says that it supports memory frequency of up to 1200mhz but only with EPP protocol.
I had many recommendations for Geil's memory but wasnt able find out if it does support it nor if it doesnt.
Moreover, I overread EPP is only essential for OCing and is actually a Nvidia gimmick. Does this mean I'm better off with a 800mhz memory?

wacky7

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I don't think the EPP profiles really matter most of the AMD and Intel memory controller will set your timing and volts for your memory to there basic setting like 5-5-5-16-28 at 1.8v reg DDR2 porflies from computer BIOS if you leave as Auto it set it way there ,most of the memory doesn't always do there auto setting from the Bios sometime errors starting to show up because of the volts is not enough or mabe need to change clock speed setting for the rams and lower your timing to 5-6-6-18-28 at 1.8v. the more you lower the timming the less of the volts of the memory will take at it rate of speed 1066 timing to get it clear from errors for stability ram it not really a overclock it just at the end of the line that a memory can refresh it page file at the rate speed of the memory controllers and volts and timming setting of the fast speed 1066. most setting are like this DDR2 667 3-3-3-12-22 2.1v DDR2 800 4-4-4-12-22 at 2.1v DDR2 1066 5-5-5-12-22 at 2.1v not going to hurt it or over heat it that much it just going at a higher timing to refresh it page at cas 4,you can tell it faster than cas 5 when you post from Bios and loaded Vista up or XP just sometime if memory start giveing errors then your know you need to bump the timing down for stability. sometime volts help to clear the errors from haveing the timing higher. now if you upclock the ram speed by overclocking the CPU the ram going to go up then it will start to heating up because of the more of the mhz flying into thoes memory timming slot of the rate of th e memory speed.EPP for something that let people know from CPU-Z or other porgram to read a SPD setting from the RAM so they can know that they can set it at a fast timing for that speed of rate of the rams without errors when they go to BIOS

I was thinking to get Two kit 2x2 GB 1066 of thoes blackdragon DDR2 for my AMD 9950 BE on the ECS 8200a BE for my ECS 9800 GTX it the max setting type for that memory controller for that CPU but perrty werid that it doesn't have heatsink on the chips for better cooling some people say it a heat trap from the chips but some say some heatsink are better if they got better contact to the chip to be cool off from a memory HS.
If your going to assemable a Intel nvidia chipset 780I, I would get DDR2 1200 speed the intel chipset contorler will go at that top speed it the last of the DDR2 class (1200) faster and a tighter timing. I know they are alittle high $ for 8 GB

any memory you put in from 400 to 1200 it going to work, the higher the memory speed is the better the bandwidth going to be. the more room of the memory there is the more room for program going to to take but the bandwidth still the same