Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Asus P5Q Pro IDE Boot Problems! help?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 10, 2008 6:23:53 PM

Hey everyone,

I am having problems booting from my IDE hard drive on my new Asus P5Q Pro motherboard.

My Setup:
Intel E8400 cpu
Asus Ati 3450HD video card
Memorex 16x DVD burner
4gb OCZ Reaper memory
40gb Western Digital HD IDE

I can boot up the Windows XP or Windows Vista and when it reaches the point where it reboots setup to the hard drive it comes up NTLDR(WinXP) or BootMGR(Vista) missing. The majority of my Linux Live CD's will reach about the mid way point in the boot and say something to the effect of "cannot find cdrom trying to kill init" (i think this is a driver problem). I can however boot to a linux live desktop from Mandriva 2008.1 and PCLOs 2007 but after I install and reboot to the hard drive I get bootloader error just like with windows.

Please Help! I found another user with the same problem and quoted him below! Please Help!





Quote:
I recently purchased components for a new computer, but am having some trouble getting it to work!

Here's what I have:

* Pentium 4 3.2 GHz CPU
* Asus p5q pro motherboard
* 2GB of Patriot viper fin pc2-9600 RAM
* GeForce 9600 GT pci-express graphics card
* an ide dvd-rw and hard drive on the same channel (there's only one ide channel)

I have tried to boot knoppix, but it failed to mount the cd-rom at boot time.
I tried to install debian off a CD and it says it doesn't have drivers for the cd-rom, so it can't mount it either.
I have tried to install debian off of a USB key device, except it doesn't recognize my ide disk!
I have started to install windows, but after the initial setup when it reboots from the hard drive it gives me a "missing NTLDR" error (and several random artifacts appear across the screen). I ran the windows fixboot command in recovery mode, to no avail.

I've switched out the ide drive for a different one with the same results. I also switched the ide cable with no change.

I read a slashdot entry about how newer motherboards don't support ide as well anymore (or something to that effect), which would explain why linux can't mount the cd-rom at install. I haven't found any evidence (outside of my repeated installation failures) that the Asus p5q pro is one of those motherboards, though.

I haven't been able to find any one else who has suffered from this combination of symptoms.

Does any one out there have any advice for me??

Thanks!
August 10, 2008 6:43:05 PM

Format the drive before you try to install on it. MAke sure IDE settings in Bios and your jumpers are correct. Unlpug anything else other HDDs and and USB devices you dont need.
August 13, 2008 12:15:05 PM


Format the drive before you try to install on it. MAke sure IDE settings in Bios and your jumpers are correct. Unlpug anything else other HDDs and and USB devices you dont need.


thanks for the reply but I have tried all that and no luck what so ever. The strangest thing is that when I boot into pclos 2007 (ir any of my linux live distro's that work) I have no problem formating the drive and using it for storage, also after the install I can see all the files that including the Windows bootloaders, but always it comes back NTldr missing or bootmgr missing and grub missing too! Again i am in dire straights here someone give me some love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

thanks
Related resources
August 19, 2008 10:35:48 AM

There are issues about detecting IDE HDD's and Asus brought up a few new bios upgrades because of that. We destroyed 2 P5Q by upgrading (there is a thread in this forum).

Check your bios and driver versions and go to

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...

and check your mobo bios. Just be careful when burning new bios. :) 

latest bios version is 1104

Good luck!
September 16, 2008 7:10:10 PM

Hi guys,
just purchased an Asus P5Q-pro, and can't install windows...neither linux.

my setup:

Intel Core 2 duo E7200

Asus X2400 pro

2x1Gb Ocz ddr2 800 mhz

Western Digital 500Gb Sata 2

Blue screen error with vista...don't pass over the "please wait" screen after loading the drivers...with linux it gives a cd-rom error...

and it happens even without the disk connected. tryied with another disc, and with another dvd-rom drive, and still the same...could it be a mobo malfunction?

thanks for helping out,
cheers.
September 18, 2008 1:16:14 AM

hey bro, is your cd/dvd drive ide? if it is I have the same problems, i have upgraded to the latest bios and all that **** and still nothing. i can boot into pclos 2007, pclos 2008 minime, and pclos gnome 2008 linux live desktops. I can install vista and pclinuxos on to my ide harddrive but know matter what on the reboot it comes up with bootmgr missing, ntloader missing, grub missing. I have been trying things for 2 months and I think my only solution is to save money and get all new sata stuff.

sorry i could not be more help
September 23, 2008 5:45:07 PM

Do you have the IDE controller enabled set to IDE in your BIOS?
September 24, 2008 7:55:59 PM

Hi everyone,

I happened to have the exact the same issue. well....not exact,but very similar...
just purchased ASUS P5Q Pro and for three nights, i couldn't install Windows XP on my Seagate SATA Drive.

Initially, I was trying to slipstream winxp with the Intel ICH10R Sata driver in the hope of bypassing the annoying F6 Key driver loading process. I've gone through the tutorial, search many forum thread etc. The Slipsteam Winxp just wouldn't start Windows after loading all the essential drivers.

Then, I gave up on slipstream version and moved on to follow the "old" way using the F6 key when installing the WinXP to load driver. Ironically, the driver that the Asus make disk utility made to the floppy disk was corrupted. So I had to look asus web site and some forum to download the sata driver. OK, I did that. and after numerous boot attempts, still nothing, they all stopped right after loading the drivers and asked me to install windows xp. I had tried different combination such as BIOS update, setting the SATA drive in IDE, RAID,AHCI in the BIOS. Still nothing. I consider this is my last resort -- I am going to just try to install WinXP on my other IDE drive and see if it works then install sata driver to try and see if I can access the sata drives I have. If not, then I can pretty much tell the MB is screwed.

Can someone please help?

thanks,


SPEC:
Asus P5Q-PRO MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX 4GB ( only use one now)
Seagate 320GB sata HD
AMD Radeo HD4870
Pioneer 16x IDE DVDRW
PSU Thermaltake 750W
September 25, 2008 5:03:01 PM

Well... guess what it turned out to be the incompatibility between my Corsair Memory DDR2 800 TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX and Asus P5Q PRO MB. Last night I tried a pair of Corsair DDR2 667 VS1GB667D2 and it worked! Windows XP loaded flawlessly so did Windows Vista. It is really good lesson for me as I assume the compatibility issue between MB and Memor was not a big issue. I was wrong. If a MB specs claims it support DDR2 800 does not mean you can buy any DDR2 800 memory and simply plug it in and play. What tricked me into this notion? When I checked the QVL on asus web site I didn't find the match of my memory part number but when I checked corsair web site I saw my memory part number were listed to be compatible with Asus P5Q Pro. This makes I think that this is one of the major traps for people who'd like to build them PC.

So here I strongly encourage anyone who plan to buy either memory and motherboad CHECK the QVL on the motherboard manufacturer's web site first. You must make sure your memory part number is listed on the QVL document. This is by far the best and safest way to ensure your memory is compatible with your motherboard.

It's a pitty that Asus P5Q Pro doesn't support my Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX memory due to the fact that this is quite popular Heatsink based memory in the US but hopefully it will in the future when Asus release new BIOS or I will seek other memory with similar specs that on the QVL.
September 27, 2008 3:47:28 PM

Well, ****. vichsu, I'm having almost the same problem -- problems, sorry, there's **** hundreds of them -- but I don't have quite the same setup as you. Very similar, though.

I'm trying to get an Asus P5Q Deluxe working with a 4GB of Corsair TWIN4096-8500C5, which I had to set manually to 1066 MHz in the BIOS as they kept coming up at 800. I started out attempting to get XP installed on an existing RAID-1 array (with another IDE drive connected that I was ignoring); since then, I've broken the and tried the disks individually, using a floppy to load the ICH10R drivers, also slipstreaming, attempting to install from a USB drive, and even trying out the option in the BIOS to get the USB drive to look like a floppy, combined with lord knows how many different combinations of BIOS settings for how the drives are seen, which order they're in, and the selected mode, DRAM timings, DRAM voltage, and almost all the other BIOS settings actually available over the course of the last three BIOS firmware updates -- most of which I don't have a clue as to their real purpose, I've just read somewhere that they might be causing the problem (and no I don't think I will end this sentence just yet) -- and have been reduced to wiping the data I had on the IDE drive (fortunately not too painful, I managed not to cry) and attempting to take every single thing down to the simplest state possible: ie, a **** old bog-standard IDE drive with crappy 32-bit XP installed off a CD as it has been for the past two or three aeons, during which technology has apparently acquired discovered fashion and decided to go retro because perhaps it's just cool again to force hardware owners into the position they'd just spent massive amounts of money hoping to move further and further away from.

****! I mean, these people are supposed to make these things for a living, right? When are they going to start putting "doesn't break for no reason" on the feature lists? I know there's all sorts of variables but christ on a Yamaha, isn't there just some simple level of functionality that could be achieved and assured before things start acting all weird for no reason at all?

ARG!

Incidentally, for reference, a couple more details: it's a Core2 Quad Q9550 w/ 12MB cache at 2.83GHz; the Corsairs are running in dual channel mode; the SATA drives are unplugged with the BIOS set to IDE mode for SATA devices; and there's a GeForce 8800 GTX running off 2 seperate PCIe cables provided by a Fortron BoosterX 3; and the BIOS is currently 1403 (having tried 1306 and whatever was on the board before that, 1204 or something). But I think that's all mostly irrelevant.
September 27, 2008 3:57:56 PM

Well, that actually did make me feel a little better, to rant for a while - but lordy lordy do posts actually get censored here? Half the vitriol I was feeling was expressed in one or two well placed swear words, it's sad to think my true feelings will masked forever. My, my, and no option in the preferences to behave like an adult if you believe you can take all that filth. Almost makes me want to try and see if there's any way to circumvent the filtering[1] somehow... how ironic.


[1]cock
September 27, 2008 5:05:02 PM

Well, I've just got hold of a 1GB stick of A-Data DDR2 (800MHz) and tried installing XP with just that in it, and lo! Problem, well, not solved, but at least in all likelihood identified and solvable.

Thanks vichsu (and all the other authors of the hundreds of posts I've read trying to figure out what the problem was).

PS: bottoms!
September 29, 2008 8:10:14 PM

You are welcome. mispgl,

Since my last post, I have pretty much narrowed down the problem. It is the memory issue. However, I'd like to provide more finding. I used memtest to check the Corsair memory DDR2-800 TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX and guess what it did not pass any cycle. None! while my other running Corsair DDR2-667 is tested 100% working. So now, I am sure that the memory is culprit of this mess and I am going to try to RMA my pair of DDR2-800. hopefully it will work after I get my new DDR2-800 back from Corsair.

take care,
October 16, 2008 12:51:04 AM

People! Just type in "asus p5q ide problem" in Google and you will see IDE drives and optical are a common problem for this series of ASUS Mobo'S.

I had exactly same problem and I solved it by first upgrading my BIOS with the ezflash2 utility in the BIOS. All you do is burn the new BIOS ROM on a CD-R and then go into BIOS--tools---ezflash2.....and pick your cd/dvd-rom drive out of the choices presented.

It will find the ROM and ask you to flash. Takes under 30 seconds.

Then reset CMOS with jumper.

Afterwards the trick is to connect only ONE IDE peripheral at a time. So in my case only one DVD-RW. Then in BIOS choose Storage config -- IDE -Enhanced and make sure the Marvel IDE controler options (2) are on.

Then if all goes well it will see you DVD-DRIVE (or other IDE periph.) and it will boot liveCD's or Windows, etc....

It did for me.

In my readings I found it seems manufacturer are putting cheap IDE contollers on their boards, probably thinking IDE is a dying breed. In the case of the Marvel IDE here, it can apparently handle only one channel properly, not two devices.
November 25, 2008 10:14:30 AM

Hi guys!
I had installation problems wiht P5Q Pro too...
Two month ago I installed Win XP SP1 with a big difficults. I tryed Windows XP SP2, Windows XP x64, Server 2008 32 & 64 - no way! And I worked with Win XP SP1 and was happy (because I had working PC, not iron mess...). But all my soft was working on another computers !!!

What I had?
ASUS P5Q Pro
1 ATA WD HD - master
1 IDE DVD ROM - slave
2 Gig memory
3 Seagate 1 T HD's (I can't make 3T RAID because 2T limit! - at first moment I felt I live in 1990 not in 2008 because it is so beautiful...- limitation for everything [I mean PC hard and soft]).
And my story did not finished!

I bought SATA DVD ROM!
I took off my old IDE DVD ROM, set ATA WD HD - single (took off jumper), connect new one DVD drive to SATA port 2 (near white color port 1) and start system.
Windows did not start, I check and change BIOS setting - nothing. OK. I'll install new Windows!!!
But windows continue installation only till start copy files on disk. Some times I reach 6% copying files!, some times system freez after copy 1st file!!!
I try all CD I have - Win XP SP1, Windows XP SP2, Windows XP x64, Server 2008 32 & 64 and Server 7 - no way.
I formatted ATA WD HD - the same situation! I started at Sunday at 9 am...
I was crasy !!! And at 11 pm I understood everything...
Why we have more and more problems with motherbords, software? Microsoft try to kill everybody who did not buy Windows - no pirates Windows anymore!
I think ASUS got money from Microsoft and some company make new CD ROM got money too... (new devices check is you disk legl or pirate copy).
I put back my old IDE DVD ROM and install Windows XP x64!!!

Now we came to new line in PC World! Soon no one program (I mean Microsoft) can work if you did no buy it. Throw Internet will be send code to stop or continue working for programm. And you have to understand - if you use Windows do not think about privacy (they know what you read, looking and see throw WEBCUM how long time you lie on the bad)

December 22, 2008 9:33:56 PM

Hey all - only solution I've found is to use a SATA hard drive. I tried 3 windows operating systems on 4 IDE hard drives, they would all install then refuse to get past initial load screen on the very next boot. Judging by forums i looked at to try and fix this, I can tell you 3 things:

1) The marvel IDE controller seems incapable of running an OS on the IDE connection
2) SATA hard drives have no problem and work quite well with this MoBo
3) The IDE issue is widespread enough the ASUS knows about it, but they aren't educating their IT people about it... :pfff: 

Yeah, you can try flashing and updating bios and hoping you get it fixed... and possibly jack up your motherboard. I recommend getting the cheapest SATA hard drive you can live with - it's an easy and effective fix.

P.S. - I'm an aerospace engineer. Yeah, rocket science. It took me, a computer science major and two electrical engineers (not to mention all the people I called at ASUS, Micro$oft, etc.) two weeks of bashing our heads on this before I gave in and bought a SATA drive. Save yourself the trouble.
a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2008 11:46:10 PM

Heh, normally Ive got sata hdd and sata dvd but lately I decided to get an ide hdd aswell to check how it goes on my p5q pro. Tried installing XP - goes well, but first restart - boot error, same with Ubuntu - after restart it fails to boot. But if i boot xp from my sata drive or ubuntu live cd the drive seems to work fine. It then occured to me that(pardon my lame explanation but im no expert) this marvell ide controller, as its not a part of the chipset, requires some sort of a driver to be fully functional(driver which i assume is loaded when you boot system from other drive or livecd, because the hdd obviously works then) but when you restart and try to boot theres no driver loaded so this "3rd party" controller isnt working, hence the hdd connected to it cannot be used to boot from. But if that was the case than how can an ide dvd work? Lol, I dont know. I guess the best option is to go all sata, as the ide controller seems to be crippled.
December 24, 2008 3:26:22 PM

Looks like Windows XP can't play well with this board. I built a new box just two weeks ago to replace my seven year old white box and it has:
ASUS P5Q Pro 775 P45
Intel Core 2 Duo Wolfdale processor
G. Skill 4GB RAM
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB
Corsair PSU 650W

My weird situation is that I have two WD IDE drives (one 40GB and one 100GB) that I just wanted to carry over to my new box. The 40GB drive has dual booting with 20GB for XP SP3 and 20GB for Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy. Ubuntu boots up just fine, but I had to install the linux driver for the mobo's integrated NIC as I had no connection (see this helpful link for the solution: http://bas-r.nl/?tag=attansic-technology-corp-unknown-d...).

Once that was solved Ubuntu went out and got the update for the graphics card. XP on the other hand will not boot; it won't even boot when you try load XP from the installation CD - it will load all the drivers but BSODs after "Starting Windows". I tried booting it in safe mode and it cuts out when it tries to load the mup.sys file. On my old box the drives' jumpers were set to Master (40GB) and Slave (100GB). Keeping the jumpers the way there were at first prevented the 100GB from being recognized by Ubuntu nor was it shown in the BIOS. I switched both to "cable select" and they were recognized by Ubuntu. I had also unplugged and replugged the IDE cable and after a few reboots more, both drives were recognized in the BIOS. I also made sure that the Marvell setting was enabled. I am using VirtualBox OSE on Ubuntu to compensate for my XP loss. Even stranger is that I still get the OS selection menu screen which is controlled by the Windows boot.ini - so part of XP is still alive somewhere.

I am going to try Steel_j's solution next and see if that works. I did have it in mind to eventually get a SATA drive, but the main reason I got this mobo was because it is supposed to support IDE drives, plus I've built other boxes in the past using ASUS mobos. Oh well.
December 30, 2008 7:00:26 PM

I cannot get any IDE drives recognized by my new build on a P5Q Deluxe. The board has so far recognized an IDE DVD burner as master on an IDE cable. It apparently will not recognize a master-slave configuration. 5 other SATA devices are operating OK on XP, and a 5 1/4 floppy on a standard floppy IDE cable! 2 SATA devices are legacy drives converted from IDE to SATA with dongles. These require separate power and cost about $18 each.My white Marvel SATA connector is connected to an external HDD using the bios "change mode" option, but has not been tested. Any suggestions for configuring the IDE connector for HDD master-slave operation will be appreciated!
June 25, 2009 10:10:42 PM

Hi all,

I have the same problem, IDE HDDs do not boot using the P5Q chipset. I've looked into the problem futhur and found that the only way to get an IDE HDD recognised is by pressing F8 during post which leads to the boot menu, the device can be found there. OR by installing an OS on a SATA disk and using the OS to access the IDE HDD.

By the looks of things ASUS messed up the Marvell IDE controller on startup resulting in no IDE devices being found in BIOS. The controller recognises the IDE HDD but it starts far too late for it to be recognised during the first initial POST, when you access the BIOS.

MUST STRESS I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS!! I've just randomly thought of it! The procedure involves installing an OS on an IDE HDD using a different chipset, then using the F8 boot menu to boot into the IDE. Its a bit of a ball ache though because if you want to boot into it regulary it must be done through the boot menu. If someone could test and feedback that would be great since it might help a few people here who have an OS installed on an IDE HDD that needs accessing. MUST STRESS NOT TESTED!!!

If anyone has a proper solution for the problem pease post it, its driving me insane since i need an IDE HDD recognised in BIOS!!!!

Ta,

Shaun
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2009 10:39:24 PM

Maybe an ide-sata adapter would help in your case? But Ill dig out some ide drive and try what you suggested.
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2009 8:59:08 PM

My last and only ide drive seems to be dead, so sorry but i cant try that.
July 24, 2009 3:11:01 PM

hey this is in reply of not able to install yr sata dvd rom . what was wrong is u are using the second sata port which is ment onnly for instaling hard drives, check yr manuall it is clearly writen over there . the first two sata ports are only for setting up two sata hard drives so please use any other other sata port and reeboot yr system every thing will go well after wards . happy computing







kukla said:
Hi guys!
I had installation problems wiht P5Q Pro too...
Two month ago I installed Win XP SP1 with a big difficults. I tryed Windows XP SP2, Windows XP x64, Server 2008 32 & 64 - no way! And I worked with Win XP SP1 and was happy (because I had working PC, not iron mess...). But all my soft was working on another computers !!!

What I had?
ASUS P5Q Pro
1 ATA WD HD - master
1 IDE DVD ROM - slave
2 Gig memory
3 Seagate 1 T HD's (I can't make 3T RAID because 2T limit! - at first moment I felt I live in 1990 not in 2008 because it is so beautiful...- limitation for everything [I mean PC hard and soft]).
And my story did not finished!

I bought SATA DVD ROM!
I took off my old IDE DVD ROM, set ATA WD HD - single (took off jumper), connect new one DVD drive to SATA port 2 (near white color port 1) and start system.
Windows did not start, I check and change BIOS setting - nothing. OK. I'll install new Windows!!!
But windows continue installation only till start copy files on disk. Some times I reach 6% copying files!, some times system freez after copy 1st file!!!
I try all CD I have - Win XP SP1, Windows XP SP2, Windows XP x64, Server 2008 32 & 64 and Server 7 - no way.
I formatted ATA WD HD - the same situation! I started at Sunday at 9 am...
I was crasy !!! And at 11 pm I understood everything...
Why we have more and more problems with motherbords, software? Microsoft try to kill everybody who did not buy Windows - no pirates Windows anymore!
I think ASUS got money from Microsoft and some company make new CD ROM got money too... (new devices check is you disk legl or pirate copy).
I put back my old IDE DVD ROM and install Windows XP x64!!!

Now we came to new line in PC World! Soon no one program (I mean Microsoft) can work if you did no buy it. Throw Internet will be send code to stop or continue working for programm. And you have to understand - if you use Windows do not think about privacy (they know what you read, looking and see throw WEBCUM how long time you lie on the bad)

March 1, 2010 12:15:37 AM

Wacky things happen with all the SATA / IDE ports on this motherboard! For me, IDE drives didn't work at all, even having just one drive on the ribbon cable. I bought adapters that go on the IDE drives themselves that converted them to SATA cords. But they are messy as they require the adapters to be powered as well as the drive. Then I purchased instead a PCI slot card that has the IDE port on it as well as a couple other SATA ports. That seems to be working. With everything converting to PCI-E, using up one of the PCI slots isn't a big deal.
April 17, 2010 9:06:13 PM

Thanks all for the post about this issue. I just rebuilt my PC: MB P5Q SE Plus, CPU E8400, memory 2GB DDR2. I want to re-use my IDE WD HD and IDE DVD-ROM. I re-install XP Pro from my XP install disk. Every thing works fine, until windows has done the copy and reboot from HD. The screen shows hit "ctrl-alt-del" after reboot. I guess my HD has problem. I then re-partition/format/install XP again. But it still show the same. I did more tries like use IDE -> PIC card, IDE ->SATA converter, but all failed.
I finally gave up and buy a WD STAT HD to install XP. Of cause it work.
Two days ago, I think I can try to switch the IDE HD and DVD-ROM. Suddently, it works after re-install my XP. Now I see the problem in my system: My P5Q SE Plus can boot IDE HD from "master" (the black connector) only. It won't work in "slave" (the grey one). Now I have this issue resolved. But it cost my 4 days :pt1cable: 

-Jim
April 3, 2014 6:18:53 PM

Jimsan said:
Thanks all for the post about this issue. I just rebuilt my PC: MB P5Q SE Plus, CPU E8400, memory 2GB DDR2. I want to re-use my IDE WD HD and IDE DVD-ROM. I re-install XP Pro from my XP install disk. Every thing works fine, until windows has done the copy and reboot from HD. The screen shows hit "ctrl-alt-del" after reboot. I guess my HD has problem. I then re-partition/format/install XP again. But it still show the same. I did more tries like use IDE -> PIC card, IDE ->SATA converter, but all failed.
I finally gave up and buy a WD STAT HD to install XP. Of cause it work.
Two days ago, I think I can try to switch the IDE HD and DVD-ROM. Suddently, it works after re-install my XP. Now I see the problem in my system: My P5Q SE Plus can boot IDE HD from "master" (the black connector) only. It won't work in "slave" (the grey one). Now I have this issue resolved. But it cost my 4 days :pt1cable: 

-Jim



Not sure this will help you. But I am trying to get Windows Home Server 2011 installed on an ASUS P5Q Pro and using my IDE 160GB drive. BTW I am installing from USB drive. I discovered that it tries to install onto the 8GB drive. This is because the system sees this first. I see two devices, my 8GB (USB Drive) and my 160GB HDD. I figured the system is putting it in that order. So I re-jumpered my HDD for Cable Select, put the IDE ribbon cable half way. When I rebooted and re-started the installation, it now sees the HDD first. But it still gave an error. So I updated my BIOS by hooking up a floppy drive to the system and I flashed the BIOS to the latest ver.

When I tried the install again. everything is working. I'm currently installing the OS to the old 160GB IDE HDD.

Hope this might help.

Cheers.

P.S. This is the kind of stuff I had to do with Win95, etc...
April 4, 2014 6:26:35 AM

SoryuDragon said:
Jimsan said:
Thanks all for the post about this issue. I just rebuilt my PC: MB P5Q SE Plus, CPU E8400, memory 2GB DDR2. I want to re-use my IDE WD HD and IDE DVD-ROM. I re-install XP Pro from my XP install disk. Every thing works fine, until windows has done the copy and reboot from HD. The screen shows hit "ctrl-alt-del" after reboot. I guess my HD has problem. I then re-partition/format/install XP again. But it still show the same. I did more tries like use IDE -> PIC card, IDE ->SATA converter, but all failed.
I finally gave up and buy a WD STAT HD to install XP. Of cause it work.
Two days ago, I think I can try to switch the IDE HD and DVD-ROM. Suddently, it works after re-install my XP. Now I see the problem in my system: My P5Q SE Plus can boot IDE HD from "master" (the black connector) only. It won't work in "slave" (the grey one). Now I have this issue resolved. But it cost my 4 days :pt1cable: 

-Jim



Not sure this will help you. But I am trying to get Windows Home Server 2011 installed on an ASUS P5Q Pro and using my IDE 160GB drive. BTW I am installing from USB drive. I discovered that it tries to install onto the 8GB drive. This is because the system sees this first. I see two devices, my 8GB (USB Drive) and my 160GB HDD. I figured the system is putting it in that order. So I re-jumpered my HDD for Cable Select, put the IDE ribbon cable half way. When I rebooted and re-started the installation, it now sees the HDD first. But it still gave an error. So I updated my BIOS by hooking up a floppy drive to the system and I flashed the BIOS to the latest ver.

When I tried the install again. everything is working. I'm currently installing the OS to the old 160GB IDE HDD.

Hope this might help.

Cheers.

P.S. This is the kind of stuff I had to do with Win95, etc...


April 4, 2014 6:31:29 AM

A thing to remember with these old IDE systems is that they read the position of the drives that are connected to the IDE cable. There are only two positions available on the cable. It is not a SCSI chain. So if the drive doesn't register on the connector that you have chosen, try the other one. And make sure that the pins are straight and physically connecting. Basics first: Check to see if there is gas in the tank.
!