So how does a subscription to COV work?

Last response: in Video Games
August 12, 2005 8:00:36 AM

If you have a subscription to COH do you have access to COV, or do you have
to spend another $14.95 a month?

Clem

More about : subscription cov work

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:00:50 AM

Clem Clambake wrote:
> If you have a subscription to COH do you have access to COV, or do you have
> to spend another $14.95 a month?

Unknown as of present.

I expect a reduced rate if you subscribe to both games, but an increase
on the $14.95 a month for just CoH.

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

Clem Clambake <clemclambake@yahoo.coma> wrote:
> to spend another $14.95 a month?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'd kinda hope that the price would be
the same, since even though it's (sort of) two separate games, you can
only play one hero at a time. Also it's hard to imagine everyone
paying $30 a month for basically one (bigger) game than what they
had before.

Considering how much CoH has dropped in terms of player base as things
like WoW have come out, I suspect they'll be happy to get the $14.95
from people who would otherwise not be playing if they haddn't come out
with the expansion, er, new game.

G.
August 12, 2005 11:43:32 PM

"John Parkinson" <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote in message
> Clem Clambake wrote:
>> If you have a subscription to COH do you have access to COV, or do you
>> have
>> to spend another $14.95 a month?
>
> Unknown as of present.
>
> I expect a reduced rate if you subscribe to both games, but an increase
> on the $14.95 a month for just CoH.

Somewhere on the forums they hinted that a combined subscription would be an
extra $5 (so $15 for either one, $20 for both).
--
Zamboni
Anonymous

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:43:32 -0700, "Zamboni" <thezambonis@nospam.com>
scribed into the ether:

>"John Parkinson" <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote in message
>> Clem Clambake wrote:
>>> If you have a subscription to COH do you have access to COV, or do you
>>> have
>>> to spend another $14.95 a month?
>>
>> Unknown as of present.
>>
>> I expect a reduced rate if you subscribe to both games, but an increase
>> on the $14.95 a month for just CoH.
>>
>Somewhere on the forums they hinted that a combined subscription would be an
>extra $5 (so $15 for either one, $20 for both).

Like I really needed any more incentive to not buy CoV...
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:36:57 PM

I wouldn't mind to much a slight increase in price IF you get both
games, but the moment they make us pay more than 20 bucks, I'll
consider going elsewhere.

I mean, we already paid $50 for CoH, now another $50 for CoV, and on
top of that a gouge in monthly fees?
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:20:13 PM

You might be right, but I'm looking at it from an AO point of view.

You buy the game, pay a monthly fee. Expansion comes out, you buy the
expansion, pay same fee.

And so on...

It is a stand alone game.

That's a fact.

I don't want to pay too much for my game.

That's a fact.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:06:49 AM

"Voltrox" <maxwpowers@gmail.com> wrote in news:1124134617.265342.186660
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I wouldn't mind to much a slight increase in price IF you get both
> games, but the moment they make us pay more than 20 bucks, I'll
> consider going elsewhere.
>
> I mean, we already paid $50 for CoH, now another $50 for CoV, and on
> top of that a gouge in monthly fees?

I don't see why people are getting all wound up about this.

If you have EQ and EQ2 (or SWG) and played both, you would expect to pay
full subscription price to both of them, right?? (Although I think that
there is a Station Pass discount, am I right on that? If so, how much??)

If it was simply an expansion, I could see getting annoyed. But it is a
brand new game that just happens to allow you to interact with another
game.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

Voltrox wrote:
> You might be right, but I'm looking at it from an AO point of view.
>
> You buy the game, pay a monthly fee. Expansion comes out, you buy the
> expansion, pay same fee.

Well, in CoH you buy the game, pay a monthly fee. Expansion comes out,
you get it for free, pay same free.

Then CoV comes out. You buy the game, pay a monthly free.
(Nb. CoV isn't an expansion. It's completely standalone as a game.)

There's a bonus that you'll get a discount to this sub if you also
subscribe to a different game (CoH). Also - the games even interact!

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

On 15 Aug 2005 20:06:49 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
scribed into the ether:

>"Voltrox" <maxwpowers@gmail.com> wrote in news:1124134617.265342.186660
>@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> I wouldn't mind to much a slight increase in price IF you get both
>> games, but the moment they make us pay more than 20 bucks, I'll
>> consider going elsewhere.
>>
>> I mean, we already paid $50 for CoH, now another $50 for CoV, and on
>> top of that a gouge in monthly fees?
>

>I don't see why people are getting all wound up about this.
>
>If you have EQ and EQ2 (or SWG) and played both, you would expect to pay
>full subscription price to both of them, right?? (Although I think that
>there is a Station Pass discount, am I right on that? If so, how much??)

Yea, but EQ and EQ2 are not played in the same "universe". CoV will be.
There will be overlapping areas where heroes and villians will interact.

While you can have just CoV, it is not an independant game from CoH.

There's just no justification for adding on to the subscription fee for
that.

I think that if this is true, when it starts getting out, there are going
to be a great many people who will not get it. Hell, from board posts, it
looks like about 1/4 of the current playerbase is already fed up enough to
be quitting once I5 comes out, and that isn't taking any additional cash
out of them.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:19:33 AM

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

> While you can have just CoV, it is not an independant game from CoH.

Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played CoH.

> There's just no justification for adding on to the subscription fee
> for that.

Sure there is. Seperate development teams, seperate servers.

> I think that if this is true, when it starts getting out, there are
> going to be a great many people who will not get it. Hell, from board
> posts, it looks like about 1/4 of the current playerbase is already
> fed up enough to be quitting once I5 comes out, and that isn't taking
> any additional cash out of them.

To be honest, if everyone who said they were going to quit when a new issue
came out actually quit, there would be very few people on the forums.

Marcel
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 8:40:45 AM

On 16 Aug 2005 02:19:33 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
>
>> While you can have just CoV, it is not an independant game from CoH.
>
>Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played CoH.

That's not the same thing as an independant game, in this case. CoH and CoV
characters will DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER. It's the same game, just
different facets.

>> There's just no justification for adding on to the subscription fee
>> for that.
>
>Sure there is. Seperate development teams, seperate servers.

They aren't seperate servers. As for seperate development teams...who
knows? In between working on live patches and CoH Issues, they could have
the same people doing CoV work. It would explain why CoV is going to have
taken 18 months after CoH came out to go live, when we've known about CoV
since before CoH went live.

>> I think that if this is true, when it starts getting out, there are
>> going to be a great many people who will not get it. Hell, from board
>> posts, it looks like about 1/4 of the current playerbase is already
>> fed up enough to be quitting once I5 comes out, and that isn't taking
>> any additional cash out of them.
>
>To be honest, if everyone who said they were going to quit when a new issue
>came out actually quit, there would be very few people on the forums.

True, but I5 has a lot more disgruntled postal worker action going on than
any previous.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:21:45 AM

as a matter of fact, I reactivated my subscription last night :)  Game
is as fun as ever, although my supergroup wasn't anywhere around :(
Will have to start looking for a new SG
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:28:10 AM

Since there will be hero <-> villain interaction for PVP, the games are
NOT really entirely separate - that's the point people are making.

Now with an entirely separate set of servers and NO interaction between
CoH servers and CoV servers, two fees are legitimate.

So let me get this straight.
They made an entirely different game, and if they hadn't gone through
the *extra* trouble of making the two games interact between each
other, then it would be fine for them to charge double, but since they
went through the *extra* effort, they shouldn't?
I am the only one seing some faulty logic here?
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:53:00 AM

Matt Frisch wrote:

> They aren't seperate servers.

They are.

> As for seperate development teams...who knows?

We do. From all the statements from Devs saying CoH and CoV have
different development teams.

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:40:45 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2005 02:19:33 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
> scribed into the ether:
>> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
>>
>>> While you can have just CoV, it is not an independant game from CoH.
>>
>> Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played
>> CoH.
>
> That's not the same thing as an independant game, in this case. CoH and
> CoV
> characters will DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER. It's the same game,
> just
> different facets.

Given that these are full games, and given that you can choose to play
EITHER game without ever seeing anyone from the other game, I really don't
see why you should want a drastic price reduction for the option of being
able to interact with another game if you choose to. Wouldn't it be more
logical to pay just a little extra for such an option?

good sign." -G
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 1:43:14 PM

I'd just like to say that I'm completely summerged in the CoH universe.
I thoroughly enjoy playing the game, and was filled with glee when I
learned of CoV's release date.

That said, I'd love for the game to make it as painless as possible for
me to continue to enjoy it.

Should the company get money for something they've work hard at putting
together? Absolutely!

But no more, please?
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:28:43 PM

test

test
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:43:09 PM

Xocyll wrote:

> I think the point here is that you have to BUY CoV,

You don't have to buy CoV. You can just keep on playing CoH.

> and while you have
> CoH and CoV you can only really play ONE of the two at a time, so one
> subscription for access to the servers is sufficient.

If you have CoH and WoW you can only really play ONE of the two at a
time. Would you complain about two subscriptions for that?

> Now with an entirely separate set of servers and NO interaction between
> CoH servers and CoV servers, two fees are legitimate.

*blink*

You can play CoH and CoV like that if you want.

They are going to be separate servers. There will just be some form of
link.

I'm thinking, eg.
"Victory" - 10 machines sat here. Separate game servers just for PvE CoH.
"Victory vs Defeat" - 5 machines sat here for optional PvP content.
"Defeat" - 10 machines sat here. Separate game servers, just for PvE CoV.

Two full fees would be more than legitimate for two games.
There's a very good chance they're going to be nice and give us a
discount for playing both, however.

> With I5 around the corner and rumors of major nerfage all around,
> they're going to NEED something to keep people paying.

Meh. I5s not that bad once you try it on Test for a bit.

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

> On 16 Aug 2005 02:19:33 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> scribed into the ether:
>
>>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
>>
>>> While you can have just CoV, it is not an independant game from CoH.
>>
>>Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played
>>CoH.
>
> That's not the same thing as an independant game, in this case. CoH
> and CoV characters will DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER. It's the
> same game, just different facets.

No. Different games. If you don't have CoH installed, you can play CoV.
If you don't have CoV installed, you can play CoH. Simple as that. They
are completely seperate games that just happen to allow you to interact.
If they were just differemt facets of the same game, it would have been
released as an expansion adn you would be required to have CoH in order
to play CoV.

>>> There's just no justification for adding on to the subscription fee
>>> for that.
>>
>>Sure there is. Seperate development teams, seperate servers.
>
> They aren't seperate servers.

Umm, yes there will be.

> As for seperate development teams...who
> knows?

Because Stetesman, Lord Recluse and other Devs have said so??

> In between working on live patches and CoH Issues, they could
> have the same people doing CoV work. It would explain why CoV is going
> to have taken 18 months after CoH came out to go live, when we've
> known about CoV since before CoH went live.

Or, it could be because of the fact that they are based on the same
engine, they wanted to get the great majority of the game-breaking bugs
out of the way of CoV, so that all that is left to beta test is the
gameplay itself.

>>> I think that if this is true, when it starts getting out, there are
>>> going to be a great many people who will not get it. Hell, from
>>> board posts, it looks like about 1/4 of the current playerbase is
>>> already fed up enough to be quitting once I5 comes out, and that
>>> isn't taking any additional cash out of them.
>>
>>To be honest, if everyone who said they were going to quit when a new
>>issue came out actually quit, there would be very few people on the
>>forums.
>
> True, but I5 has a lot more disgruntled postal worker action going on
> than any previous.

But a lot of them are the people that cry DOOOOOMMMMM every Issue, so
they don't really count. Reading the test forums and the respose threads,
a large number of the people who have played I5 on the test server say
that it is not as bad as the doomsayers say it will be.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

the magic of networking and packets and TCP/IP and all that
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:28:51 PM

On 16 Aug 2005 06:53:00 GMT, John Parkinson
<jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> They aren't seperate servers.
>
>They are.

How then, exactly, are heros and villians to interact with each other, as
we know they will do, if they aren't on the same server?
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:34:54 PM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:27:07 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
scribed into the ether:

>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:40:45 GMT, Matt Frisch
><matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>> On 16 Aug 2005 02:19:33 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
>> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
>> scribed into the ether:
>>> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

>>> Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played
>>> CoH.
>>
>> That's not the same thing as an independant game, in this case. CoH and
>> CoV
>> characters will DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER. It's the same game,
>> just
>> different facets.
>
>Given that these are full games, and given that you can choose to play
>EITHER game without ever seeing anyone from the other game,

Something hardly exclusive to CoH. I almost never encounter alliance people
with my horde characters. Maybe I should get a discount because I'm not
using half of the world.

> I really don't
>see why you should want a drastic price reduction for the option of being
>able to interact with another game if you choose to.

It's not a price reduction, it's a price-saming.

> Wouldn't it be more
>logical to pay just a little extra for such an option?

If you want to have a base for your hero, you need to buy CoV.

So, Villian with base =50+ 14.99 subscription
Hero with base (never playing a villian, no interest in it) =50+50+ 19.99
(or whatever) subscription

That's surely equitable. Or, completely not...
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:38:51 PM

On 16 Aug 2005 10:43:09 GMT, John Parkinson
<jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>Xocyll wrote:
>
>> I think the point here is that you have to BUY CoV,
>
>You don't have to buy CoV. You can just keep on playing CoH.

He means as opposed to getting it for free, like an Issue. Not that he is
forced to buy CoV in the absolute sense.

>> and while you have
>> CoH and CoV you can only really play ONE of the two at a time, so one
>> subscription for access to the servers is sufficient.
>
>If you have CoH and WoW you can only really play ONE of the two at a
>time. Would you complain about two subscriptions for that?

They aren't the same game. And actually, you can play both at once. Just
not terribly well.

>They are going to be separate servers. There will just be some form of
>link.
>
>I'm thinking, eg.
>"Victory" - 10 machines sat here. Separate game servers just for PvE CoH.
>"Victory vs Defeat" - 5 machines sat here for optional PvP content.
>"Defeat" - 10 machines sat here. Separate game servers, just for PvE CoV.

Which is just another way of saying 25 machines for the Victory server,
with CoV people seeing a different name, and 1/5th of those servers being
responsible for shared areas.

>Two full fees would be more than legitimate for two games.

If only it were two games...
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:52:12 PM

On 16 Aug 2005 12:26:22 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
>
>> On 16 Aug 2005 02:19:33 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
>> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> scribed into the ether:
>>
>>>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

>>>Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played
>>>CoH.
>>
>> That's not the same thing as an independant game, in this case. CoH
>> and CoV characters will DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER. It's the
>> same game, just different facets.
>
>No. Different games. If you don't have CoH installed, you can play CoV.
>If you don't have CoV installed, you can play CoH. Simple as that.

Not as simple as that. Go ahead, and build a base in CoH without CoV.

Go earn a badge from the crossover areas without CoV.

Oh wait, you can't. Not unless you want to pay more. Meanwhile a CoV
standalone gets all of that stuff, and pays less.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:15:56 PM

> Not as simple as that. Go ahead, and build a base in CoH without CoV.
>
> Go earn a badge from the crossover areas without CoV.
>
> Oh wait, you can't. Not unless you want to pay more. Meanwhile a CoV
> standalone gets all of that stuff, and pays less.

Hmm, by your definition, CoH can then be considered an expansion to CoV.

In truth, CoH and COV are creating a new paradigm for MMORPGs that is not
really definable with the terms we are used to today. It is not a
standalone, it is not an expansion, it is somewhere in between.

An Expanshalone is what someone on the official forums called it.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2005 06:53:00 GMT, John Parkinson
><jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:
>
>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>
>>> They aren't seperate servers.
>>
>>They are.
>
> How then, exactly, are heros and villians to interact with each other, as
> we know they will do, if they aren't on the same server?

You do know that even a CoH 'server' isn't just one server machine,
right?

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

Matt Frisch wrote:

>>If you have CoH and WoW you can only really play ONE of the two at a
>>time. Would you complain about two subscriptions for that?
>
> They aren't the same game. And actually, you can play both at once. Just
> not terribly well.

And I'm willing to bet you could do exactly the same with CoH and CoV.

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

Marcel Beaudoin wrote...
> Matt Frisch wrote:
>
> > Not as simple as that. Go ahead, and build a base in CoH without CoV.
> >
> > Go earn a badge from the crossover areas without CoV.
> >
> > Oh wait, you can't. Not unless you want to pay more. Meanwhile a CoV
> > standalone gets all of that stuff, and pays less.
>
> Hmm, by your definition, CoH can then be considered an expansion to CoV.
>
> In truth, CoH and COV are creating a new paradigm for MMORPGs that is not
> really definable with the terms we are used to today. It is not a
> standalone, it is not an expansion, it is somewhere in between.
>
> An Expanshalone is what someone on the official forums called it.

Give me a break. Compare the typical 'gold' edition MMORPG with CoV and
you'll see that CoV is just a bundled CoH+Exp with bizarre
limitations...The only real differences are that CoV sounds to have the
euivalent content of around two expansions, they skipped the few month
delay between expansion and 'gold' edition, and CoV limits compatibility
between heroes and villains...

IMO the large amount of content and the ability to be standalone makes
it worth the full game box cost...But why on Earth would limiting
compatibility make it worth a higher monthly subscription cost?

Some people are either incredibly gullible or simply have way too much
money.

Zoiks!
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:51:26 AM

On 16 Aug 2005 21:13:36 GMT, John Parkinson
<jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>>>If you have CoH and WoW you can only really play ONE of the two at a
>>>time. Would you complain about two subscriptions for that?
>>
>> They aren't the same game. And actually, you can play both at once. Just
>> not terribly well.
>
>And I'm willing to bet you could do exactly the same with CoH and CoV.

Which would mean a seperate account name. This I very much doubt.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:53:39 AM

On 16 Aug 2005 19:15:56 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
>
>> Not as simple as that. Go ahead, and build a base in CoH without CoV.
>>
>> Go earn a badge from the crossover areas without CoV.
>>
>> Oh wait, you can't. Not unless you want to pay more. Meanwhile a CoV
>> standalone gets all of that stuff, and pays less.
>
>Hmm, by your definition, CoH can then be considered an expansion to CoV.

If CoV came first, then yes.

>In truth, CoH and COV are creating a new paradigm for MMORPGs that is not
>really definable with the terms we are used to today. It is not a
>standalone, it is not an expansion, it is somewhere in between.

That's nice. Please justify why a CoH customer should have to pay more for
the same things that a CoV customer gets.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:55:46 AM

On 16 Aug 2005 21:12:37 GMT, John Parkinson
<jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On 16 Aug 2005 06:53:00 GMT, John Parkinson
>><jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>>>They are.
>>
>> How then, exactly, are heros and villians to interact with each other, as
>> we know they will do, if they aren't on the same server?
>
>You do know that even a CoH 'server' isn't just one server machine,
>right?

Of course. Which is what makes the distinction between CoH and CoV servers
all the more ridiculous.

If they added more machines to an existing CoH server in order to spread
out the processor load to remove lag, would you be ok with a price hike for
that? I'm not much of a fan of paying more to get what I should be getting
already, but I can't speak for you.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:00:08 AM

Matt Frisch wrote:

> If they added more machines to an existing CoH server in order to spread
> out the processor load to remove lag, would you be ok with a price hike for
> that? I'm not much of a fan of paying more to get what I should be getting
> already, but I can't speak for you.

Paying for CoH gives you no right to play CoV.
And there's no reason it should.

End of story.

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

> On 16 Aug 2005 19:15:56 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> scribed into the ether:

>>In truth, CoH and COV are creating a new paradigm for MMORPGs that is
>>not really definable with the terms we are used to today. It is not a
>>standalone, it is not an expansion, it is somewhere in between.
>
> That's nice. Please justify why a CoH customer should have to pay more
> for the same things that a CoV customer gets.

Now we are just going in circles. Nothing I can say will convince you that
CoV isn't an expansion and should be free to play (not to purchase) and
nothing you can say will convince me that CoV isn't (in some significant
part) a standalone game that should have its own monthly fee.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:34:54 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:27:07 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
> scribed into the ether:

>> Given that these are full games, and given that you can choose to play
>> EITHER game without ever seeing anyone from the other game,
>
> Something hardly exclusive to CoH. I almost never encounter alliance
> people
> with my horde characters. Maybe I should get a discount because I'm not
> using half of the world.

And maybe I should only pay 1/3 of the DAoC subscription since I can only
play one of the three realms at any given time. But those games were
built around PvP. That is the essence of the gameplay. This is not the
case with either CoH or CoV. PvP is an extra in both cases, and as such
it would be reasonable to charge extra for it.

> If you want to have a base for your hero, you need to buy CoV.
>
> So, Villian with base =50+ 14.99 subscription
> Hero with base (never playing a villian, no interest in it) =50+50+ 19.99
> (or whatever) subscription
>
> That's surely equitable. Or, completely not...

I've played since closed beta and never had a base. Why should I get one
just because someone who has bought another game now has a base? Bases
are part of the content of CoV. I presume that the sum of content in CoV,
including bases, will be roughly the same as the sum of content in CoH,
without bases. If this presumption turns out to be wrong, fine and well.
If you happen to know that CoV (incl. bases) has more content than CoH,
I'm just plain wrong. But given that the games are supposed to cost
roughly the same, I expect roughly the same content. In that case, giving
free (or cheaper) bases to CoH users would be unreasonable.

good sign." -G
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:30:36 PM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 06:35:16 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

> Since there will be hero <-> villain interaction for PVP, the games are
> NOT really entirely separate - that's the point people are making.
>
> Now with an entirely separate set of servers and NO interaction between
> CoH servers and CoV servers, two fees are legitimate.

And my point is that people should pay MORE for 2 complete PvE games & 1
PvP game than for 2 PvE games. Not less. That's 3 games for the price of
2. Sounds great to me. (Except I hate PvP and I hate roleplaying evil
characters, so I won't get CoV.)

good sign." -G
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:55:00 AM

On 17 Aug 2005 12:00:56 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
>
>> On 16 Aug 2005 19:15:56 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
>> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> scribed into the ether:
>
>>>In truth, CoH and COV are creating a new paradigm for MMORPGs that is
>>>not really definable with the terms we are used to today. It is not a
>>>standalone, it is not an expansion, it is somewhere in between.
>>
>> That's nice. Please justify why a CoH customer should have to pay more
>> for the same things that a CoV customer gets.
>
>Now we are just going in circles. Nothing I can say will convince you that
>CoV isn't an expansion and should be free to play (not to purchase) and
>nothing you can say will convince me that CoV isn't (in some significant
>part) a standalone game that should have its own monthly fee.

That's nice. Please justify why a CoH customer should have to pay more for
the same things that a CoV customer gets.

Not including the CoV box, I mean the monthly. Assume that the CoH player
is not at all interested in actually creating a villian, but wants to build
a base and do some PvP.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:56:17 AM

On 17 Aug 2005 07:00:08 GMT, John Parkinson
<jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> If they added more machines to an existing CoH server in order to spread
>> out the processor load to remove lag, would you be ok with a price hike for
>> that? I'm not much of a fan of paying more to get what I should be getting
>> already, but I can't speak for you.
>
>Paying for CoH gives you no right to play CoV.
>And there's no reason it should.
>
>End of story.

Answer the question.

I have no objection to having to buy the box for CoV, it's paying an extra
monthly that I have a problem with, particularly in light of the fact that
what a CoV subscriber gets in their default subscription, a CoH customer
has to pay more for.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:08:22 AM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:30:36 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
scribed into the ether:

>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 06:35:16 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>
>> Since there will be hero <-> villain interaction for PVP, the games are
>> NOT really entirely separate - that's the point people are making.
>>
>> Now with an entirely separate set of servers and NO interaction between
>> CoH servers and CoV servers, two fees are legitimate.
>
>And my point is that people should pay MORE for 2 complete PvE games & 1
>PvP game than for 2 PvE games. Not less.

So you feel that WoW should double their monthly as soon as you make a
character on each faction?
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:29:36 AM

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On 17 Aug 2005 07:00:08 GMT, John Parkinson
><jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:
>
>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>
>>> If they added more machines to an existing CoH server in order to spread
>>> out the processor load to remove lag, would you be ok with a price hike for
>>> that? I'm not much of a fan of paying more to get what I should be getting
>>> already, but I can't speak for you.
>>
>>Paying for CoH gives you no right to play CoV.
>>And there's no reason it should.
>>
>>End of story.
>
> Answer the question.
>
> I have no objection to having to buy the box for CoV, it's paying an extra
> monthly that I have a problem with, particularly in light of the fact that
> what a CoV subscriber gets in their default subscription, a CoH customer
> has to pay more for.

I'm with Marcel here. We're going around in circles.

I can't see that you have any good points at all about CoV not requiring
an extra sub when there will be 2 development teams to pay for and
twice the expansions coming out.

You obviously don't think I have any good points for my PoV.
So we really should just leave this discussion.

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

On 17 Aug 2005 21:29:36 GMT, John Parkinson
<jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On 17 Aug 2005 07:00:08 GMT, John Parkinson
>><jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>>>Paying for CoH gives you no right to play CoV.
>>>And there's no reason it should.
>>>
>>>End of story.
>>
>> Answer the question.
>>
>> I have no objection to having to buy the box for CoV, it's paying an extra
>> monthly that I have a problem with, particularly in light of the fact that
>> what a CoV subscriber gets in their default subscription, a CoH customer
>> has to pay more for.
>
>I'm with Marcel here. We're going around in circles.
>
>I can't see that you have any good points at all about CoV not requiring
>an extra sub when there will be 2 development teams to pay for and
>twice the expansions coming out.
>
>You obviously don't think I have any good points for my PoV.
>So we really should just leave this discussion.

So in other words, you have no justifcation for CoV getting for "free" what
CoH has to pay extra for.

Ok, I just wanted to be clear.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 10:18:46 AM

hmm... sorry to hop in, but what exactly is CoV getting for "free" that
CoH has to pay extra for?
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:01:55 AM

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On 17 Aug 2005 21:29:36 GMT, John Parkinson
><jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:
>
>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>> On 17 Aug 2005 07:00:08 GMT, John Parkinson
>>><jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>>> Answer the question.
>>>
>>> I have no objection to having to buy the box for CoV, it's paying an extra
>>> monthly that I have a problem with, particularly in light of the fact that
>>> what a CoV subscriber gets in their default subscription, a CoH customer
>>> has to pay more for.
>>
>>I'm with Marcel here. We're going around in circles.
>>
>>I can't see that you have any good points at all about CoV not requiring
>>an extra sub when there will be 2 development teams to pay for and
>>twice the expansions coming out.
>>
>>You obviously don't think I have any good points for my PoV.
>>So we really should just leave this discussion.
>
> So in other words, you have no justifcation for CoV getting for "free" what
> CoH has to pay extra for.
>
> Ok, I just wanted to be clear.

Oh, FFS.

CoV gets nothing for "free" what CoH has to pay extra for.

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:07:36 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:23:39 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
> scribed into the ether:

> Both cases are not paying extra for it. So much for that theory.
>
> CoV = $14.99 a month for your CoV exclusive zones, your base building,
> and the 10 or whatever crossover zones for hero interaction.
>
> CoH = $14.99 a month for your CoH exclusive zones. And nothing else.
>
> CoH + CoV = $19.99 (or whatever it will be) a month for CoH exclusive
> zones, your base building, and the 10 or whatever crossover zones for
> villian interaction.

So if bases were only available for villains, you would be OK with it?
But if it is available for heroes too, they should not pay extra for it?
If CoV has less other content than CoH, then it is perfectly reasonable
that they get free bases. It is not perfectly reasonable that heroes get
more content + bases.

Of course, if CoV has the same content, then it makes no sense that only
one side get free bases. We shall have to wait and see.

>> I've played since closed beta and never had a base. Why should I get one
>> just because someone who has bought another game now has a base?
>
> If they weren't releasing CoV, it would have been included for free in I6
> or I7 most likely.

Isn't that just your imagination talking? Bases are PvP related content,
as seen by the ability to stuff them with auto-response weapons. Without
CoV, they would likely never have shown up in their current form. Perhaps
something more similar to the homes you can buy in DAoC. Or perhaps
nothing at all.

Personally I think CoV was a mistake from its very conception, a gimmick
that the game simply cannot afford, nor can its customers. I am even more
convinced when I see reactions like this. I don't think the bases you get
in CoV are the bases you want. They seem to be custom-built PvP missions,
basically, not a place to hang out with your friends or a training room or
any of the things we imagined when we were newer to the game and more
naive.

I suppose I could join the closed beta and find out for myself, but the
idea of roleplaying a villain disgusts me too at a fundamental level.
Even the graphic atmosphere of the game so far turns me off.

good sign." -G
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:51:58 PM

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2005 21:13:36 GMT, John Parkinson
><jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>>> They aren't the same game. And actually, you can play both at once. Just
>>> not terribly well.
>>
>>And I'm willing to bet you could do exactly the same with CoH and CoV.
>
> Which would mean a seperate account name. This I very much doubt.

You can run Test and Live CoH at the same time.

--
John Parkinson
Anonymous

> On 17 Aug 2005 07:00:08 GMT, John Parkinson
> <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:
>
>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>
>>> If they added more machines to an existing CoH server in order to
>>> spread out the processor load to remove lag, would you be ok with a
>>> price hike for that? I'm not much of a fan of paying more to get
>>> what I should be getting already, but I can't speak for you.
>>
>>Paying for CoH gives you no right to play CoV.
>>And there's no reason it should.
>>
>>End of story.
>
> Answer the question.
>
> I have no objection to having to buy the box for CoV, it's paying an
> extra monthly that I have a problem with, particularly in light of the
> fact that what a CoV subscriber gets in their default subscription, a
> CoH customer has to pay more for.

And yet there appear to be things (crossover zones, etc, according to the
CoV FAQ) that only CoH subscribers will get. So unless you are going to
start demanding that everyone get everything, you don't really have aleg to
stand on.

CoV will have things that CoH won't have. CoH will have things that CoV
won't have.

Quit whining.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1124371126.423691.321770
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> hmm... sorry to hop in, but what exactly is CoV getting for "free" that
> CoH has to pay extra for?

Right now, all we know is that CoV will have Supergroup bases included in
the game. If you have a SG base, and you have captured an "Artifact of
Power", you are also opening yourself up to base raids.

However, according to the CoV FAQ, there are also going to be features that
CoH has (will have??) that CoV won't.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:07:36 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

>Both cases are not paying extra for it. So much for that theory.
>
>CoV = $14.99 a month for your CoV exclusive zones, your base building, and
>the 10 or whatever crossover zones for hero interaction.
>
>CoH = $14.99 a month for your CoH exclusive zones. And nothing else.
>
>CoH + CoV = $19.99 (or whatever it will be) a month for CoH exclusive
>zones, your base building, and the 10 or whatever crossover zones for
>villian interaction.
>
>How people can be ok with being just flat out screwed through their pants
>with a rusty sawblade like that is beyond me.

CoH + CoV will NOT be 19.99 a month

You heard it here first, it will be 14.99 a month for one
subscription.

15.99 for both combined

and then you can factor in your 3 6 and 12 month plans

Stop crying about things you know nothing about.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:32:06 AM

Quantum Tarantino <QuantumTarantino@Gmail.com> looked up from reading
the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
signs say:

>On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:07:36 GMT, Matt Frisch
><matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>

>>Both cases are not paying extra for it. So much for that theory.
>>
>>CoV = $14.99 a month for your CoV exclusive zones, your base building, and
>>the 10 or whatever crossover zones for hero interaction.
>>
>>CoH = $14.99 a month for your CoH exclusive zones. And nothing else.
>>
>>CoH + CoV = $19.99 (or whatever it will be) a month for CoH exclusive
>>zones, your base building, and the 10 or whatever crossover zones for
>>villian interaction.
>>
>>How people can be ok with being just flat out screwed through their pants
>>with a rusty sawblade like that is beyond me.
>

>CoH + CoV will NOT be 19.99 a month
>
>You heard it here first, it will be 14.99 a month for one
>subscription.
>
>15.99 for both combined
>
>and then you can factor in your 3 6 and 12 month plans

And where are the CoH+CoV timecards for all the people who don't
have/don't do credit cards?

I see Coh cards, I see CoV cards, I don't see combos anywhere - so for
timecard users that looks like two full price subscriptions to have
access to both.

>Stop crying about things you know nothing about.

You're assuming there is nothing.

Xocyll
August 20, 2005 2:05:33 PM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:32:06 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

> And where are the CoH+CoV timecards for all the people who don't
> have/don't do credit cards?
>
> I see Coh cards, I see CoV cards, I don't see combos anywhere - so for
> timecard users that looks like two full price subscriptions to have
> access to both.
>
>> Stop crying about things you know nothing about.
>
> You're assuming there is nothing.

Since we're running mostly on imagination here, I suppose hearsay is the
next step up.

Hearsay from the forums is that someone met a certain Shane Hensley at
GenCon, who said (cut & paste):

"There will be NO extra fee for having both."
"You need to buy the box, but there is no added monthly fee"

So, Cov + CoH = same fee as having only CoH = Only the one timecard needed!

-

Of course, Hensley is a dev of sorts, not a suit. He doesn't actually have
the power to set prices. But he might have picked up the current attitude
(which admittedly may change depending on the desires of the shareholders
in the monhts ahead).

I think it is nuts to let people play the game for free. But then again
NCSoft does that with one of the other multiplayer games. Guild wars?
One of those. So it could happen.

good sign." -G
!