So how does a subscription to COV work?

If you have a subscription to COH do you have access to COV, or do you have
to spend another $14.95 a month?

Clem

Clem Clambake wrote:
> If you have a subscription to COH do you have access to COV, or do you have
> to spend another $14.95 a month?

Unknown as of present.

I expect a reduced rate if you subscribe to both games, but an increase
on the $14.95 a month for just CoH.

--
John Parkinson

Clem Clambake <clemclambake@yahoo.coma> wrote:
> If you have a subscription to COH do you have access to COV, or do you have
> to spend another $14.95 a month?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'd kinda hope that the price would be
the same, since even though it's (sort of) two separate games, you can
only play one hero at a time. Also it's hard to imagine everyone
paying $30 a month for basically one (bigger) game than what they
had before.

Considering how much CoH has dropped in terms of player base as things
like WoW have come out, I suspect they'll be happy to get the $14.95
from people who would otherwise not be playing if they haddn't come out
with the expansion, er, new game.

G.

"John Parkinson" <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote in message
> Clem Clambake wrote:
>> If you have a subscription to COH do you have access to COV, or do you
>> have
>> to spend another $14.95 a month?
>
> Unknown as of present.
>
> I expect a reduced rate if you subscribe to both games, but an increase
> on the $14.95 a month for just CoH.

Somewhere on the forums they hinted that a combined subscription would be an
extra $5 (so $15 for either one, $20 for both).
--
Zamboni

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:43:32 -0700, "Zamboni" <thezambonis@nospam.com>
scribed into the ether:

>"John Parkinson" <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote in message
>> Clem Clambake wrote:
>>> If you have a subscription to COH do you have access to COV, or do you
>>> have
>>> to spend another $14.95 a month?
>>
>> Unknown as of present.
>>
>> I expect a reduced rate if you subscribe to both games, but an increase
>> on the $14.95 a month for just CoH.
>>
>Somewhere on the forums they hinted that a combined subscription would be an
>extra $5 (so $15 for either one, $20 for both).

Like I really needed any more incentive to not buy CoV...

I wouldn't mind to much a slight increase in price IF you get both
games, but the moment they make us pay more than 20 bucks, I'll
consider going elsewhere.

I mean, we already paid $50 for CoH, now another $50 for CoV, and on
top of that a gouge in monthly fees?

You might be right, but I'm looking at it from an AO point of view.

You buy the game, pay a monthly fee. Expansion comes out, you buy the
expansion, pay same fee.

And so on...

It is a stand alone game.

That's a fact.

I don't want to pay too much for my game.

That's a fact.

"Voltrox" <maxwpowers@gmail.com> wrote in news:1124134617.265342.186660
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I wouldn't mind to much a slight increase in price IF you get both
> games, but the moment they make us pay more than 20 bucks, I'll
> consider going elsewhere.
>
> I mean, we already paid $50 for CoH, now another $50 for CoV, and on
> top of that a gouge in monthly fees?

I don't see why people are getting all wound up about this.

If you have EQ and EQ2 (or SWG) and played both, you would expect to pay
full subscription price to both of them, right?? (Although I think that
there is a Station Pass discount, am I right on that? If so, how much??)

If it was simply an expansion, I could see getting annoyed. But it is a
brand new game that just happens to allow you to interact with another
game.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

Voltrox wrote:
> You might be right, but I'm looking at it from an AO point of view.
>
> You buy the game, pay a monthly fee. Expansion comes out, you buy the
> expansion, pay same fee.

Well, in CoH you buy the game, pay a monthly fee. Expansion comes out,
you get it for free, pay same free.

Then CoV comes out. You buy the game, pay a monthly free.
(Nb. CoV isn't an expansion. It's completely standalone as a game.)

There's a bonus that you'll get a discount to this sub if you also
subscribe to a different game (CoH). Also - the games even interact!

--
John Parkinson

On 15 Aug 2005 20:06:49 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
scribed into the ether:

>"Voltrox" <maxwpowers@gmail.com> wrote in news:1124134617.265342.186660
>@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> I wouldn't mind to much a slight increase in price IF you get both
>> games, but the moment they make us pay more than 20 bucks, I'll
>> consider going elsewhere.
>>
>> I mean, we already paid $50 for CoH, now another $50 for CoV, and on
>> top of that a gouge in monthly fees?
>

>I don't see why people are getting all wound up about this.
>
>If you have EQ and EQ2 (or SWG) and played both, you would expect to pay
>full subscription price to both of them, right?? (Although I think that
>there is a Station Pass discount, am I right on that? If so, how much??)

Yea, but EQ and EQ2 are not played in the same "universe". CoV will be.
There will be overlapping areas where heroes and villians will interact.

While you can have just CoV, it is not an independant game from CoH.

There's just no justification for adding on to the subscription fee for
that.

I think that if this is true, when it starts getting out, there are going
to be a great many people who will not get it. Hell, from board posts, it
looks like about 1/4 of the current playerbase is already fed up enough to
be quitting once I5 comes out, and that isn't taking any additional cash
out of them.

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

> While you can have just CoV, it is not an independant game from CoH.

Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played CoH.

> There's just no justification for adding on to the subscription fee
> for that.

Sure there is. Seperate development teams, seperate servers.

> I think that if this is true, when it starts getting out, there are
> going to be a great many people who will not get it. Hell, from board
> posts, it looks like about 1/4 of the current playerbase is already
> fed up enough to be quitting once I5 comes out, and that isn't taking
> any additional cash out of them.

To be honest, if everyone who said they were going to quit when a new issue
came out actually quit, there would be very few people on the forums.

Marcel

On 16 Aug 2005 02:19:33 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
>
>> While you can have just CoV, it is not an independant game from CoH.
>
>Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played CoH.

That's not the same thing as an independant game, in this case. CoH and CoV
characters will DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER. It's the same game, just
different facets.

>> There's just no justification for adding on to the subscription fee
>> for that.
>
>Sure there is. Seperate development teams, seperate servers.

They aren't seperate servers. As for seperate development teams...who
knows? In between working on live patches and CoH Issues, they could have
the same people doing CoV work. It would explain why CoV is going to have
taken 18 months after CoH came out to go live, when we've known about CoV
since before CoH went live.

>> I think that if this is true, when it starts getting out, there are
>> going to be a great many people who will not get it. Hell, from board
>> posts, it looks like about 1/4 of the current playerbase is already
>> fed up enough to be quitting once I5 comes out, and that isn't taking
>> any additional cash out of them.
>
>To be honest, if everyone who said they were going to quit when a new issue
>came out actually quit, there would be very few people on the forums.

True, but I5 has a lot more disgruntled postal worker action going on than
any previous.

as a matter of fact, I reactivated my subscription last night :) Game
is as fun as ever, although my supergroup wasn't anywhere around :(
Will have to start looking for a new SG

Since there will be hero <-> villain interaction for PVP, the games are
NOT really entirely separate - that's the point people are making.

Now with an entirely separate set of servers and NO interaction between
CoH servers and CoV servers, two fees are legitimate.

So let me get this straight.
They made an entirely different game, and if they hadn't gone through
the *extra* trouble of making the two games interact between each
other, then it would be fine for them to charge double, but since they
went through the *extra* effort, they shouldn't?
I am the only one seing some faulty logic here?

Matt Frisch wrote:

> They aren't seperate servers.

They are.

> As for seperate development teams...who knows?

We do. From all the statements from Devs saying CoH and CoV have
different development teams.

--
John Parkinson

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:40:45 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2005 02:19:33 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
> scribed into the ether:
>> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
>>
>>> While you can have just CoV, it is not an independant game from CoH.
>>
>> Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played
>> CoH.
>
> That's not the same thing as an independant game, in this case. CoH and
> CoV
> characters will DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER. It's the same game,
> just
> different facets.

Given that these are full games, and given that you can choose to play
EITHER game without ever seeing anyone from the other game, I really don't
see why you should want a drastic price reduction for the option of being
able to interact with another game if you choose to. Wouldn't it be more
logical to pay just a little extra for such an option?

good sign." -G

I'd just like to say that I'm completely summerged in the CoH universe.
I thoroughly enjoy playing the game, and was filled with glee when I
learned of CoV's release date.

That said, I'd love for the game to make it as painless as possible for
me to continue to enjoy it.

Should the company get money for something they've work hard at putting
together? Absolutely!

But no more, please?

Xocyll wrote:

> I think the point here is that you have to BUY CoV,

You don't have to buy CoV. You can just keep on playing CoH.

> and while you have
> CoH and CoV you can only really play ONE of the two at a time, so one
> subscription for access to the servers is sufficient.

If you have CoH and WoW you can only really play ONE of the two at a
time. Would you complain about two subscriptions for that?

> Now with an entirely separate set of servers and NO interaction between
> CoH servers and CoV servers, two fees are legitimate.

*blink*

You can play CoH and CoV like that if you want.

They are going to be separate servers. There will just be some form of
link.

I'm thinking, eg.
"Victory" - 10 machines sat here. Separate game servers just for PvE CoH.
"Victory vs Defeat" - 5 machines sat here for optional PvP content.
"Defeat" - 10 machines sat here. Separate game servers, just for PvE CoV.

Two full fees would be more than legitimate for two games.
There's a very good chance they're going to be nice and give us a
discount for playing both, however.

> With I5 around the corner and rumors of major nerfage all around,
> they're going to NEED something to keep people paying.

Meh. I5s not that bad once you try it on Test for a bit.

--
John Parkinson

> On 16 Aug 2005 02:19:33 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> scribed into the ether:
>
>>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
>>
>>> While you can have just CoV, it is not an independant game from CoH.
>>
>>Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played
>>CoH.
>
> That's not the same thing as an independant game, in this case. CoH
> and CoV characters will DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER. It's the
> same game, just different facets.

No. Different games. If you don't have CoH installed, you can play CoV.
If you don't have CoV installed, you can play CoH. Simple as that. They
are completely seperate games that just happen to allow you to interact.
If they were just differemt facets of the same game, it would have been
released as an expansion adn you would be required to have CoH in order
to play CoV.

>>> There's just no justification for adding on to the subscription fee
>>> for that.
>>
>>Sure there is. Seperate development teams, seperate servers.
>
> They aren't seperate servers.

Umm, yes there will be.

> As for seperate development teams...who
> knows?

Because Stetesman, Lord Recluse and other Devs have said so??

> In between working on live patches and CoH Issues, they could
> have the same people doing CoV work. It would explain why CoV is going
> to have taken 18 months after CoH came out to go live, when we've
> known about CoV since before CoH went live.

Or, it could be because of the fact that they are based on the same
engine, they wanted to get the great majority of the game-breaking bugs
out of the way of CoV, so that all that is left to beta test is the
gameplay itself.

>>> I think that if this is true, when it starts getting out, there are
>>> going to be a great many people who will not get it. Hell, from
>>> board posts, it looks like about 1/4 of the current playerbase is
>>> already fed up enough to be quitting once I5 comes out, and that
>>> isn't taking any additional cash out of them.
>>
>>To be honest, if everyone who said they were going to quit when a new
>>issue came out actually quit, there would be very few people on the
>>forums.
>
> True, but I5 has a lot more disgruntled postal worker action going on
> than any previous.

But a lot of them are the people that cry DOOOOOMMMMM every Issue, so
they don't really count. Reading the test forums and the respose threads,
a large number of the people who have played I5 on the test server say
that it is not as bad as the doomsayers say it will be.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

On 16 Aug 2005 06:53:00 GMT, John Parkinson
<jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> They aren't seperate servers.
>
>They are.

How then, exactly, are heros and villians to interact with each other, as
we know they will do, if they aren't on the same server?

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:27:07 +0200, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
scribed into the ether:

>On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:40:45 GMT, Matt Frisch
><matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>> On 16 Aug 2005 02:19:33 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
>> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
>> scribed into the ether:
>>> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

>>> Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played
>>> CoH.
>>
>> That's not the same thing as an independant game, in this case. CoH and
>> CoV
>> characters will DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER. It's the same game,
>> just
>> different facets.
>
>Given that these are full games, and given that you can choose to play
>EITHER game without ever seeing anyone from the other game,

Something hardly exclusive to CoH. I almost never encounter alliance people
with my horde characters. Maybe I should get a discount because I'm not
using half of the world.

> I really don't
>see why you should want a drastic price reduction for the option of being
>able to interact with another game if you choose to.

It's not a price reduction, it's a price-saming.

> Wouldn't it be more
>logical to pay just a little extra for such an option?

If you want to have a base for your hero, you need to buy CoV.

So, Villian with base =50+ 14.99 subscription
Hero with base (never playing a villian, no interest in it) =50+50+ 19.99
(or whatever) subscription

That's surely equitable. Or, completely not...

On 16 Aug 2005 10:43:09 GMT, John Parkinson
<jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> scribed into the ether:

>Xocyll wrote:
>
>> I think the point here is that you have to BUY CoV,
>
>You don't have to buy CoV. You can just keep on playing CoH.

He means as opposed to getting it for free, like an Issue. Not that he is
forced to buy CoV in the absolute sense.

>> and while you have
>> CoH and CoV you can only really play ONE of the two at a time, so one
>> subscription for access to the servers is sufficient.
>
>If you have CoH and WoW you can only really play ONE of the two at a
>time. Would you complain about two subscriptions for that?

They aren't the same game. And actually, you can play both at once. Just
not terribly well.

>They are going to be separate servers. There will just be some form of
>link.
>
>I'm thinking, eg.
>"Victory" - 10 machines sat here. Separate game servers just for PvE CoH.
>"Victory vs Defeat" - 5 machines sat here for optional PvP content.
>"Defeat" - 10 machines sat here. Separate game servers, just for PvE CoV.

Which is just another way of saying 25 machines for the Victory server,
with CoV people seeing a different name, and 1/5th of those servers being
responsible for shared areas.

>Two full fees would be more than legitimate for two games.

If only it were two games...

On 16 Aug 2005 12:26:22 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
>
>> On 16 Aug 2005 02:19:33 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
>> <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> scribed into the ether:
>>
>>>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

>>>Bzzt. Wrong. You will be able to play CoV without ever having played
>>>CoH.
>>
>> That's not the same thing as an independant game, in this case. CoH
>> and CoV characters will DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER. It's the
>> same game, just different facets.
>
>No. Different games. If you don't have CoH installed, you can play CoV.
>If you don't have CoV installed, you can play CoH. Simple as that.

Not as simple as that. Go ahead, and build a base in CoH without CoV.

Go earn a badge from the crossover areas without CoV.

Oh wait, you can't. Not unless you want to pay more. Meanwhile a CoV
standalone gets all of that stuff, and pays less.