Cingular VoiceMail on MPx220

Last response: in Network Providers
January 29, 2005 12:26:25 AM

I got my new MPx220 a couple of days ago, and I'd get a voicemail
notification when I had a message in my VM box. When I pushed the softkey
that corresponds to the voicemail notification, it attempts to dial "1" and
then I get an error.

I called Cingular and the tech told me to setup my voicemail by calling it
from a third party phone or my own phone which I did and I set up a
passcode. Now, to check my voicemail I have to call my own number it seems
and then hit the " * " button and it will play back my messages.

Is there a direct way to go into it? I mean, when I had Sprint, I just went
directly into my voicemail box as it knew I was calling from my own phone.
It's not really a big deal, just kind of a small nag.

Also, does pushing #1 work for anyone automatically, or do you have to add
it to the speed dial list for #1 button for it to work?
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:55:24 AM

* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
* Newsgroup alt.cellular.cingular
* Reply to: All; "efishta" <sorrydude@sorrydude.com>
* Date:Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:53:25 -0500
* Subj: Cingular VoiceMail on MPx220

e>I got my new MPx220 a couple of days ago, and I'd get a voicemail
e>notification when I had a message in my VM box. When I pushed the
e>softkey that corresponds to the voicemail notification, it
e>attempts to dial "1" and then I get an error.

e>I called Cingular and the tech told me to setup my voicemail by
e>calling it from a third party phone or my own phone which I did
e>and I set up a passcode. Now, to check my voicemail I have to
e>call my own number it seems and then hit the " * " button and it
e>will play back my messages.

e>Is there a direct way to go into it? I mean, when I had Sprint, I
e>just went directly into my voicemail box as it knew I was
e>calling from my own phone.
e>It's not really a big deal, just kind of a small nag.

e>Also, does pushing #1 work for anyone automatically, or do you
e>have to add it to the speed dial list for #1 button for it to
e>work?

Press and *Hold* the number 1 and it should dial and connect directly
to your VM.
--
Jack
February 7, 2005 12:56:19 AM

Hello. I just got the 220 also, and the phone was not set up for Voice
Mail. The problem is that the phone is not programmed with any phone number
to call when you press and hold the #1 button.
Here's the solution:

Start | Settings | Phone | Options

Your "Voice mail number: " is most likely blank.

I got my local number from a nearby store. They had a list of local numbers
for voice mail. You may be able to call Tech support to get it. But like
always, they didn't know how to fix this simple problem either.

Question for you or anyone else. I put a 1 in front of the 10 digit number
to call for voicemail. Would it be better to place a "+" in front of this
also? I noticed that the SMS service center number has a + in front of that
number. Perhaps this makes it work better when traveling out of the
country??

TIA
--
Dana

"efishta" <sorrydude@sorrydude.com> wrote in message
>I got my new MPx220 a couple of days ago, and I'd get a voicemail
>notification when I had a message in my VM box. When I pushed the softkey
>that corresponds to the voicemail notification, it attempts to dial "1" and
>then I get an error.
>
> I called Cingular and the tech told me to setup my voicemail by calling it
> from a third party phone or my own phone which I did and I set up a
> passcode. Now, to check my voicemail I have to call my own number it seems
> and then hit the " * " button and it will play back my messages.
>
> Is there a direct way to go into it? I mean, when I had Sprint, I just
> went directly into my voicemail box as it knew I was calling from my own
> phone. It's not really a big deal, just kind of a small nag.
>
> Also, does pushing #1 work for anyone automatically, or do you have to add
> it to the speed dial list for #1 button for it to work?

Related resources
February 7, 2005 6:10:58 AM

In article <3LANd.25630$gS5.13879@bignews3.bellsouth.net>, Dana
<delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Question for you or anyone else. I put a 1 in front of the 10 digit number
> to call for voicemail. Would it be better to place a "+" in front of this
> also? I noticed that the SMS service center number has a + in front of that
> number. Perhaps this makes it work better when traveling out of the
> country??

Yes, that's exactly the purpose of the +.

steve
February 7, 2005 6:10:59 AM

Thanks Steve. I am planning to travel out of the country next week, so I'll
go ahead now and update my voicemail number by using +1(10 digit number).
This is a new phone for me, so hopefully, I'll be able to retrieve my voice
mail without having to make any changes once in the foreign country.
Thanks for the feedback. :>)

--
Dana

"steve" <reply@news.group> wrote in message
> In article <3LANd.25630$gS5.13879@bignews3.bellsouth.net>, Dana
> <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> Question for you or anyone else. I put a 1 in front of the 10 digit
>> number
>> to call for voicemail. Would it be better to place a "+" in front of
>> this
>> also? I noticed that the SMS service center number has a + in front of
>> that
>> number. Perhaps this makes it work better when traveling out of the
>> country??
>
> Yes, that's exactly the purpose of the +.
>
> steve
February 7, 2005 6:32:23 AM

If it doesn't work it won't have anything to do with the phone, just
the network and voicemail setup.

steve

In article <O4BNd.25663$gS5.16199@bignews3.bellsouth.net>, Dana

!