Which folders are shortcuts?

In WinXP, Explorer I have 4-5 instances of 'My Documents' and
subfolders. ( I posted about this several days ago and someone said I
could safely delete all instances that were shortcuts.)
How do I tell which folders are shortcuts? On the desktop the icons
look different. I can tell no difference in Explorer.
13 answers Last reply
More about which folders shortcuts

    My advice to you is to stay out of Explorer.. that way you won't see what
    appears to be duplicated, but actually serves a purpose.. these things do no
    harm and take up virtually no space..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:

    > My advice to you is to stay out of Explorer.. that way you won't see what
    > appears to be duplicated, but actually serves a purpose.. these things do no
    > harm and take up virtually no space..

    Ah, but I function almost exclusively in Explorer (with the exception of
    START|ALL PROGRAMS).

    RIGHT-click on the icon, select "properties" - read the tab information - if
    it's a short-cut, it says so. You can safely delete any short-cut icon (via
    the same "Properties" menu - you will lose no data, just the unwanted
    short-cut.
    HTH - Silvabod
    "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In WinXP, Explorer I have 4-5 instances of 'My Documents' and subfolders.
    > ( I posted about this several days ago and someone said I could safely
    > delete all instances that were shortcuts.)
    > How do I tell which folders are shortcuts? On the desktop the icons look
    > different. I can tell no difference in Explorer.

    Silva

    For general shortcuts, I would agree with what you say, but the OP is
    looking at 'shortcuts' where the system may not allow deletion..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Silva
    >
    > For general shortcuts, I would agree with what you say, but the OP is
    > looking at 'shortcuts' where the system may not allow deletion..

    Well, since you sign in as MS-MVP, I guess you know something. Are you
    saying the My Documents and subfolders shortcuts are 'special' and can't
    safely be deleted?
    Do I really need 5 of these things?

    XP sets up these folders for a reason.. one of them is for people who may
    decide to add user accounts to the system.. ease of access is another reason
    for what appears to be multiple entries..

    So why should you care about their presence?.. they do absolutely no harm..
    they are there for your convenience should you choose to alter the way that
    your computer is set up.. they take up virtually zero space on the hard
    drive..

    I can't understand why some decide to go delving into the sub system looking
    for problems to create.. the stupid part is that many download and run the
    most appallingly bad stuff that creates more problems than ever an empty XP
    folder can..

    Some of the folders are 'system protected' and for good reason.. when
    computer illiterates download stuff and don't know where its gone, they can
    be pointed to these default save folders.. Win 9x never had them, and the
    amount of people not able to find files after hours downloading through dial
    up connections were huge.. I heard chat room experts tell these people to
    download to the desktop.. hahahahaha, just what an overloaded desktop
    needed.. and they wondered why Win 9x used to crash out..

    Programs like Clean Sweep used to find duplicates.. again, some files needed
    to be in multiple folders, but whatever.. users would delete multiple
    entries of ctldll32, vbrunXXX (or similar) and then find that virtually no
    program would run anymore..

    If XP has installed multiple elements of something, you can bet your life
    that at some point in time, there will be, or already is, a need for it..

    Use your computer productively.. whether that is to defeat the enemy in
    Delta Force 2, create a newsletter in MS Publisher, edit holiday photos or
    videos, or playing online Bingo, make the computer work for you and forget
    about the inner workings until you definitely have a problem.. and come that
    time, return here to get fixes rather than delve into what appears to a
    layman to be an illogical system

    BTW.. the biggest single threat to the world is man without wisdom wanting
    to change it.. the biggest single threat to a computer is a user/operator

    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >> Silva
    >>
    >> For general shortcuts, I would agree with what you say, but the OP is
    >> looking at 'shortcuts' where the system may not allow deletion..
    >>
    > Well, since you sign in as MS-MVP, I guess you know something. Are you
    > saying the My Documents and subfolders shortcuts are 'special' and can't
    > safely be deleted?
    > Do I really need 5 of these things?

    Mike maybe you should take the time to explain what you are talking about.
    I have never seen more than one instance of "My Documents" in Explorer.
    Where exactly does Windows XP make more than one instance of it?
    do you mean Docs & Settings - My Documents for each user that may log on?
    If so then yes leave the other users My Docs alone but clean up your own.
    If there is more than one icon on the desktop and that is what OP is
    referring to then yes he can safely delete them.. why not?
    I'd be interested to know where exactly it is showing the second My
    Documents in Explorer....

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > XP sets up these folders for a reason.. one of them is for people who may
    > decide to add user accounts to the system.. ease of access is another reason
    > for what appears to be multiple entries..
    >
    > So why should you care about their presence?.. they do absolutely no harm..
    > they are there for your convenience should you choose to alter the way that
    > your computer is set up.. they take up virtually zero space on the hard
    > drive..
    >
    > I can't understand why some decide to go delving into the sub system looking
    > for problems to create.. the stupid part is that many download and run the
    > most appallingly bad stuff that creates more problems than ever an empty XP
    > folder can..
    >
    > Some of the folders are 'system protected' and for good reason.. when
    > computer illiterates download stuff and don't know where its gone, they can
    > be pointed to these default save folders.. Win 9x never had them, and the
    > amount of people not able to find files after hours downloading through dial
    > up connections were huge.. I heard chat room experts tell these people to
    > download to the desktop.. hahahahaha, just what an overloaded desktop
    > needed.. and they wondered why Win 9x used to crash out..
    >
    > Programs like Clean Sweep used to find duplicates.. again, some files needed
    > to be in multiple folders, but whatever.. users would delete multiple
    > entries of ctldll32, vbrunXXX (or similar) and then find that virtually no
    > program would run anymore..
    >
    > If XP has installed multiple elements of something, you can bet your life
    > that at some point in time, there will be, or already is, a need for it..
    >
    > Use your computer productively.. whether that is to defeat the enemy in
    > Delta Force 2, create a newsletter in MS Publisher, edit holiday photos or
    > videos, or playing online Bingo, make the computer work for you and forget
    > about the inner workings until you definitely have a problem.. and come that
    > time, return here to get fixes rather than delve into what appears to a
    > layman to be an illogical system
    >
    > BTW.. the biggest single threat to the world is man without wisdom wanting
    > to change it.. the biggest single threat to a computer is a user/operator
    > without wisdom wanting to change it..
    >

    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > >> Silva
    > >>
    > >> For general shortcuts, I would agree with what you say, but the OP is
    > >> looking at 'shortcuts' where the system may not allow deletion..
    > >>
    > > Well, since you sign in as MS-MVP, I guess you know something. Are you
    > > saying the My Documents and subfolders shortcuts are 'special' and can't
    > > safely be deleted?
    > > Do I really need 5 of these things?

    Oh and please explain the following statement
    "For general shortcuts, I would agree with what you say, but the OP is
    looking at 'shortcuts' where the system may not allow deletion"

    Maybe im just ignorant but wtf is "shortcuts"

    "Devious" wrote:

> [...]
    > > Delta Force 2, create a newsletter in MS Publisher, edit holiday photos or
    > > videos, or playing online Bingo, make the computer work for you and forget
    > > about the inner workings until you definitely have a problem.. and come that
    > > time, return here to get fixes rather than delve into what appears to a
    > > layman to be an illogical system
    > >
    > > BTW.. the biggest single threat to the world is man without wisdom wanting
    > > to change it.. the biggest single threat to a computer is a user/operator
    > > without wisdom wanting to change it..
    > >

    > > --
    > > Mike Hall
    > > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > >

    > > "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > > > Well, since you sign in as MS-MVP, I guess you know something. Are you
    > > > saying the My Documents and subfolders shortcuts are 'special' and can't

    None of them are probably shortcuts. The icon will have an arrow if they are a shortcut. Why don't you use your computer instead of breaking it and wasting space here.

    "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message news:43048A90.4050302@gmail.com...
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >> Silva
    >>
    >> For general shortcuts, I would agree with what you say, but the OP is
    >> looking at 'shortcuts' where the system may not allow deletion..
    >>
    > Well, since you sign in as MS-MVP, I guess you know something. Are you
    > saying the My Documents and subfolders shortcuts are 'special' and can't
    > safely be deleted?
    > Do I really need 5 of these things?

    Devious

    Have you never seen the selection in a drop down menu to 'create shortcut',
    or the name of a user generated icon called 'shortcut to xxxxxx'?..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Devious" <Devious@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> >
    >> > If XP has installed multiple elements of something, you can bet your
    >> > life
    >> > that at some point in time, there will be, or already is, a need for
    >> > it..
    >> >
    >> > Use your computer productively.. whether that is to defeat the enemy in
    >> > Delta Force 2, create a newsletter in MS Publisher, edit holiday photos
    >> > or
    >> > videos, or playing online Bingo, make the computer work for you and
    >> > forget
    >> > about the inner workings until you definitely have a problem.. and come
    >> > that
    >> > time, return here to get fixes rather than delve into what appears to a
    >> > layman to be an illogical system
    >> >
    >> > BTW.. the biggest single threat to the world is man without wisdom
    >> > wanting
    >> > to change it.. the biggest single threat to a computer is a

    OK J..

    Enough messing about.. :-)

    Right click on the icon that you think maybe a shortcut.. select
    properties.. so what size is the shortcut?.. if it is around 2k or some
    trivial amount, then it is a shortcut.. under the 'General' tab, it even
    tells you the file type, so you should be left in no doubt.. When you get to
    the My Documents that is the real one, it will be way larger than 2k.. this
    is the one that you keep..

    I am intrigued by you having more than one.. I know of no function within XP
    that will do this without user intervention of some kind.. I am also
    puzzled, as is our friend Devious, as to why you have so many instances of
    My Documents complete with the full compliment of sub folders..

    I am beginning to think that you maybe have more than one instance of XP
    within the same partition.. have you tried to repair or re-install XP at any
    point?.. do you have other user accounts?.. do other people have access to
    the computer?.. if so, have you asked them about any of this?

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >> Silva
    >>
    >> For general shortcuts, I would agree with what you say, but the OP is
    >> looking at 'shortcuts' where the system may not allow deletion..
    >>
    > Well, since you sign in as MS-MVP, I guess you know something. Are you
    > saying the My Documents and subfolders shortcuts are 'special' and can't
    > safely be deleted?
    > Do I really need 5 of these things?

    He is speaking idiot talk to the person so they might understand.

> [...]
    >> > entries of ctldll32, vbrunXXX (or similar) and then find that virtually no
    >> > program would run anymore..
    >> >
    >> > If XP has installed multiple elements of something, you can bet your life
    >> > that at some point in time, there will be, or already is, a need for it..
    >> >
    >> > Use your computer productively.. whether that is to defeat the enemy in
    >> > Delta Force 2, create a newsletter in MS Publisher, edit holiday photos or
    >> > videos, or playing online Bingo, make the computer work for you and forget
    >> > about the inner workings until you definitely have a problem.. and come that
    >> > time, return here to get fixes rather than delve into what appears to a
    >> > layman to be an illogical system
    >> >
    >> > BTW.. the biggest single threat to the world is man without wisdom wanting
    >> > to change it.. the biggest single threat to a computer is a user/operator

    Oh my mistake

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > He is speaking idiot talk to the person so they might understand.

    > "Devious" <Devious@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F6CECA5-7539-4A1B-A8F7-5A55A75F8A72@microsoft.com...
    > > Oh and please explain the following statement
    > > "For general shortcuts, I would agree with what you say, but the OP is
    > > looking at 'shortcuts' where the system may not allow deletion"
    > >
    > > Maybe im just ignorant but wtf is "shortcuts"
    > >
    > > "Devious" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Mike maybe you should take the time to explain what you are talking about.
    > >> I have never seen more than one instance of "My Documents" in Explorer.
    > >> Where exactly does Windows XP make more than one instance of it?
    > >> do you mean Docs & Settings - My Documents for each user that may log on?
    > >> If so then yes leave the other users My Docs alone but clean up your own.
    > >> If there is more than one icon on the desktop and that is what OP is
    > >> referring to then yes he can safely delete them.. why not?
    > >> I'd be interested to know where exactly it is showing the second My
    > >> Documents in Explorer....

My Documents Explorer Microsoft Windows XP