avi8tir

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
recently got a new O/S hdd and want to Raid 1 my old storage drive. I have my old 120gb hdd and a new 160 gb hdd that I want to set up in Raid 1. basically want to take all of contents of my 120 gb and have my new 160gb drive mirror it. I am running a fresh install of vista ultimate on my 300gb o/s drive.

can someone walk me through the steps of doing this? Ive searched and searched and cant find exactly what I am looking for.

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Well you need to tell us more information for anyone to help.

First are you going to use software, or hardware raid?

software raid you setup through your operating system.
hardware raid you setup through your motherboard or an add in card that typically fits in a pci slot.

if your doing software raid, which i presume you are, you need to tell us what operating system you are using. Depending on the OS it may be supported, unsupported, or unofficially supported.

When creating a software raid you need to consider that if your OS hard drive fails your still somewhat up a creek. You need to make sure the new OS you load will be able to recognize your software raid you created or your data will essentially be lost.

Hardware raid on the otherhand does not have this problem, but requires specialized hardware to work. Either through your motherboard or an add in card. The raid will work no matter what happens to your OS hard drive. But if the hardware raid device, (mobo or card) dies you need to replace it with an identical piece of hardware for your raid to function again. Some of the better raid card manufacturers do not have this problem.

Take the info i gave you into consideration when you post back.