Prebuild systems that come with raptor hard drive

jeffreyhsieh99

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2003
I know it's kind of strange to post question about prebuilt systems here but I cannot find other place with more knowledgeable people.

Plan to buy a new system with well known brand, but want a raptor as primary hard drive. So the nature choice seems to be Dell XPS 620. The problem is, I also want to 64-bit Vista, which Dell does not support. The other choice is HP but to have a raptor, you need to buy workstation class which is more than or close to 2k.

To summarize:

Mandatory: 64-bit Vista (for 4GB memory)(rules Dell out)
Preferred: well known brand
Preferred: raptor as primary HD (cost too much for HP setup)

Gents, what suggestion do you have? I can buy an HP then replace the HD myself, but will it break warranty? Or raptor is no longer a good choice? I currently have a raptor WD740ADFD and really like its performance.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Raptor is no longer a good choice unless it is one of the new ones. The VelociRaptor.

What else do you want on your system? Why does it have to be prebuilt, just curious.

However, if you want a Raptor as your main drive (sadly, only the older ones right now) look at Maingear. TOP NOTCH! Very good builder.

jeffreyhsieh99

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2003

That system will be for my wife and she is sold on brand names. She will run statistical applications like SPSS, sometimes PhotoShop, and sometimes geographical applications like ArcGIS. For the ArcGIS she uses mostly discrete graph so workstation graphics card probably is overkill.