80GB, 250GB and 750GB almost full, need 2 buy 1.5TB or 2TB ASAP...

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Hi all...
I'm quickly running out of space on my hard drives, so the time is coming to upgrade. I was hoping I could wait until the 2TB drives (preferably faster than 5900rpm) came down in price so they matched or beat the $/TB ratio of the 1 and 1.5TB drives, but I can't wait much longer, maybe a couple days or less.
MC%202009-09-12%20-%20HDD%20Space%20Usage.jpg

I am now down to less than 8GB free on the 750GB drive. So, instead of waiting to buy a 2TB drive, I need to get a 1.5TB drive now. (Getting a 1TB is out of the question.) I currently have an 80GB Western Digital WD800JB, 250GB Western Digital WD250JB, and 750GB Western Digital WD7500AAKS installed. (The 80GB and 750GB drives are split into multiple partitions.) When I get a new HDD, I plan to retire the 80GB and migrate my boot drive to the 250GB drive.
This will mostly be a data storage drive for the time being. I would welcome recommendations as to what drive I should get. I'm strongly leaning toward the Western Digital WD15EADS due to my good experience with that brand in the past, but am open to other suggestions. Are any of Seagate's or Samsung's offerings in the 1.5 (or 2TB if I get a good deal) range known for their quality and reliability? Or should I stick with Western Digital?
Also, I'm partial to buying from newegg because I've had good experience with them in the past buying other things. However, I have read a lot of complaints about ppl receiving DOA OEM HDDs from NewEgg because of the way they were packaged for shipping. Should I go ahead and order from them anyway (they do ship to me extremely fast, making paying for overnight shipping almost a moot point, although I do have to pay sales tax in Calif), or should I get the HDD from somewhere else? (For example, I recently (a month or two ago) saw a retail boxed version of the 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD at Fry's for around $220 or something like that, but it was over my price range at the time so I didn't buy it. It's $199.99 online right now, which is closer to my price range, but idk if that price is honored in-store.) Also, I plan to get 2 of them - one will be for backup. (And don't tell me to get a Drobo or anything like that - I absolutely CANNOT afford that. I might consider a $400 (or whatever it is) Drobo if it comes with something like 6 to 8 TB of storage, but last I checked, it didn't come with any.) My mobo does support RAID, I believe, but I have limited physical space in my case.