Folder / file "view" question

Is there any way in XP to quickly change the viewing format
of all the folders, files
and sub folders view in one step?

I prefer the "list" view and hate changing each individual
folder whenever I transfer a mega-folder from my server
or CD to my desktop.

Thanks...

Open My Computer
Click View
Select List
Click Tools
Click Folder Options
Click View
Click Apply to all folders
Click OK

All folders should now open in the list view.

"Allenx" wrote:

> Is there any way in XP to quickly change the viewing format
> of all the folders, files
> and sub folders view in one step?
>
> I prefer the "list" view and hate changing each individual
> folder whenever I transfer a mega-folder from my server
> or CD to my desktop.
>

> Thanks...

It might and it mightn't. He wants file folders done so he would open a file folder and do it. If file folders has been done previously then doing it in My Computer will have no effect on file folders.

Saved folder settings are stored in BagMRU. Defaults and network/removable
drives are stored in Streams key (as everything was in earlier versions).

You have to do Apply To All while in a file folder.
For each type of object (File Folder, Control Panel, My Computer, etc) that
you do an Apply to All in it's clsid and the settings are created/updated at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
\Defaults

{F3364BA0-65B9-11CE-A9BA-00AA004AE837} is ordinary folders, and other
numbers are what ever they are (My Comp, Control Panel, etc - note My Docs
is an ordinary folder). They only appear IF you do an apply to all in that
type of object.

as well as a higher set of defaults at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
Settings=

So the point being in the order that you do things. You want to do your
overall default setting last. This is how I advised someone who asked

"Steve Rollins" <Steverollins@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:F7E9E504-B691-4B1F-90C1-C8E19DCB023D@microsoft.com...
> Open My Computer
> Click View
> Select List
> Click Tools
> Click Folder Options
> Click View
> Click Apply to all folders
> Click OK
>
> All folders should now open in the list view.
>

> "Allenx" wrote:
>
>> Is there any way in XP to quickly change the viewing format
>> of all the folders, files
>> and sub folders view in one step?
>>
>> I prefer the "list" view and hate changing each individual
>> folder whenever I transfer a mega-folder from my server
>> or CD to my desktop.
>>

>> Thanks...

I appreciate the help.

I stay far away from fooling around with the registry. So if that is the
solution, I'll continue to use the laborious manual way.

When I copy a folder from my server, it always seems to appear as
a collection of large icons. I really am searching for a way I can click on
the newly imported folder, select a "list format" and have all sub-folders
and
files within it appear that way. I've tried just about everything to no
avail.

----------------------
"Steve Rollins" <Steverollins@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> Open My Computer
> Click View
> Select List
> Click Tools
> Click Folder Options
> Click View
> Click Apply to all folders
> Click OK
>
> All folders should now open in the list view.
>

> "Allenx" wrote:
>
>> Is there any way in XP to quickly change the viewing format
>> of all the folders, files
>> and sub folders view in one step?
>>
>> I prefer the "list" view and hate changing each individual
>> folder whenever I transfer a mega-folder from my server
>> or CD to my desktop.
>>

>> Thanks...

You can't do what you want, you cannot apply folder views to a tree. If you read what I said I explained how Apply To All works and why following the EXACT instructions of the other answerer may not have any effect. I also told you how to follow his general instructions correctly.