sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Hm. Do you intend to SLI after prices drop for video cards? If so, I'd discourage that. If you're going to SLI, try and do it right away. By the time the prices drop, it'll be better just to have gone with a new single card solution.

Also, do you have a reason for using that G-Skill RAM? You might be able to shave off a few bucks and get a module just as good.

I also second the notions made by modode.

Porkysnail

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
No, I do not intend to SLI

"nless you intend to play games on a very large monitor (24 inches and up) at very high settings and resolutions (1920X1200 and up), SLI does not offer enough improvement in gaming performance to justify the cost in the opinion of most."

My monitor is only 19", and I dont intend to go any bigger.

Thanks for the tips, modode.

And I'm not sure with the ram thing Sanji, it was recommended by a friend of mine.

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
The RAM is a rather minute issue, anyway. The most you'd shave off would be $10.

Are there any particular features in that motherboard that you like? It seems like you're paying for a SLI board and then not using SLI.

Do you intend to overclock this computer or not?

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Hm. There probably is a motherboard that is cheaper that'll satisfy your requirements, but that one is currently the highest rated at Newegg.

Do you need 2 Raptor drives? Just wondering. You might be able to get one Raptor and grab a normal secondary hard drive.

If you're going to SLI, that wish list right now looks very powerful.

modode

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Reportedly, PCIE 2.0 offers no performance boost over the current PCI E standard for any current GPU or for the next generation of GPU (maybe the one after, who knows?).

So, if that's what you're going on, I wouldn't pay a lot more just to get that feature.

I'd shy away from Nvidia chipsets altogether unless you're going to SLI, which you're not. In that price range, consider something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128336

or you'd probably be just as happy with a less expensive board from the list in my link above in my previous post.

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
PCI-E 2.0 does offer a wider bandwidth, but no video card currently uses that much bandwidth to make use of it yet.

A decent future-proofing measure but, like modode said, we probably won't see the standard be reached until the next generation or the generation after that.

I do believe we've breached the 8x PCI-E standard, though, have we not?