Windows xp not recognizing 109 key japanese keyboard

andy6363

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Hello,
I recently formatted my Japanese Sony desktop with an English version of Windows XP Professional SP3. After reformatting, the Japanese layout 109-key keyboard is no longer recognized by the operating system. The operating system thinks that I have a 101-key English keyboard, meaning that the "@"-key types "[" when pressed.

I have tried all sorts of registry fixes and control panel keyboard additions, but nothing seems to be working.

If it is any help, in the Device Manager, the keyboard is recognized as a HID device. I cannot get it to change to a 109-key Japanese keyboard. I try to force the 109-key Japanese keyboard driver, but it fails to show up in the 'Generic' keyboards tab. I have gone to other Japanese operating systems, found the kb109.dll driver, and copied it onto the computer itself, but no avail still.

The keyboard is a Logicool Ultraflat USB Japanese keyboard.

Please help!!!!!!

Unplug the keyboard and put in a generic that can't fail to work with minimal drivers. In Device Manager, uninstall any non-standard keyboards and restart the computer. Shut down and swap keyboards and see if Windows recognises the non-standard Japanese variety.

andy6363

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
You mean, unplug the Japanese keyboard and plug in a generic English keyboard?
I will have to try and scrounge one up then. I have a feeling that the OS will recognize the English keyboard correctly.