Need help finding brand name mobo

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
After having my first mobo die on me, GA-P35-DSL3, and realizing how long the RMA process is, and having to call the company several times to get my RMA started. I am a little doubtfull of gigabyte as my preferred mobo manufacturer.

I'm trying to find a mobo that has these specs for under 100 bucks from a mobo manufactuer with a good customer service.

Dual Channel DDR2 800+, 2+ slots
LGA775
FSB 800+
atleast 1 PCI-E 8x or 16x
Gigabit Lan

Its going to replace a board in a NAS/server running windows 2003 64 bit. Needs to be rock solid and stable.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
You don't need to call GB up for rma. Do it online.

http://rma.gigabyte-usa.com/DirectRMA/EndUser_Main.asp

I've done it twice for 2 boards. One is back in working order. Turnaround is about 4 weeks including 2-way shipping. rma is free, but the board will be the same. You pay only 1 way shipping.

If you don't o/c, you might want Intel boards for stability. Any of the P35 is fine. However, Intel is abandoning floppy & PS/2 keyb/mouse. If you need those, look at ASUS like P5K-E.

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
i had to call them up because it had been almost a week with no RMA number issued after i submitted my request online, ontop of that when i called the first time the RMA website was down, even the guy i spoke with said he couldn't do jack till it got up and running.

Maybe 4 weeks turnaround is standard for RMA, but not when you use your computer for work. What do they expect us to do? Twiddle our thumbs while we wait? I went and bought a P5N-D from ASUS and popped that in my rig because there is no way i could wait 4+ weeks. IMO They should have something like western digital's advanced rma where they send you a replacement and a return label for your busted HDD.

anyways,

the p5k-e is a little over my budget, nice board though.

I'll look into the intel boards, however, i do appreciate overclock features, i like the ability to tune my parts so everything is perfectly in sync for a stability build that is.

Do intel boards have good customer service?