new processor and new errors...lots

jdcountryboy91

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i put my new e6700 in my dell 9200 and now im getting windowes program errors. ones i have never got before. would this be from the new processor?? should I do a clean install of xp??

thanks,
Kristian

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Not enough info.

I suppose you did your research to know if your system will run a 6700, but did you update the bios?

Does windows see both cores?

Have you ever used CPU-Z?

When you say errors, can you be a little more specific?

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Well first you should check to see if there are any compatibility issues on the web. Then you should ensure the bios reflects the parameters of the new cpu. What was the previous cpu? Single or double hal required? If all of this is ok, you should reinstall XP after you reformat the hard drive. This is essential is system stability is to be attained.

jdcountryboy91

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
sorry about my lack of explaining...I upgraded from the e6300 on my dell diminsion 9200. I did a bios update before i did the install. I am running xp pro. windows is recognizing both cores at the clocked 2.66 ghz. I also did not notice that much of a performance increase. i tried running a "heavy" program like pinnacle studio and it didnt load any faster than normal. Should I upgrade from 2 to 4 gb's of RAM to see a performance increase or is it something else??

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Well like I have said many times before, you need to KNOW what your bottleneck is before you start buying parts. Run some sort if memory software even task manager will do and when running pinnacle see if in fact you are using anywhere near 100%. Some programs take forever to load with any cpu, like some RAID controllers. If your experiencing slow performance after loading pinnacle you might have a very slow hard drive that can't keep up with the footage data.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
A simple way of looking at this, is to know if you have enough physical ram. Task manger should be able to indicate that. Just look at it after you load the program, and see if you still have any physical ram.

If you don't then you'll need more ram. Problem is, XP will only recognize 3gb out of the 4. So you would save some money just to buy 1 stick, rather then 2 depending on your setup.

Now the other part is lil tricky to answer. If you have a fragmented HD, it will take longer to load into RAM. Once the program is loaded, then you close it, it should come up twice as fast. For todays system, a HD will be a bottle neck. I think solid state HD would be the only fastest medium you can have for storage. Even a 15K RPM HD would still be a bottle neck.

Still don't understand what kind of errors your getting.

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
No way of knowing unless you test some things, unless someone here runs the same machine and uses pinnacle. Check your cpu and memory loads first via task manager.

jdcountryboy91

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I defragmented the HDD and that helped a lot. heres my hard drive:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=harddiskdrives&subtype=spinpointpseries&model_cd=SP2504C

I looked at the task manager after I loaded the program and it said 1gb. so thats half of my total.

The errors I am getting are related to media it seems like. When i was playing a WMV, windows media player encountered an error and had to close about halfway through playback. My Zune software aso throws up an error at startup saying that the zune network sharing service cannot be initiated. those are the only errors i have encountered.

I am currently backing up all my documents to another computer and after im through with that im going to format the HDD and do a clean install of xp.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hmmm... Sounds like a codec problem for the players. I'm not familiar with Zune.

A fresh install wouldn't hurt, and perhaps fix other things.

GL on that.

TRENDING THREADS