Sign in with
Your question

Stock HSF last pin won't go, period

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2008 5:26:08 PM

Ok, so I have a stock Intel 775 HSF that I had to reapply compound to because it started giving me solid beeps from the mobo when starting up. I have searched through the forums, but I couldn't find anything with the information that I needed. Simply put, the last pin just will NOT go in. I have the mobo totally out of the case, on my lap, and I am using BOTH hands just trying to push the pin through. I am a big, strong, guy, but ALL the pressure I can apply simply isn't enough. I have tried needle nose pliers to squeeze the nose of the pins to go through, it's not working and there is simply no way to get the last pin to go through. I think, honestly, it doesn't fit.

Has anyone had anything similar to this, and if so, how did you overcome it apart from getting a screw mounted HSF aftermarket. I will go down that path, but only as a last resort as I don't wanna live without my computer for the time it's gonna take for me to get the money plus the time it will take to come in the mail.

I am completely out of options. The boards appears as it's starting to warp from all my attempts to get this one pin in. It won't even clear the housing, it just rests on top of the holes.

Seriously stuck. Thanks ahead of time.

More about : stock hsf pin period

July 19, 2008 5:31:47 PM

Sounds like you've already forced it way past the motherboard's capacity to accept force. What motherboard is it?
July 19, 2008 5:32:24 PM

There's always that one pin. Make sure you turn the opposite of the arrow pointing and pull up. That resets them. You only turn them when you want to take it off, or unlock it.

I remember redoing my dad's HS awhile back. I remember the pin I had problems with (nearest to the north bridge HS). So what did I do? I pushed that one in first (the one that gave me problems), keeping the HS centered/leveled and the rest went into place.

I still hate the push pins though..
Related resources
July 19, 2008 5:37:07 PM

Grimmy said:
There's always that one pin. Make sure you turn the opposite of the arrow pointing and pull up. That resets them. You only turn them when you want to take it off, or unlock it.

I remember redoing my dad's HS awhile back. I remember the pin I had problems with (nearest to the north bridge HS). So what did I do? I pushed that one in first (the one that gave me problems), keeping the HS centered/leveled and the rest went into place.

I still hate the push pins though..

the push pins are simply ridiculous...

They are sooo annoying to put in, I just push and push, then finally eventually it goes in, but man it does suck...
July 19, 2008 5:41:55 PM

It's an MSI P6N Platinum SLI board.

The pins are all in the "out" position per most of the install guides I have read.
July 19, 2008 5:43:34 PM

Have you checked that the base of the HSF is clearing those big copper chipset rads?
July 19, 2008 5:43:43 PM

Grimmy, thanks for that tip, I will retry resetting the pins, pulling them out, then trying the "problem child" first to get it in, then proceed with the better children.

Stupid kids. ><
July 19, 2008 5:44:57 PM

Grimmy's advice is pretty much on target. You may want to start with the "misbehavin'" pin first. Also, I always try to push two pins in at once, at diagonal corners - that way the angle of insertion is more likely to stay aligned to the vertical for both.

I have installed several of the E6XXX processors using the stock HSF and discovered a “trick” with regard to mounting. The top posts of the pushpins have a rather unusual shape consisting of two straight edges forming an “L” shape with a “circular” edge connecting the ends of the “L”. From my experience, if the bottom edge of the “L” is lined up with or parallel to the circumference of the heat sink, the pins “pop in” easier, provided the black inner-post is extended before insertion.
July 19, 2008 5:45:19 PM

The HSF is not encountering any resistance from any outlying components of the motherboard. The only resistance is the pin actually going through the hole. There is plenty of leeway for the pin to go in, just no circumferance space for the pin to go through the hole.
July 19, 2008 5:46:57 PM

K, I gotta go watch the darknight. I will get back to you guys with the results of the problem pin first. Thank you all so very very much for your insight.
July 19, 2008 5:48:56 PM

OK, but when you come back from Gotham, check to see if the diameter of the problem hole (if it is just one of the four holes) is any different than the other three.
July 19, 2008 5:50:39 PM

Incubus2112 said:
It won't even clear the housing, it just rests on top of the holes.

All I can say is the white part needs to go through the holes first. When you push down, the black part keeps the white part from coming back out.

775 socket install

Is the only thing I can offer to help.

Edit:

Whoa.. lot more replies.
July 19, 2008 5:50:43 PM

ARRRRR...ya weak thumbed bastages :p  Eats yer spinach ! I never understood why not threaded nuts epoxied to the backplate or molded in, those pushpins I know are cheap, but I'd pay the extra buck for threads !
July 19, 2008 6:00:08 PM

royalcrown said:
ARRRRR...ya weak thumbed bastages :p  Eats yer spinach !

I'm sure a nice 8 pound sledgehammer would get those pins through! :lol: 
July 19, 2008 6:02:38 PM

royalcrown said:
ARRRRR...ya weak thumbed bastages :p  Eats yer spinach ! I never understood why not threaded nuts epoxied to the backplate or molded in, those pushpins I know are cheap, but I'd pay the extra buck for threads !

that's the thing I would too...
July 19, 2008 6:12:45 PM

antonmadcow said:
I'm sure a nice 8 pound sledgehammer would get those pins through! :lol: 

nah, a ball peen while uttering the phrase, "jesus moth** f**ing christ" ans swinging, thus causing a beam of the lords holy light to hit the back of the hammer and drive it through the motherboard, desk, floor, and finally to the center of the earth...where it would smite a lesser demon or possiby OLD SCRATCH himself.
July 19, 2008 6:20:04 PM

^I hope Incubus2112 posts a video of himself doing that! :) 
July 19, 2008 6:52:14 PM

i remember when i was assembling my pc my main problem was the push pin
i was scared because i used brute force
July 19, 2008 6:56:01 PM

Ive had the issue one time. I had to pull the black part up as high as it would go and get the white part through the whole first. It seems without pulling the black further awat it set to far in the white and wouldn't go in. One i got the white through it snapped right in.
July 19, 2008 7:08:14 PM

You know.. thats what I worry about. Through the years of plastic parts on a MB that goes through heat and cold, and when you need to take something off, the plastic just breaks from being brittle.

Just makes me wonder if I'll ever walk in my dad's PC room to see the HS falling off, or on the video card. :lol: 
a c 344 à CPUs
July 19, 2008 7:15:18 PM

Before you try to mount the heat sink, play with the push pins to see how they work. Rotate right and see what happens, then rotate left(for removal) to see what happens. Push them down to see how they lock, and pull them up to see how they unlock.

Once you understand how they work, push diagonal pairs in simultaneously

Be careful that the pins do not splay open which will happen if you do not start them squarely in the holes.
July 19, 2008 7:55:15 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Ive had the issue one time. I had to pull the black part up as high as it would go and get the white part through the whole first. It seems without pulling the black further awat it set to far in the white and wouldn't go in. One i got the white through it snapped right in.

Sounds like a video I saw last week on youp**n.com! :pt1cable: 
July 19, 2008 8:35:28 PM

i have to agree with geofelt... it helped me alot, and i kno that my artic freezer pro had a the pin problem, the white was split to far apart from pushing down too hard... i took pliers and squeezed them back together gently so they would clip in instead of spreading when i pushed down..if you do that, just make sure you dont squeeze too hard...if you do, you might flatten it, and ruin the pin
July 20, 2008 1:24:43 AM

Ok, back from Gotham. Thanks to everyone else weighing in on this. Yes, one of the pins is not like the other. The clips appear to be "splayed" apart farther than the others. I will mess with it to see if I can reduce the distance between the two and check to see how I can get these to work.

Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to re-apply my thermal paste again because the HS has been off of the chip quite a few times, so I am thinking that the diconnection/connection may be bubbilizing my paste a bit. So, I am gonna completely take it off, check out how the screws work, see if I can get the "problem" pin to get narrower, clean the chip/HS plate, then retry.

Thanks so much for your guys' help again. Mucho appreciado!!
a c 344 à CPUs
July 20, 2008 3:13:00 AM

Every time you remove the heat sink, you should clean it and reapply the paste. With heat and pressure, paste flows evenly and cures. If you reuse it, there will be unevenness and possibly air gaps, which is not good.
July 20, 2008 1:17:05 PM

Yeah, Geofelt, this is exactly what happened over a period of time with this heatsink. The paste had dried, gummed, and was partially covering the sink and the chip (less than %50 coverage on both). I am amazed it lasted as long as it did and just as amazed that putting a new stick of ram in it was what set it off.

I was pretty idiotic concerning the way the pins worked. I had the final pin with the small plastic rod going in between the "claws" of the pin thereby spreading it out and trying to shove it through that way. DOY!

I finally got it in. The mobo overheating problem is fixed. Thanks again everyone for your help!
!