Q6600 Running at 78℃ During Idle, NOT OC'd

johnjm22

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Today I checked my CPU temp in the BIOS for the 1st time, and I couldn't believe what I saw: 78℃ at Idle. The MOBO temp is 47℃. The CPU is running at about 2800 RPM, and is at the stock clock speed of 2.4Ghz.

I checked all my fans, and they're all working.

What could be causing this? I'm not really sure what to do. I didn't use any thermal grease when I installed the processor, could this be the problem?

I ran ASUS's "Probe" utility and it says the CPU temp is 48℃, and the MOBO temp is 47℃ at idle, with the CPU RPM being 2800. I wonder why the discrepancy between the BIOS hardware monitor, and the ASUS utility...Which is more accurate? 48℃ still seems way too high considering the CPU is not OC'd and it's at idle.

I never really thought my system performed as well as it should, maybe this is why...

My system
:
Windows XP Home
Q6600 @ 2.4 GHZ
4 GB Corsair XMS DDR2 800
P5B MOBO
Antec Take5 Rackmount Case

Download Core Temp and see what it says. Having had asus boards in the past, I'll tell you I never use ASUS Probe. It's a horrible piece of software (IMO). Always had stability and updating problems with Asus' motherboard software.

Typically I'd say your BIOS readings should be accurate, but I suppose there could be a BIOS issue where it reads wrong. Try Core Temp and see what it says. You can also try HWMonitor from the folks who make CPU-Z.

Core Temp 0.99.1
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

HWMonitor
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

If your temperature truly is at 78C then you have a serious problem, as this is ABOVE Intel's maximum temp for this CPU. You'll want to get into your computer and make sure the heatsink/fan on the CPU it mounted properly, and that your case has adequate ventilation/airflow (fans).

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
You quessed it yourself. You need thermal paste one way or the other. If you bought a retail CPU it had some preinstalled on the heatsink. If you bought OEM, you need to apply your own thermal paste. Also make sure the heats sink isn't loose at all.

Oh wow I totally missed that part my first read through. Yes, that is likely your problem. Shut down your system as soon as possible. Take your heatsink/fan off and get some thermal grease on there. As someone else noted, if your purchased your CPU OEM (doesn't come with its own fan that way) it won't have any thermal compound. Lucky you haven't fried your CPU yet if this is the case.

johnjm22

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I bought the processor retail, so it had thermal grease pre-installed.

I think I may have resolved this issue however. I went and bought an Artic CPU fan w/ Heatsink and installed it. My idle CPU temp dropped all the way down to 30℃!!

This makes me think the stock heatsink/fan was defective in someway.

The only problem I'm having now is that the MB temp is still 47℃, is that too hot?