Your question

Phenom 9850 temps

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2008 8:49:38 PM

Hello, I recently checked the temps on my CPU and was wondering if they are normal. The screenshot was taken a few minutes after running the PC Wizard stability test with 100 percent CPU usage for 10 minutes.

I currently have one 80mm case fan, but could it run any cooler with maybe an extra 120mm? Thank you.

P.S. I wonder how accurate this program is, because the bios says the CPU is at 50 degrees celsius when idling.

More about : phenom 9850 temps

July 20, 2008 12:23:21 AM

If it's with the stock HSF I wouldn't be surprised. Get yourself a couple quiet 120mm case fans for good airflow. And pic up a decent aftermarket CPU hsf, that should help you a lot.
July 20, 2008 12:25:48 AM

Mathos said:
If it's with the stock HSF I wouldn't be surprised. Get yourself a couple quiet 120mm case fans for good airflow. And pic up a decent aftermarket CPU hsf, that should help you a lot.

If you don't mind my asking, what does your 9850 run at?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2008 2:10:17 AM

I will add that I used this aftermarket fan and heatsink rather than using the stock one although decent supplied with the CPU.
This is the one that I chose for my motherboard and CPU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
it uses a 4 pin connector

But this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
uses a 3 pin connector.

I used Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound too.

On stock settings 2.5 Ghz under full CPU load the maximum temperatures that I reached were 43 degrees celsius.My system has 2 120mm fans (one on the side and one of course on the rear of the case).

Most of the individuals with the same aftermarket CPU heatsink and fan as me with the same 9850 BE CPU get 47 degrees celsius at stock speeds under full load.

This heatsink/fan combo was a little difficult with installation and it is quite big and heavy.However it works well.
July 20, 2008 5:08:44 AM

This is Idle temp, as you can tell, ambient is around 80f in my apartment. So pretty close to what the Ambient mobo temp is reading.

And this is full load temp, running large FFT's on Prime95, as soon as stress test stops, cpu temp drops almost immediately back to below 37c. This is with the this cooler. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887011 and some Arctic cooling MX-2 paste.

Again this is all at stock settings.

And since I was just on the egg to get that link for the cooler, I also noticed a new ZeroTherm 120 cooler. Looks like they adapted the Nirvana NV120's base frame and design to allow it to use an aftermarket fan. Going by my experience with the Nirvana I may be tempted to pic one of those up with one of those quiet s-flex or noctua fans. Now I wanna see a review to see how it performs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887016 In fact if my eyes are working correctly it looks like it has the ability to mount two 120mm fans, one on each side. At least it looks like it has holes on it to be able to hook the fan mounting wires to.

One of the main reasons I like Zerotherm is the fact you can aim the hsf whatever direction you want with their mounting system.
a c 124 à CPUs
July 20, 2008 12:25:18 PM

I've got a 9600BE (batch CAAWB AA 0749 MPMW) at 2.7GHz with max load temps 43c at 1.28v and stock HSF (with AS5). 2x120mm and 2x80mm (and an OCZ power supply with a 120mm downfacing fan).

I used a 5.25" to 3.5" bay converter to move my hard drives (it has a 120mm fan). I have an 80mm fan in the front and back and the other 120mm fan is on the side.

Except for my PCIe power cable all my lines are neatly routed to allow max air flow. (Why OCZ didn't make the video card cables a touch longer I'll never know :(  ) I use a round IDE cable and 12 Inch SATAs which I gently curve out of the way.

September 11, 2008 1:58:58 PM

I got the same processor and temps in the same general range, so you are ok. Remember, this is a 125 watt processor=alot of heat. The stock processor was very loud so I got an OCZ Vendetta for $30 at Microcenter. Barely fits my MicroATX case and runs 41-43 idle and 45-47 under load (with Arctic Silver V), which is 3-4 degrees better than stock cooler, and the OCZ is SILENT, whereas the stock is LOAD. Overall, very happy.
September 11, 2008 2:21:59 PM

torsion said:
If you don't mind my asking, what does your 9850 run at?

Usually betwen 33 to 42C. But I use water cooling. :D 

With stock cooling, this is typical result. I ran with stock HSF and get similar result before the radiator arrives. Your temperature is on the high side, but if you run everything at stock, then it will be fine. If you plan to do some overclocking, then you probably need a new case and 120mm HSF.
January 2, 2009 12:14:12 PM

Mathos said:
This is Idle temp, as you can tell, ambient is around 80f in my apartment. So pretty close to what the Ambient mobo temp is reading.
And this is full load temp, running large FFT's on Prime95, as soon as stress test stops, cpu temp drops almost immediately back to below 37c. This is with the this cooler. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887011 and some Arctic cooling MX-2 paste.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g208/Mathos/FullLoadTemp.jpg

Again this is all at stock settings.

I know this is a post to an old forum post...but...

WOW! My 9850BE runs about 40-42c idle/59-61c full, and the ambient temp in my house is about 74F. I use the same ZeroTherm HSF you do.

You think the Arctic Cooling MX-2 is much better than Arctic Silver 5 (which is what I've used before on a AMD64x2 5600+ install and it never gets over 50C full).

I think I must have put too much paste on. if you do, does that run up your temps?

If so, I'll re-paste my HSF and CPU Saturday and see if in a week the idle/full temps come down.

I'm afraid to OC the thing when 60C+@full is on stock settings.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

jck
January 2, 2009 12:59:44 PM

I also run a custom water cooling set up from the den, and I am 32C-37C at all times, I have lapped the 9850 however and the swiftech water block for the cpu. I am at 3.2ghz vcore@ 1.38volts stable :sol: 
January 2, 2009 1:10:37 PM

medjohnson77 said:
I also run a custom water cooling set up from the den, and I am 32C-37C at all times, I have lapped the 9850 however and the swiftech water block for the cpu. I am at 3.2ghz vcore@ 1.38volts stable :sol: 

Wow. I have to re-paste my ZeroTherm onto the 9850BE then this weekend. i might have overkilled the thermal paste when I put it together.

I kinda thought ~40C was too hot for an idle temp on that, and ~60C is way too hot for full load even.

when I build my next PC, i am going watercooled tho. i want something that will blow my mind when it comes to performance. :D 
January 2, 2009 1:16:40 PM

When I ran a custom Rosewill 92mm fan on the 9850be it did a good job of cooling, but just not good enough for me with the overclock, I think I had it Overclocked to 2.9 ghz and it was not lapped at that point, just broke down my water system and changed a few things a couple of days ago so I lapped the cpu and water block when I had it tore down, but it was running on air as high as 58C which I didn't think was a good Idea, I think it Idled in the 42C range. Water cooling is really nice and it is not that hard to do. I have $350 into mine, I went to the egg for some parts, and Danger Den for others... I would recomend setting up your own, and not buying a kit. Since I lapped it I have not noticed better temps on Idle, just better temps when I am maxing out the cpu, temps stay right at 40C, they used to hit as high as 44C with out the lap. Good luck jcknouse
January 2, 2009 2:13:15 PM

I'll try and post some screenies of my temps when I get home later on... but right now I'm running 29C Idle and low 50C's at full 4 core load on my Phenom 9850@3.4Ghz with a Thermalright IFX-14 Cooler and an Antec Twelve Hundred Case. At stock speeds it runs around 25C Idle and high 30C's at full 4 core load.

It was actually running cooler in a smaller Silverstone Kublai case I had. There wasn't a lot of space in the case, but a ton of fans which expelled what little air that was in the case fairly rapidly.
January 4, 2009 3:47:13 PM

Yeah, my other machine that I have a AMD64X2 5600+ in with 8GB of ram has a Arctic Freezer Pro64 on it, and Arctic Silver 5 paste, and I OCed it and never ran above 50C. I got the ZeroTherm Nirvana cause of the larger fan and reviews i read.

I did the re-paste job, and initially it looks like it did some good. I was running about 38C earlier idle at stock after I'd run it for about an hour, and OCed at 2.66GHz it's running at 45C idle.

I think the biggest problem is the case. only 1 120mm stock fan in the back expelling (which probably isn't a good CFM fan...might replace it with something better) and an 80mm on the side bringing in cool air on the CPU cooler. I might get a new case and transplant the guts and see if i can bring the temp down 3-5C with more fans so that I can move the OC up to 2.8GHz, but I don't wanna push it much more than that.

Thanks for the support and advice :) 
March 3, 2009 1:57:14 PM

Malovane said:
I'll try and post some screenies of my temps when I get home later on... but right now I'm running 29C Idle and low 50C's at full 4 core load on my Phenom 9850@3.4Ghz with a Thermalright IFX-14 Cooler and an Antec Twelve Hundred Case. At stock speeds it runs around 25C Idle and high 30C's at full 4 core load.

It was actually running cooler in a smaller Silverstone Kublai case I had. There wasn't a lot of space in the case, but a ton of fans which expelled what little air that was in the case fairly rapidly.

Hope you check back on your post here. I have my 9850@3.2gh on water with idle temps @ 47c load 55c, vcore 1.3+.175 on gigabyte 750a. HOW did you get it to 3.4gh and what vcore are you pushing through it.
March 3, 2009 3:08:13 PM

I don't know what I did wrong with my Phenom 9850 and my AS5 and my Nirvana NV120...

But, the same thermal paste and HSF on my new Phenom II X3 720BE-4Core is running 22C idle/38-40C full load @3.34GHz OC

It might have been the 2nd Video card was too close to the HSF on my old board...or that all the heat piping around it for the NB/SB cooling was putting off a lot of heat.

Nonetheless, the system runs better than ever now...14000 Benchmarking in 3dMark06 trial version.
!