Sign in with
Your question

installing 4850 corss fire on a new computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
June 24, 2008 10:07:47 PM

Hello all

I will install a cross fire (which is totaly new for me) of 4850 on my newly build computer, however my knowledge is very like on this.

Information on the product i will have
Mother board Gigabyte EX38 DS4
4850 ati x2
os windows vista 64 (not sure if needed to precise)

So should i install the 2 card righ from the beginning with the bridge linking them or should i install one card and when it is installed i plug the second and make the bridge.
It looks like a noob question (and it is indeed) but i do prefer to start it the right ay than starting doing mistake as then i will work on something 'not clean"

Thanks in advance for your help on this

June 24, 2008 10:16:26 PM

I'm going on a gut feeling here...
I think it might be a good idea to only use one card at the start, just to get windows up and running without any unnecessary complications. And then when you got everything else working properly, plug in the second card and install the drivers.

I have no personal experience on xfire, but that is pretty much the way I would do it... lol
June 24, 2008 10:20:52 PM

just install both from the beginning....you'll be fine. crossfire will not enable or anything untill you install the drivers. just dont forget to plug in the crossfire jumpers.
Related resources
June 24, 2008 10:21:49 PM

put in two card at once should be fine because you can connect the monitor to any connection at the back. and once you installed the driver it will automatically recognise your cross fire setup then reboot.
June 24, 2008 10:28:37 PM

A little off topic here, but should i used both xfire bridge connectors? I have tried it both ways and not noticed any difference, I have 2 3870s (see sig). I have done quite a bit of searching on the internet for pictures, and i seemed to come up with about 50/50 of the people using both or only one.
June 25, 2008 12:28:52 AM

neodawg said:
A little off topic here, but should i used both xfire bridge connectors? I have tried it both ways and not noticed any difference, I have 2 3870s (see sig). I have done quite a bit of searching on the internet for pictures, and i seemed to come up with about 50/50 of the people using both or only one.

You probably won't notice much of a difference either way, but the two bridges will give the cards a little more bandwidth to work with. If you can, just use both.
June 25, 2008 2:00:00 AM

yea its a small amount....i got 2 points better on a 3dmark06 test.... :lol: 
June 25, 2008 2:13:58 AM

or it could be your luck gave you that 2 point!lol
!