Windows won't read dvd

I have a windows 7 dvd and I'm trying to install it. But my dvd player won't read the disk. I've installed a dvd decoder but still no dice. I have to get windows installed but it seems it won't read a dvd it didn't create. I have a dvd I burned from a cd and it will read that but it won't read anything else. Do I need some sort of software for this? I don't do dvds so I have no idea.
7 answers Last reply
More about windows read
  1. It would seem your drive is either incompatible with windows 7 or the spin speed is too slow ie 2x run a compatibility test from the microsoft website to check all your hardware. It is only a small download.
  2. mibix19 said:
    It would seem your drive is either incompatible with windows 7 or the spin speed is too slow ie 2x run a compatibility test from the microsoft website to check all your hardware. It is only a small download.

This drive isn't that old. I already did a windows 7 check and everything checks out other than a few programs. I'm attempting to copy the dvd from another computer and then burn it to a blank disc using this one. If it works then this one will read the disk it burns. I have 2 identical gateway computers that have had problems reading dvd since I bought them. I gutted this one and installed a new MB, processor and hardware but I kept this dvd hoping that my new setup would solve it's issues but it would seem not. I'll be buying another dvd burner soon.
  3. Some DVD drives read discs better than others. If the disc is scratched or smudged, use a few drops of water and a soft cloth to clean the disc.

If the drive isn't reading any DVDs, then the laser is likely damaged.
  4. aford10 said:
    Some DVD drives read discs better than others. If the disc is scratched or smudged, use a few drops of water and a soft cloth to clean the disc.

If the drive isn't reading any DVDs, then the laser is likely damaged.

I loaded a third party dvd burner. This would appear to have fixed things as far as burning a dvd goes. I'm hoping that the copy I creat is readable. I also think I'll use this saam program and see if it will read the original disc. Cross your fingers.
  5. aford10 said:

No help. I think this drive is just a POS. I copied the files using my laptop and then sent them to my desktop over my network. I then burned them to DVD using this POS drive and after that it read the disk and installed windows. I'll be looking for a new drive. Thanks for the help.
  6. Thanks for the update.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD DVD Players Windows 7 Windows XP