Sign in with
Your question

Windows won't read dvd

Last response: in Windows XP
October 7, 2010 10:22:44 PM

I have a windows 7 dvd and I'm trying to install it. But my dvd player won't read the disk. I've installed a dvd decoder but still no dice. I have to get windows installed but it seems it won't read a dvd it didn't create. I have a dvd I burned from a cd and it will read that but it won't read anything else. Do I need some sort of software for this? I don't do dvds so I have no idea.

More about : windows read dvd

a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2010 11:13:01 PM

It would seem your drive is either incompatible with windows 7 or the spin speed is too slow ie 2x run a compatibility test from the microsoft website to check all your hardware. It is only a small download.
m
l
October 8, 2010 1:01:41 AM

mibix19 said:
It would seem your drive is either incompatible with windows 7 or the spin speed is too slow ie 2x run a compatibility test from the microsoft website to check all your hardware. It is only a small download.

This drive isn't that old. I already did a windows 7 check and everything checks out other than a few programs. I'm attempting to copy the dvd from another computer and then burn it to a blank disc using this one. If it works then this one will read the disk it burns. I have 2 identical gateway computers that have had problems reading dvd since I bought them. I gutted this one and installed a new MB, processor and hardware but I kept this dvd hoping that my new setup would solve it's issues but it would seem not. I'll be buying another dvd burner soon.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2010 1:23:47 AM

Some DVD drives read discs better than others. If the disc is scratched or smudged, use a few drops of water and a soft cloth to clean the disc.

If the drive isn't reading any DVDs, then the laser is likely damaged.
m
l
October 8, 2010 1:50:07 AM

aford10 said:
Some DVD drives read discs better than others. If the disc is scratched or smudged, use a few drops of water and a soft cloth to clean the disc.

If the drive isn't reading any DVDs, then the laser is likely damaged.

I loaded a third party dvd burner. This would appear to have fixed things as far as burning a dvd goes. I'm hoping that the copy I creat is readable. I also think I'll use this saam program and see if it will read the original disc. Cross your fingers.
m
l
October 10, 2010 11:55:26 PM

aford10 said:
Try running this Fixit scan.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

No help. I think this drive is just a POS. I copied the files using my laptop and then sent them to my desktop over my network. I then burned them to DVD using this POS drive and after that it read the disk and installed windows. I'll be looking for a new drive. Thanks for the help.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 11, 2010 3:46:33 AM

Thanks for the update.
m
l
!