Sign in with
Your question

Overheating problems

Last response: in CPUs
July 20, 2008 3:20:07 AM

This is my first build, and it isn't going to well. When I power on my computer, maybe half an hour later, it shuts off by itself. I realized it was overheating, so I left one side of my case open. Since now it's summer, even that won't help it from shutting off by itself. The only way I can prevent it from not shutting down is by using a window fan to blow into my open case. Besides that, I've added a hard drive fan, but still doesn't keep it from shutting off. My CPU (Q6600) temperature reads in the mid-50s when idle with the stock cooler, so yeah that's another problem, but i doubt that powers off my computer. I'm using a Raidmax Smilodon case and I've heard it was bad airflow. I have 4 case fans now (3 that came with the case and 1 hard drive fan I bought), and still doesn't prevent it from shutting off. Is there a way of fixing this overheating problem, that I don't have to leave my case open and use a window fan to blow air into the case?

EDIT: I finally got the Zalman 9700 on my Smilodon case (had to install it from the side of the case on the ground). My CPU temperature didn't drop as much as I expected it to be (it's around 40). Here are the current temperature I have (using Everest):

Motherboard: 22
CPU: 41
Core 1: 46
Core 2: 47
Core 3: 40
Core 4: 44
GPU: 54
GPU Ambient: 45
GPU Memory: 46

CPU voltage: 1.1

Now I just hope that my computer doesn't shut off by itself again.

More about : overheating problems

July 20, 2008 3:28:15 AM

50's while idling is horrendus, (spell check). Are you using the stock cooler bud?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2008 3:28:25 AM

re seat the heat sink... if its on in the wrong direction it might do that... it did that for me... turned sink 90 degrees and WALAH it worked
Related resources
a c 309 à CPUs
July 20, 2008 3:44:04 AM

It is likely that your heat sink is not on properly. The pushpin mount can be tricky.
With power disconnected, wiggle the heat sink. If it is not on solidly, then re-mount it.

Mount it outside of the case, so you can look at the back of the mobo to be certain that all 4 pins are solidly through and locked. Clean off the old paste and apply new material.
July 20, 2008 3:53:04 AM

Is a new CPU cooler necessary? I know my temps are high, but would temps in the 50s really cause my computer to shut off by itself? I would get a new CPU, but all the decent ones don't seem to fit inside my case, I mean I had to rearrange my PSU wires a lot to fit even my stock cooler.
July 20, 2008 3:55:46 AM

Idling in the 50's wont shut off the cpu, but under load could get up to 80's, i idle in the low 30's and load around 60... so its possible.
July 20, 2008 4:09:36 AM

I actually do have a Zalman 9700 LED cooler, but it's just too big. I thought mounting it was hard enough, but when I actually get it to fit into my case, the wires of my PSU keep touching it. Some of the find on the cooler bent because of that. If I really tried, I could maybe get to fit in the case with all the wires, but I'm not really convinced that it's my CPU that's shutting off my computer, so I might just return it to Newegg. Right now I'm leaving one side of my case open, and it seems to work, but I know I need a better solution.
July 20, 2008 4:19:07 AM

I don't think there's any way that 6600 should be idling at 50+ even with the stock cooler. If it is, than it's going to be hitting some shutdown temps for sure under load. I agree with geofelt...there's a good chance the pushpins aren't in all the way. Hate those damned things. Give me old fashioned screws, duct tape, and hammers and stuff...:-)

The Canuck
July 20, 2008 1:09:09 PM

Yeah, I realized not there was 1 push pin that wasn't all the way in, but it wouldn't budge in. I just installed the Zalman 9700 cooler, and my temps still seem a bit high, around the low 40s idle. I've tried to tighten the screws as much as possible.

Here are current temps I'm reading from Everest:

Motherboard: 22
CPU: 41
Core 1: 46
Core 2: 47
Core 3: 40
Core 4: 44
GPU: 54
GPU Ambient: 45
GPU Memory: 46

CPU voltage: 1.1

Now I just hope that my computer doesn't shut off by itself again.
July 20, 2008 3:30:13 PM

Well, i live in dallas texas, gets around 105 on a regular basis and have the side of my case off as well.
I idle at 32c in the summer months... which is like now lol. And under load mid 50's sometimes it hits 60. Reseating the heatsink should work or switching... always.. always use new thermal paste though. That could be a problem as well...
July 20, 2008 3:45:23 PM

Heh... I just got my system OC to its max (3375mhz, on NV 650i), with a Q6600.

My vcore is 1.376 idle, on load 1.448.

Ambient temps yesterday in my room, 84F.

Under load:

Tcase - 64C max

Right now my Ambient temps are same 82F atm and my idle temp is 33C.

So something is up with airflow/HS.
a c 309 à CPUs
July 20, 2008 8:31:45 PM

When the CPU gets too hot, it will slow down, and eventually shut itself off to protect itself. 40c. at idle may not be too bad for a Q6600, they run hotter. Run Prime95 for a bit and see how hot it gets under load. If it does not slow/shut down, you are good to go.
July 21, 2008 10:17:53 PM

I'm running 32-34 idle on my Q6600. That's with a lapped, Noctua (NH-12U??) and two 120mm fans in a push/pull configuration.
I might be tempted to lap the base of that cooler, and make sure you have enough Thermal Interface Material. Probably better to have just a bit too much than not enough.
July 21, 2008 11:39:46 PM

This sounds like too much thermal paste....or none at all. How much do you have on there?
!