Sign in with
Your question

Intel vs. Nvidia chipset compatibility

Last response: in Systems
June 5, 2008 4:57:02 PM

I am gathering information on the components for a new system. I will be using it for gaming and for multitasking work applications.

I will probably use an Intel 6600 CPU. I prefer to use ASUS motherboard and the ASUS EN8800GTS 512MB graphics card.

Is there any reason to use an Intel vs. an Nvidia based motherboard? I realize that that the Intel supports Crossfire and the Nvidia supports SLI but are there other considerations?
June 5, 2008 6:54:25 PM

Intel chipset based motherboards are much more reliable and have fewer problems then the current crop of nVidia chipset motherboards. Unless you want to SLI (have a 24" monitor or play at resolutions above 1920x1200) there is no reason to buy a nVidia based board.

Look at the P5E x38 based board- Crossfire support if you want it (but same rules apply as SLI) FSB1600 support (for o/c), PCI-E 2.0 support (future).
June 5, 2008 7:12:21 PM

Also overclocking (if u do it)

The intel chipsets tend to overclock better and more stable than the nvidia chipsets
Related resources
June 7, 2008 1:47:11 AM

So you are saying the the Intel MB would be a better choice for a single GPU but if I plan to upgrade to 2 GPU's in the future, I need to buy a Nvidia MB and a Nvidia GPU or Intel MB and ATI GPU now.
June 7, 2008 1:48:50 AM

yes

The Intels = more stable and better OCing

but for dual u need Nvidia GPU and mobo or an ATI card and a X38/48 board
June 8, 2008 5:22:30 AM

Thats correct sir.
!