Intel vs. Nvidia chipset compatibility

richj

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
I am gathering information on the components for a new system. I will be using it for gaming and for multitasking work applications.

I will probably use an Intel 6600 CPU. I prefer to use ASUS motherboard and the ASUS EN8800GTS 512MB graphics card.

Is there any reason to use an Intel vs. an Nvidia based motherboard? I realize that that the Intel supports Crossfire and the Nvidia supports SLI but are there other considerations?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Intel chipset based motherboards are much more reliable and have fewer problems then the current crop of nVidia chipset motherboards. Unless you want to SLI (have a 24" monitor or play at resolutions above 1920x1200) there is no reason to buy a nVidia based board.

Look at the P5E x38 based board- Crossfire support if you want it (but same rules apply as SLI) FSB1600 support (for o/c), PCI-E 2.0 support (future).

richj

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
So you are saying the the Intel MB would be a better choice for a single GPU but if I plan to upgrade to 2 GPU's in the future, I need to buy a Nvidia MB and a Nvidia GPU or Intel MB and ATI GPU now.