hello

here is my problem

I have a Caviar green 500 gig disk
3 partitons W7, Win XP and storage

when I turned on the PC I got this
dsc00184166.jpg

dsc00184166.jpg

after this it hangs and nothinig happens, I even couldnt cancel this check

so I went and bought Caviar blue, set up new OS, when I pluged in the old one I got the same error check, but this time I managed to cancel it and loaded the Win OS

So I coppied all the data with out any problem since the Win XP partition was more of a back up in case W7 would fail.

then I checked my old disk with HD tune
hdtune_error_scan_wdc_wd5000aads-00l4b1134.png

hdtune_health_wdc_wd5000aads-00l4b1887.png

so what now, is the old one for the bin or what? will a formating the disk solve this problem?

any other tools that I can use to check it.

thnx

foxy_roxy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Forgot to mention in the earlier post, also other tools are available for download on their website http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/ .

IMHO Try MHDD and Victoria from the above site, they should shed more light on the situation.

Reformatting the disk (don’t do a quick format) may mark the sectors as bad so that the operating system will ignore them and thus the disk will appear ok. Modern hard disks have reserve sectors to replace any bad sectors found by the hard disk controller in this case it appears as if there are no good spare sectors left. The first thing I would try would be to run the manufactures disk utilities available from there web site, this may correct all of the errors on the disk, however in my experience of disks behaving like this is that their lives are very limited.