[Graphics Cards] Upgrade?

Slipils

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Hey everyone, I am going to be building a new computer in the next year from the ground up, but for now I am thinking of upgrading the video card in my current PC because my card is old and the price of 8800 GTS's and 9800's etc are getting low.

My current PC setup is

Intel Pentium D 830 / 3 GHz
3G DDR2 SDRAM
Serial ATA 250 GB HD
EVGA GeForce 7600GTS
Windows XP
Intel 945G Express mobo

Im thinking of upgrading to a 8800 GTS or 9800. If this isn't a good idea or will bottleneck etc due to my processor etc, let me know, also keep in mind I am building a new PC within a year anyway, so if the upgrade will only be marginal than let me know. Thanks for ANY input you guys have.

mrmez

Splendid
If u will be building a new sys next year, id get the cheaper (and almost as good) 8800GT.

When u build ur new sys u have the option of going 8800GT sli, which is an awesome setup, or ditching it for something new.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
PCI-e 2.0 cards will work in the 1.0 slot - it might hold it back a little but you're better off in the longrun because you can use the card in your next PC if you want to.

watts aren't as important when you're considering video cards as is the amperage. In the case of video cards they run off of a 12volt sort of "cable" (they are typically called rails) - you have to refer to the video card manufacturer or AMD(ATI) to determine how much amperage the video card requires and what kind of power supply they recommend.

Now, I figure that the minimum you are probably looking at is a 500 watt power supply with at least 1 pci-e 6 pin connector and 25-30amps on the 12 volt rail. But that is just a pure guess, literally. You will just have to check your PSU, the video card, etc. This is all good stuff to learn when you're getting more into building PCs =x