Sign in with
Your question

ATI 4850 Black screen after I change resolution

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2008 3:21:42 AM

I have the newest "hot fix" drivers from ATI and this happens if a program changes the resolution or if I change it. The monitor simply does not get a signal until I reboot. Any ideas?
June 25, 2008 3:58:45 AM

What kind of monitor do you have? I have a sceptre monitor and when i had my x800gt in it it would not receive a signal form the video card after going to sleep and back on. After replacing it with an nividia or using the onboard video only did it work.
June 25, 2008 4:01:31 AM

The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW. If I turn off the monitor and turn it back on, nothing happens.
Related resources
June 25, 2008 4:37:48 PM

Sound like a driver issue. I would suggest completely uninstall the driver and reinstall it.
June 25, 2008 6:24:07 PM

If reinstalling the drivers doesn't help try connecting the monitor through VGA input instead of DVI, if you can. Most cards come with a little DVI-to-VGA adapter for the cable. I ran into the same type of problem a few days ago, no signal when booting into Windows or after changing the resolution in Safe Mode. Turns out the monitor somehow corrupted itself and was sending faulty device ID information to the video card, now DVI input is just broken while VGA still works fine. Real bitch of a problem to fix because it involves re-flashing the EDID information in the monitor :/ 

It's not a common problem, but it's happened to quite a few people.
June 25, 2008 6:37:29 PM

It is a fresh vista install with sp1. The only drivers its ever had is the ones I downloaded. The problem seems to be getting better, it has not happened again.
June 26, 2008 4:30:56 AM

and how is it getting better? what did u do?
October 8, 2008 12:17:53 PM

How did you get it fixed and how can you flash EDID?
I have the same problem...
!