I-N73HD + e8400 HSF issue

mxvolta

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
hi there!...

thing is... when i've got my I-N73HD i tested it with my friend's p4 and the HSF didnt spin, but it works fine on his intel mobo so it wasnt the fan, then i installed my old p4 and the fan spined just fine so i thought wtf!? my friends HSF is a little ah heck! but now that i've got my e8400 the stupid fan isnt working either but it spins just fine on my friends intel mobo... and i really dont know what to do now... because the issue its not in the fan!!

any help and thoughts are welcome...

thx in advance

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Check your bios for smart fan. Chances are, it set to turn on when it reaches a specified temp, say.. 55C. Its just a feature to make your system run quiet.

mxvolta

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

thats what i thought but i waited till it got over 70C and the fan never woke up, the target temps are in like 50C but when it reached and overcome this temp it just stayed idle... i tryed disabling it too so it spins at 100% but it didnt worked either, i tested my CPU/HSF on my friend's intel mobo and it spins just fine so i know the HSF works it just wont wake on my mobo

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Sounds like there's something wrong phycially with the 4 pin connection on the MB. Dunno what to say.

RMA it, and if possible, try running the HS fan off one of the PSU rails if you have the right adaptor.

Edit:

Link Depot POW-ADT-3P4 Power 4 pin adapter to 3 pin fan adapter

12-189-119-03.jpg

mxvolta

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

i also thought of that but since my old p4 CPU/HSF still works on my mobo i guessed the 4 pin connector is not dead.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hmm...

So, your original HSF works on the I-N73HD (abit mb), but won't with the stock E8400 HSF.

But you tested it on your friends (intel mb) and it works.

Well.. if the MB power socket works with the orginal, but not the new, but the new HSF works on your friends MB, I can only conclude perhaps the wiring is different.

Can you do a good comparison, to make sure the wires are for the right pins?

mxvolta

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

i didnt thought of that... ill try it as soon as i get home thx for the quick replies man

mxvolta

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
so... the c2d HSF had a little difference in the wiring, while the old p4 HSF has a blue, green, black, yellow wiring in both the fan-end and the mobo-end, the c2d HSF has blue, green, yellow, black in the fan-end and a blue, green, black, yellow wiring in the mobo-end so that confused me a bit... so i tried to put the wiring as in the old p4 HSF turn the pc on and then... bah nothing happened, so i got really frustrated since i put my hopes in the wiring issue, so anyway i bought a Coolermaster Hyper TX2 Heatsink to get rid of the doubt of have gotten a dead stock HSF, i plugged in and turn the pc on... again nothing happened so i thought "i ruined the darn CPUFAN1 connector with the wiring experiment, ill try the SYSFAN" but the stupid HSF didnt worked either and then i was really tempted to slam my pc on the floor, i calmed down and plugged the hyper on the AUX1 connector (after i tried turn the FANEQ control off for both the CPUFAN and SYSFAN in the bios) and then the hyper started spinning (at full speed and noise obviously) but i got really upset since neither the CPUFAN1 or SYSFAN connectors work anymore and i really dont know why.

Now i have a really cool system (since the hyper is always at full speed) and a lot of doubts and thoughts of what did actually happend.

thx (NOT "everybody" just Grimmy :D) for all the replies.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Doh!! Sorry to hear about that. Usually your MB manual should tell you what the pin out is, and then go from there to figure out the fan wiring.

It seemed that it was 2 wires that were different. But then, not all MB will have the same or standard pin outs sometimes.

mxvolta

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

yeah stupid mobo! lol thx for the help and the quick replies man i really appreciate it