HDCP and HDMI

I have a Philips 30pf9946d with HDMI input.
I would like to buy a Sumsung 325 upconverting DVD recorder.
The 325 uses HDCP and Samsung's web site indicates that it will not work
with a TV that doen't have HDCP.

I called Philips and was told that they don't think my TV has HDCP.

I found this on Philips site:

The signal transmitted through a DVI connection is always encrypted with
HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) to prevent recording.
Because there will come a day when signals transmitted through a digital
connection without HDCP won't be allowed by the broadcast industry, you can't
go wrong with DVI. HDMI is backward compatible with DVI sets.

So this could imply that it might work.

Does anyone out there know about HDCP and HDMI,.

Thanks, Don
2 answers Last reply
More about hdcp hdmi

    AFAIK, all HDMI inputs/outputs have HDCP. The same cannot be said of
    ALL DVI connections.

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson wrote:
    > AFAIK, all HDMI inputs/outputs have HDCP. The same cannot be said of
    > ALL DVI connections.

    HDCP is indeed optional on DVI, although most (not all!) DTV/CE devices with
    DVI now have HDCP support. PC devices with DVI rarely have HDCP, for now.

    HDCP is "recommended" on HDMI (pp.96, HDMI 1.1 Specification), although most
    if not all HDMI implementations today have HDCP. HDMI is used almost
    exclusively on DTV/CE devices today.

    Thomas Gilg

HDTV Philips TV HDMI Home Theatre