Sign in with
Your question

motherboard bottlenecks

Last response: in Motherboards
August 12, 2008 1:46:04 AM

Big time noob question...

Can a motherboard bottleneck a CPU and/or GPU? If so, how and how badly?

I'm wondering how far I can go with this cheap HP IPIBL-LB motherboard I have.
It came with an e2200 processor. I've already upgraded the power supply and graphics card (HD4850) and I'm thinking about some day sticking an e8600 or higher into it.

If I dont plan on O/Cing and have all the slots I need is it really worth spending extra money to replace my motherboard?

August 12, 2008 3:29:39 AM

Seeing as you just upgraded with a graphics card that you will probably use for a while and thinking about getting a good processor, I would strongly suggest not to downgrade the motherboard to fall into budget. The most common mistake to make is to downgrade the motherboard and/or the power supply. This is what I did in my first rigs; it was the dumbest idea I ever had. Don't forget that all of your hardware will run through these two things.

As far as bottlenecking goes, it depends on your configuration, and no build is the same. If you ever need to get a cheap component, you should always wait; get the extra 50$ you need. In addition, you should try not to get more expensive components for a slight difference in performance. I will build yet another rig in a month, I have already chosen my CPU (e8400). Even with a 2000$ budget, I think that it's better to get a better motherboard that will support future CPUs and allow multiple upgrades. When quad-cores become widely supported, I will be willing to fork out a bit more, but until then, a cheap $200 CPU can do the job just fine. Also, why spend over 40 more for .16ghz with the 8500. It isn't worth it unless you can overclock the hell out it compared to the 8400.

If you really want to have a good graphics card and processor, wait to have enough money to get a decent PSU and Motherboard.

Thanks just my opinion.

** I didn't see the last part of you message. I doesn't really matter if you don't plan on OCing, my arguments are the same as before, if you do, or if you don't. If you don't think you'll ever SLI, then get a board that doesn't support it. Personally, I would get a board with 2 PCIe slots, just in case. If you ever want to get another card, you can crossfire it with your current 4870. I don't think it's worth getting a 3-way SLI setup at the moment, except you're a little e-**** that brags their rig all day long.

*** IF and only IF you already have the board on hand and it doesn't harm your system, then YES, use it, but don't consider this a permanent solution. Oh and one more thing, Windows OEM licenses identify your motherboard, so if you change the thing, you have to get another license. So if you're going to play with your hardware MANY times, get a retail version (inform yourself on what you can really do with retail vs. OEM before though.

August 12, 2008 3:42:48 AM

thanks for all the helpful info.

I didn't know that about the oem license. I hope that doesn't extend beyond the motherboard (ie i need to buy vista again if I replace the cpu, ram, psu etc...

It seems as though keeping my current motherboard isn't going to gimp anything so I guess I'll just keep it and add new things as necessary until I get to build a nice nehalem system.
!