AMD Phenom II X2 550 + Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Core Unlocking?

jordanngash

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hi all.

Im working on my new PC build.
I have a small budget, so instead of going for the AMD Phenom II X4 955/965.
Im thinking of getting a AMD Phenom II X2 550!

On the box of my motherboard it says Core Unlocking feature.

So i was wondering would i be able to unlock the other 2 cores to make it a quad core X4?

Just i want to make sure it works before purchasing.

(i already have the motherboard)

Thanks In Advance.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you will be able to use that board to unlock the 2 dormant cores in the Phenom II X2 550BE. Whether or not they will unlock as stable, usable cores is another issue. I had that same processor awhile back, and mine unlocked both dormant cores, and they were stable under extended runs of Prime95. In fact I was able to take the processor up to 3.6GHZ by simply increasing the multiplier. But not all folks are as lucky. I would give you a better than a 50/50 chance of unlocking both cores and them being stable, tho.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Don't.

If you want a quad core and maybe something more get a 960T and maybe it will be an X6 but even if it fails you still have an X4

If you buy an X2 beaware you just bought an X2 so if it fails to unlock stable (as it may well) you are then stuck with an X2. Dont buy a CPU and count on it unlocking.

Buy the CPU YOU NEED and if it unlocks further see it as a bonus, Never buy the CPU you don't want unless it unlocks as the odds are evens (at best)that you get what you want or not!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

It's a quad core with one core disabled for the same reason the Phenom II X2 550 has 2 cores disabled; either defective or marketing strategy. As it sits, it will be a slightly better gamer than the Phenom II X2 550 even at its lower freq.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

You can easily O/C it to be an even better gaming CPU. And if you're lucky, unlock the 4th core. Between the two, I'd opt for the PhII X3.

acmaster

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
well i plan i buying that setup right there and planned on unlocking it just for the extra speed but i wont need it. If he is successful in unlocking both cores but there not stable what will happen. Is there a possibility the motherboard or processor will burnout or maybe the graphics unit might burnout ??

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If the core(s) is unstable, it will simply not boot. Or possibly boot, but crash all the time. No harm will occur to the system. He will be fine.

acmaster

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

if the system doesnt boot is there a way to recover without a new processor

TRENDING THREADS