Sign in with
Your question

:::High capacity media storage?:::

Last response: in Storage
September 24, 2009 11:43:29 PM

Hello,

This question was asked before, but HDs change with time, so currently speaking which drive is the most reliable on the market? I will be adding them to 2 slot external HD enclosure that has lan connection/usb. I want to store movies/ standard and hd. Speed isnt really the factor, since even the small laptop hds 4800rpm are fast enough. Will the lower RPM hd be more reliable than the faster ones? Should I go with a eco-friendly drives?
Any advise would be appriciated
a b G Storage
September 28, 2009 7:40:47 AM

Reliability has nothing to do with the capacity or speed of the drive. 2TB enterprise drives work continuously for thousands of hours with failing, and you can bet that today's 7200rpm HDs are much more reliable than their older, slower counterparts.

Regarding eco-friendly drives, the only "good" reason not to get one is if you want speed. These green drives consume less power, but run slower as a result. The only way to be sure of a HD model's reliability is to look at its track-record, unfortunately available only for models that have seen wide distribution and purchase.
m
l
!