Every reboot requires CMOS reset

spritemv

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I have started encountering a problem within the last week on the computer I built last summer. I came home one day and my computer screen was blank. The fans were still whirring, but the monitor wouldn't turn on. I tested the monitor on another computer and it worked fine. I therefore reset the BIOS using the jumper and the computer was able to start up. Now, every time I reboot my computer, the same thing happens. It is fixable by resetting the BIOS with the jumper.

I'm not sure what started the problem. The system contains a 3GHz E8400 that was OC'ed to 3.6GHz on an Asus P5Q mobo. I installed an aftermarket Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and the temperature has always stayed very cool. The OC was hardly pushing the E8400 at all, as people are easily able to achieve this OC using the stock CPU cooler.

Since resetting the BIOS, I am now running the default values so the system is not OC'ed anymore, however I still have the problems booting. The strange thing is, if I press F2 to "load the default values and start up", the computer will load. However, if I press F1 to "go to the startup menu", I can verify that the default values have been loaded, but when I exit the BIOS my computer restarts again, gets stuck, and I have to use the jumper to get it to boot. Only by "loading the default values" can I get the machine to start up.

Any ideas what's wrong? Is this related to my previous OC? If so, why did it work fine for nearly a year and finally now give me trouble? Thanks for the help!

Solution
Things that could go wrong:

1) Corrupt BIOS (reflash to latest BIOS from manufacturer)

2) Your overclock affected one of the MANY components in your system.

3) Battery on motherboard is almost or already dead, replace battery with new one, apply default settings on CMOS once, and then try your O/C settings again.

Why did you system work fine all this time until now:

Overclock stresses the components like a modified engine would stress a car's systems. Everything wears out faster because they were not designed to withstand such stresses. Hence your car runs fine on the modified engine for 5 years and then al of a sudden breaks down! Of course, because it was originally designed to last for 15 years at moderate speeds. Same thing...

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Things that could go wrong:

1) Corrupt BIOS (reflash to latest BIOS from manufacturer)

2) Your overclock affected one of the MANY components in your system.

3) Battery on motherboard is almost or already dead, replace battery with new one, apply default settings on CMOS once, and then try your O/C settings again.

Why did you system work fine all this time until now:

Overclock stresses the components like a modified engine would stress a car's systems. Everything wears out faster because they were not designed to withstand such stresses. Hence your car runs fine on the modified engine for 5 years and then al of a sudden breaks down! Of course, because it was originally designed to last for 15 years at moderate speeds. Same thing with PC. It will work for some time, but the greater your overclock, the smaller the life span of your components in the PC. That could be any combination from CPU, PSU, RAM, motherboard or all together. Only by switching components in and out and testing them you will find the culprit in such a case.

Solution

spritemv

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Good news! It looks like the BIOS flash did the trick! Thanks so much for the help guys!

By the way, how does the BIOS become corrupt in the first place? Is it relatively safe to set my CPU back to 3.6GHz?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

The BIOS usually becomes corrupt from static electricity. That static could be caused by hundreds of different sources (fans spinning in case, your body when not discharged properly, etc etc) and it is not that uncommon to happen. In your place i would try putting my CPU back to the overclocked state and monitor it for instabilities for the next couple of weeks. If you see no problems then leave it there. Otherwise, either RMA the motherboard if it is still under warranty (you must be able to convince them though that there IS a problem. An overclocked system not working is NOT considered a fault if the system is working fine at default values.) or try a smaller overclock until your system is stable.

Glad you managed to solve it though! :)