Could my mobo be the reason for bad internet connection?

m-triple

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I just recently built my new computer with the GA-x48-DS4 board. Everything seems to be running fine however my biggest problem right now is the internet connection. Sometimes there is no problems, but when there is these are the symptoms:

-takes long to load websites, when it takes long to load, it feels as if i might of briefly lost my connection.
-sometimes i cant refresh a server list on steam, but if i try a minute later, it refreshes all servers very fast

i dont think its my internet connection, because i been using this on my laptop for a while now and even plugged it back into my laptop and there is no problems at all. i even updated all the drivers.

anyone got ideas on this weird problem? i am thinking it could also be something with vista(64bit), like i might of tweaked something on the laptop in the past but not on this computer, not sure what i might of did lol.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
How are you connecting to the net? Is it though a wireless connection? I recently had really bad luck with a wireless N router and had similar problems. If you are running a wireless connection and want to test if it is the computer, just do a hardwired connection and see if the problem persists. Starting from the ground up is always a good idea. Go straigt from your modem to your computer. If it is ok, then proceed to attach your router and continue to use a hard wired connection. If that checks out fine, attempt wireless (if that's what you are running.) Then get your other machines on your connection.

Keep us posted.

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Bet this is a windows error type of item. Another thought would be to reduce the speed/duplex to see if that helps. Sometimes, if there is a slightly "dirty" signal the slower speeds aren't as affected by it as the faster speeds.

m-triple

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
ill give that a run, here is the driver I am using BTW:

6th477.jpg

i just updated the driver like 5 mins ago through vista and it gave me an older driver lol

this was the driver i was using at the time of my OP:
2008/07/25
Realtek LAN Driver
O.S. : Windows Vista x86 (32-bit),Windows Vista x64 (64-bit)

I have a simmilar issue, heres what was wrong with me:

Where i live, the cable wires are stored underground. Problem is, when it rains, the area where the wires are stored floods. One bad wire, and the data from the internet can get through, but usually needs to be sent several times to be received properly (hence, the poor speeds). It took me a while to track the problem down. and the company replaced the wiring for free.

Its a long shot, but worth investigating.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
My step-dad had an interesting problem... in the winter his internet connection would get really flaky. That didn't really make a lot of sense to me since it generally rains more in the spring/summer... so it wasn't a water touching copper issue. Turns out... ants would move into his phone box in the winter and cause all kinds of havoc. His problems were very random and I think he considers himself lucky to have found the source.

Sounds painful...to the ants I mean :D

m-triple

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i've been at work all day and havent been able to try the speed/duplex but for sure i will give it a shot when i get home.

knotknut,
what did the router do to slow you down?

oh yeah i serious dont think its the wires or DSL company's fault because when i take the wire out and put it in my laptop, the internet works great. also another line connected to the router goes to my xbox360 works fine too.