ATI decided to not have a 1GB model but they stated that the partners are able to make ones if they please so I would expect to see a4870 1GB from Sapphire or HIS like normal.

Imma wait for the 4870X2. Thats where I think it will get interesting.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Do we NEED 1 gib on these cards yet? How long do you think we'd have to wait before we'd see them? I've already been waiting quite a while to put a new video card in my new system...

I picked up a Quad Q6600, 4 gig ram, DQ6 MB and I got a damn X1950pro video card in it... Almost enough to make me cry... These new cards are what I was waiting for. I just wanted to see which company came out with the right card for me and it looks like the 4870 is it. I'm a bit bumed about it not being 1gb but I guess its not that big a deal.

hannibal

Distinguished
Expect guite high prize tag for 1 gb 4870 versions... the gddr5 is not actually cheap at this moment... it's like ddr3 a year ago.
The prize will fall down eventually, I thing that then we will see more those big memory boards...

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
They might be the best bang for the buck BUT they don't work very well with some games age of conan for one.

But then that is prob a driver issue which ati has always had.

mrplow99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Well, apparently end game of Age Of Conan isnt that great anyhow so that wont bother me, im gonna be playing fps, and maybe warhammer online.

1GB of VRAM does help a bit. I have a HD2900Pro 1GB and can turn every games textures up to the highest setting without any drop in FPS. I can play Crysis with every setting up to Very High except Shadows and Water (no need for them) and still average 30FPS.

The usefulness of more VRAM is normally for higher res textures and higher res as well.