Sign in with
Your question

Backplate question

Last response: in Components
July 21, 2008 6:45:26 AM

Well I'm getting my E2200 soon and my mobo is set up to take heat sinks with screws instead of the gay "push pins" and I was wondering:

If I take off the backplate will the push pins work?

More about : backplate question

July 21, 2008 6:54:05 AM

Which back plate...Metal if yes you cant take it off it supports the cpu from flying out.

Back plate rubber thingy? if you don't take it out you CPU will blow up from heat drop under the back plate....

or you mean like ex. zalman it comes with a bracket to mount the cooler. if yes don't remove the plate install the bracket on top of the back plate.
July 21, 2008 6:59:50 AM

I really don't know how to explain it, my computer right now is completely stock from Compaq and the heatsink has four screws that screw into the mobo (thus avoiding the horrrid pushpins)

People tell me that to get the push pins to work they took off the backplate located opposite side of cpu attached to the back of the mobo otherwise the pushpins won't go in all the way and can easily be poped out because they will hit on the backplate.

are you saying if I take that off it'll fry my cpu?
Related resources
July 21, 2008 7:13:39 AM

o i have a compaq before it the screw-spring ..
you don't have a push pin do you?
and no you don't take the back plate to remove the pins. you have to turn then pull it up and it pop off.
and "people " said take off back plate?? then what gonna support the top of the cpu bracket? it fall out

July 21, 2008 7:17:49 AM

My current heatsink uses screws, for reasons I don't want to get into I will not longer have that heatsink.

I would like to know what to do to get it to work with the "Push Pins" because my E2220 will come with a heatsink that uses pushpins.
July 21, 2008 7:21:57 AM

simple the heat sink/fan e2220 comes with is pushpins ok.

when you have the heat sink fan it already in position
so you place it in place
push in any corner hard you will here a click then you push hard on the opposite side you push diagonally because that how it works. it comes with instruction.

when i had mine push pin i didn't know how it works and it hard to explain online.
July 21, 2008 7:53:49 AM

So it won't matter if the holes on my mobo are "threaded" the pushpins will still go in and work fine?
July 21, 2008 9:39:44 AM

I don't see how the pushpins would go into the threaded backplate holes. usually backplates are designed specifically for the heatsink they work with. If you change the heatsink, the backplate should go too. I can't say for sure what the backplate on your board is doing, maybe if you post some pics we can figure out if it's safe to remove. I would not attempt to use the pushpins in threaded holes, since the holes are most likely smaller than the holes on the board itself. I'd recomment pics, unless anyone else has experience with this board and backplate and can tell us if there are any consequences to removing it. Pics would be better because you'll have a wider audience to help!
July 21, 2008 11:45:02 AM

You have to be sure the 4 holes on the compaq motherboard are of sufficient size to accommodate a push type HSF and yes you will need to remove the backplate, otherwise reuse the HSF that you have.
If you are able to use an aftermarket HSF. I would say, get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.
!