SCSI Drive and Backplane issue

Riteconv

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Dear all,

I have an Intel Dual Xeon server with the following specs:
Manufacturer: Intel
Model: SE7501WV2
Chassis: Intel Server Chassis SR2300 (2U)
Processor: Dual Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz, Socket 604 INT3/FCPGA
FSB: 533 MHz
Chipset: Intel E7501 chipset
Memory: 4 x 1GB DDR266, Registered ECC DIMMs
SCSI controller: embedded Adaptec AIC-7902W controller providing dual Ultra320 Low Voltage Differential (LVD) SCSI channels (accessible at rear panel I/O and internally).

The SCSI bus is terminated on the server board with active terminators that cannot be disabled.
The onboard device must always be at one end of the bus. The device at the other end of the cable
must also be terminated. LVD devices generally do not have termination built-in and need to have a termination source provided. Non-LVDs devices generally are terminated through a jumper or
resistor pack on the device itself.

(SEE ATTACHED MOTHERBOARD DIAGRAMS)

Additionally installed to the SCSI channel B integrated motherboard-connector (68-pin) is a SCSI backplane board that can accommodate a total of seven SCSI hard drives.

My question now is:
is it possible to only install one SCSI hard disk to the backplane because when I do this there’s no possibility in the SCSI BIOS utility to terminate and assign the disk a unique ID. In the documentation is stated that I can use a minimum of 1(one) SCSI drive for *HostRAID without RAID capabilities.

HostRAID™ is a product that adds entry-level RAID functionality to SCSI ASICs and SCSI cards. With HostRAID you can add reliable performance and full data protection for storage systems using SCSI controllers.

HostRAID provides:
- an easy to use BIOS based setup and rebuild utility called
SCSISelect®.
- an alert utility for Microsft Windows® that provides automatic
error notification, warnings, and task information.
Features
HostRAID offers the following basic and advanced features:
- Bootable array support
- Support for up to 2 RAID arrays per channel in these combinations:
- One RAID 0 with 3 or 4 drives
- Two RAID 0s with two drives each
- One RAID 0 with two drives and one RAID 1
- Two RAID 1s with or without a spare each
- Support for Ultra320 products
- Adaptec SCSI Card 39320D, 39320, 29320, 29320LP
- AIC-7902
- Support for all major SCSI peripherals
- Complete RAID configuration and management utility in the BIOS
- Support for transparent array (data) migration to Adaptec Intelligent RAID cards
- Support for Auto Rebuild (if there is a spare)
- Support for Auto Verify
- Support for Check Pointing
System Requirements
- The minimum system requirements for HostRAID are:
- A Pentium II, 266 MHz Processor or higher system that supports PCI/PCI-X
- A minimum of one SCSI drive for HostRAID without RAID capabilities
- A minimum of two SCSI drives for HostRAID with RAID
- capabilities
- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
- Floppy disk drive
- 64 MB or more of system memory
- 5 MB of free hard disk space

Many thanks for having a look at my issue.

Kind regards,

Raoul

riteconv@hotmail.com

exq

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Do you want to add an existing drive or a new one?
I assume the bus is a 16 bit one,- how many existing drives do you have?
Can you scan your drive with the hostraid utility? Harddrives usually have the jumper settings from0-7 to assign the channel id , so optimally you just should place the jumper to 0 (before you connect) some do not have and have P&P capabilities. Will look into more.

Riteconv

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Dear Exq thanks for your reply,

I just want to find out if it's possible to connect the only SCSI disk to the Host Bus via the backplane board. The SCSI backplane board can host 7 hot plug SCSI drives and it connects straight into the internal onboard SCSI connector. The SCSI drive is an Ultra 3 LVD with no jumper options available to configure the ID and has a SCA connector at the back that plugs straight into the SCSI backplane. If I try to scan it, it only finds the host controller and some other device but not the harddrive.

Riteconv

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Dear Exq thanks for your reply,

I just want to find out if it's possible to connect the only SCSI disk to the Host Bus via the backplane board. The SCSI backplane board can host 7 hot plug SCSI drives and it connects straight into the internal onboard SCSI connector. The SCSI drive is an Ultra 3 LVD with no jumper options available to configure the ID and has a SCA connector at the back that plugs straight into the SCSI backplane. If I try to scan it, it only finds the host controller and some other device but not the harddrive.

exq

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
do you have any other drives connected to another controller ? you shuld be no problem connecting just 1, however as far as I've seen serial SCA still has jumpers just not that many yep, ulvd is becoming the scsi-2 standard, give me some time will ask a friend, i'm not rdealing with these on a daily basis:)

Riteconv

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
The one thing that drives me crazy is that there's also a single integrated IDE controller channel on the motherboard but that there's no way I can find a molex power connector to power IDE devices so I think it's a backplane based server that does the data handling and power regulation via the backplane board.

exq

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
i just went thru all docs and when it's stated that you can use only 1 drive in raid, it refers to zero raid pci added card, in the technical documentation it states that in this case :"the SCSI interrupts are routed to the RAID adapter instead of to the PCI interrupt controller. In addition, the IDSEL of the SCSI controller is not driven to the controller and thus will not respond as an on board device. The host-based I/O device is effectively hidden from the system. " will read more, should check if the IRQ and ID tables are assigned for the 2 scsi controllers and not mixed up