Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • NAS / RAID
  • Raptor
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 25, 2009 1:31:27 PM

Hello all,

I am hoping to get some nice opinions from the community here. As my dreams of a totaly new system have been shattered (economy be damned) i have resighned myself to simply upgrade my Hd's and OS to windows 7.

I have two arrays, the 2nd (wich really isnt the topic) is a mirorred set of 1.5tb Seagates, to which i back up regularly, so dont worry about saving data.

I am upgradeing to 7 pro from vista ultimate (one of the lucky ones who have had 0 issues with that os). By upgrade i do not mean upgrade install. I am performing a clean install.

My current boot stripe is an atrocity. The more i have learned the more i know that this is kinda bad. I have 2 completely different hd's, different capacities, manufacturese etc, in a stripe.

I want to rectify this.

I see two options in front of me. I am open to other ideas as well.

Option 1, Get two WD raptors and stripe them
Option 2, get two other hds and stripe them

Know that primaraly, this is used for gaming. I do watch tv via tv tuner most days, but media editing is not something that is regularly done. All of my games would also be loaded onto this array (im a steam junkie so i have a LOT of games)

Will there be a significant performance difference between striping two 7200 rpm disks vs 2 raptors? Significant enough to warrant the cost involved (approximatly 200 extra bucks).
If you do not belive so, please point me at reccomended HD's.

I appreciate your time.

More about : raid 7200rpm raid raptor

September 25, 2009 1:42:09 PM

csmithson said:
Hello all,

I am hoping to get some nice opinions from the community here. As my dreams of a totaly new system have been shattered (economy be damned) i have resighned myself to simply upgrade my Hd's and OS to windows 7.

I have two arrays, the 2nd (wich really isnt the topic) is a mirorred set of 1.5tb Seagates, to which i back up regularly, so dont worry about saving data.

I am upgradeing to 7 pro from vista ultimate (one of the lucky ones who have had 0 issues with that os). By upgrade i do not mean upgrade install. I am performing a clean install.

My current boot stripe is an atrocity. The more i have learned the more i know that this is kinda bad. I have 2 completely different hd's, different capacities, manufacturese etc, in a stripe.

I want to rectify this.

I see two options in front of me. I am open to other ideas as well.

Know that primaraly, this is used for gaming. I do watch tv via tv tuner most days, but media editing is not something that is regularly done. All of my games would also be loaded onto this array (im a steam junkie so i have a LOT of games)

Will there be a significant performance difference between striping two 7200 rpm disks vs 2 raptors? Significant enough to warrant the cost involved (approximatly 200 extra bucks).
If you do not belive so, please point me at reccomended HD's.

I appreciate your time.

it all depends on your controller, if you are going to use the same controller ( if you are using hardware based one - but not the IO hub or a software one but PCIe based makes the biggest difference regarding performance in my experience. If you are using an onboard software raid controller i'd invest to a hardware PCIe and use the same drives. My 2 cents
m
l
September 25, 2009 1:45:02 PM

Really? so the raid controler on the intel DP35DP is not considerd a hardware raid?
I had made an assumption that since it wasnt going throuhg the PCI/PCIe bus that it would have improved performance.
m
l
Related resources
September 25, 2009 1:51:26 PM

if you look at the Io hub design you'll see how differently the PCIe and SATA instructions are set - not talking about the PCI - even pci is faster than the hub raid sata path. PCI bus is set to a 33 Mhz clock speed vs 100Mhz for SATA and PCIe, but SATA has 3 times more calls to the hub than the PCI/PCIe, SATA is only half duples, and you can achieve fullduplex via PCI/PCIe, so it has a lot less overhead.
m
l
September 25, 2009 1:54:59 PM

very interesting. do you have a controller you would suggest?
m
l
September 25, 2009 2:04:47 PM

csmithson said:
very interesting. do you have a controller you would suggest?

at home i have a workstation and I use ith with a HIghPoint RpcketRaid2640X4 controller - it's cheap i got it for 150 bucks at newegg, it is software based!!! but I have a dual xeon setup, and I run 4 SAS drives, but tested it ith sata as well and it's really fast. At work my machine uses a Highpoint2340PCIe-8X. ( hardware based) Both are really reliable.
m
l
September 25, 2009 2:58:45 PM

I really appreicate everything your posting!

As i like to verify anything i get, i checked around. im not sure i want to dump over $100 on a raid controller unless i will actually see a difference. What i have gathered from other various sites is that if you are xfering massive amounts of data IE file servers, media editing etc, that a hardware raid card may be the best route to go.

However, since i am just playing games, it may be over kill.

I guess i would reform my question as follows.

If a striped 2 raptors, would the output of the array exceed what the ICH9 chip can handle?

If so then i will more than likely end up going with a new pair of 7200 rpm drives.

again, i appreciate your input and look forward to your comments.
m
l

Best solution

September 25, 2009 3:29:22 PM

csmithson said:
I really appreicate everything your posting!

As i like to verify anything i get, i checked around. im not sure i want to dump over $100 on a raid controller unless i will actually see a difference. What i have gathered from other various sites is that if you are xfering massive amounts of data IE file servers, media editing etc, that a hardware raid card may be the best route to go.

However, since i am just playing games, it may be over kill.

I guess i would reform my question as follows.

If a striped 2 raptors, would the output of the array exceed what the ICH9 chip can handle?

If so then i will more than likely end up going with a new pair of 7200 rpm drives.

again, i appreciate your input and look forward to your comments.

in a nutshell, your performance maily based on two of the followings- your CPU and your Hub (ich9), the hub dumps all the computations on the processor. I have not studies the ich9 architecture extensively. Calculating- sorting and sequencing algorithms add additional calls/interrupts to your cpu from your hub ( and vica verse) so that's why i highlighted that if you are implementing software raid (not hardware, which is RAID on a dedicated chip with its own dedicated memory) the underlying sata/pcie instructions and logic is more significant than hdd spin speed alone.

there are only 3 ways to improve data flow in your case: 1. upgrade CPU ( marginal result) 2. upgrade hdd ( marginal result) 3 upgrade to PCIe path controller ( more significant than the rest) the best optimal would be to upgrade the controller to a pcie based one plus upgrade the disks to a higher spin speed with bigger buffers. Of course , wallet issues limit your options :) 
September 25, 2009 3:48:37 PM

true enough!

as my cpu is nowhere NEAR taxed (according to my system monitor) it spends most of its life sub 50%, i will probably just go for two 7200 rpm disks. if for nothing else than getting two hard drives that are the same make,modle and capacity... and that are under 4 years old. im honestly surpised these have lasted as long as they have.

thanks again for all your input, i would never have thought of the onboard raid controller as a limiting factor :) .
m
l
a c 128 G Storage
September 27, 2009 6:10:02 PM

csmithson said:

If you check the Hard Drive charts here at THG, you will see that the Raptor gets beat by all the latest 72000 rpm drives in almost every category and doesn't have a good reliability record (see storagereview.com). The new 7200 rpm drives however each excel in different areas, so which one you pick will depend on what you plan to do with it.
m
l
!